PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
This is the 50th anniversary of the assassination of President John F. Kennedy.
I was a student at Officer Candidate School in Newport, Rhode Island, scheduled to graduate on Friday, November 22, 1963. Two weeks before, the President had visited the Naval Base on his yacht, the HoneyFitz. Seeing my Commander in Chief was a thrill for this young officer candidate. During the graduation ceremonies, our commanding officer spoke of the fact that our commissions had been signed by President Kennedy, and approved by the Senate, as the Constitution required. I and my classmates marched out, proud, with our shiny gold lace on our uniforms. We were ensigns in the U.S. Navy, and we were so proud, the buttons were about to pop off our shirts!
I stepped into my new car, bought with the money I would be earning as a naval officer, and drove off, beaming, wanting to march down every main street in the country, showing off my single gold stripe. I turned on the radio to find some music I could sing along with, and I heard an announcer's voice saying, "Dallas is in pandemonium." To no one in particular, I said, "Well, that's nice. Wonder what's going on in Dallas right now." I tried to recall what football game was supposed to be taking place in Dallas. Then the announcer went on, and suddenly it struck me what he was talking about.
I stopped the car, pulled over to the side, sat there stunned, thinking, "this can't be happening in modern‑day America." But it could‑‑and did. I wept for a few moments‑‑the first time I had ever wept as an adult. Around me I noticed that other cars had pulled over, as drivers sat too shocked to drive. A lot has changed in America since that day, and so much of it not for the better. Attacks on presidents have been almost commonplace, and for the rest of us, we have drive‑by shootings, rampant crime, you name it. Did it start then, or had the seeds been planted long ago and were simply beginning to sprout? It was the end of Camelot, and for a rosy cheeked young ensign, the beginning of adulthood.

ctron

Lurker
Mar 25, 2013
Thats an amazing story rav. Thank you for your service to our country, and thank you for sharing your personal experience on that moment in history. My parents hadn't even been born yet now that I think about the math. Simply amazing.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
I think it was an event that shocked us into realizing that we aren't immune to terrorist acts.Other acts since then have only re enforced that knowledge.It's an evil world and it seems to be getting worse..It happened so long ago that only us old timmers were around then.To young folks it a part of history.I'm not sure how much meaning it has to them today.

nachman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2013
That day was formative for our generation. We all remember where we were that day, because it was a day that changed everything and everyone. There is one day like that in each generation. In our parents generation it was the beginning of WWII. Ours was the asassination of president Kennedy. For the young generation I would imagine it is the Two Towers.

jservant98

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 19, 2013
Southern Oregon
That is a touching story Rav, thanks. It is quite sad that President Kennedy was so brutally killed like that. From what I have watched, He was a great president and tried to do what was right for our country. I have watched many documentaries on his life and assassination, what a tragedy.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Thanks for sharing your story. Our local papers have been doing similar stories all week. I was only 2 at the time, so I have no memory of the event. I remember his brother Bobby's death in '68.
Do you still have your commission papers signed by Kennedy? That would be pretty neat to have hanging on the wall.

pipefish

Can't Leave
Aug 25, 2013
Thanks for the post, ravkesef. As a teacher of history I am always fascinated with first hand accounts of moments in history. I really appreciated all of the details and emotions you described as you heard the news. A touching post, and thank you for your service to our country.
Those that were alive during the Kennedy assassination also remember when Oswald was killed on live TV. While I've read much about the subject, I can't imagine what must have been going through people's minds during those two days where a president, and then his assassin, were killed.
For those who might be interested, a very impressive documentary was released a few years ago titled "JFK--Three Shots that Changed America." The documentary takes the viewer through the entire two days up through the killing of Oswald as it happened. No narration. Only screen text and raw footage. The viewer can, then, get a sense of how people were learning about the assassination as it happened, with no talking heads telling the viewer what was happening or interpretations. The viewer makes his/her own conclusions. Here are the youtube links to both parts:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yg0f_QHNSUw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oE6NoGiAqE
I am a Gen Xer, and our national tragedy was, in my opinion, the Challenger explosion back in 1986. I can still remember where I was when watching it live on TV.

jkenp

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2013
NW Indiana
I was student squadron commander coming back across the squadron area after lunch and after marching in the noon parade when a guy came running out of the orderly shack shouting, "The President has been shot." My first thought was the guy was nuts. Come to find out, he wasn't.
This was at Shepard AFB which, beside the Air Training Command, housed Bombers (Heavy). That was 52's with nukes. A bit later and after finding the story true, I saw them all taking off at military max. You could smell the kerosene and hear the roar. Not a good day.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I was still in high school and remember the slow dawning of what had happened on my way back to "home room"

where we had been summoned. The rest of the weekend my family watched the coverage and the funeral, some of it with

my grandmother who was born in the 19th Century. I had loved watching JFK do news conferences after school,

with such intellect and wit; he was a true master of television as a medium. I remember the Vaugn Meader comedy

record one holiday season impersonating JFK. I was never a starry-eyed admirer of President Kennedy. I shared

some of his political positions, but saw some of his frailty as a leader too. For a kid, I was a pretty skeptical and

sophisticated political observer. But the loss of public optimism and participation that died with Kennedy was clearly

a blow to the U.S. and to many areas of the world which had caught that sense of aspiration.

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
Ah yes, I remember the day well. Let's see, I was negative nine years old at that time... :P
Good story, enjoyed reading it! :)

flmason

Lifer
Oct 8, 2012
Thanks for sharing your memories. I was less than 1 week away from being 3 years old so I do not have any memories. When I lived in TX I visited the museum and exhibits that were available. I have read many articles that were published by CNN and USA Today and tonight there will be special coverage on TV.

swampmouth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2013
My mom was in the hospital that day. I popped out four days later. It's had a profound effect on my life. Not sure why. I would have hated living through that.

Status
Not open for further replies.