PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Scheduling often varies around the U.S., but on many PBS stations in the EDT zones, Ken Burns Vietnam War Documentary will premier tonight (Sept. 17, 2017) at 8 p.m., the first two hours of ten, i think it is. Check your own listings to be sure, if you are interested. Nothing on the Vietnam War will be universally or even generally acclaimed, because of the divisive nature of the war, not only in the U.S. but in both North and South Vietnam, as it turns out. One feature to recommend this series is that the film makers avoided the usual leadership figures and protest figures justifying their own behavior, and went instead to people who actually did the fighting on both sides, who had never been interviewed before, to try to stay with the factual events rather than the purported policy. Even if you agree with little or none of it, you will likely learn some new things and experience some surprises. One of the promotions for the series featured a tape of LBJ, before the major build-up, telling a senior advisor, who could hardly get a word in, that Vietnam looked like a military engagement without any benefit to the U.S. LBJ was stubborn and adamant on the subject. Self-contradictory.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Ken Burns' conclusions always seem to differ from mine. I have to remember that he's selling his product and needs the widest audiences possible. I can't comlain about that, just good old American ingenuity and entrepreneurial spirit at work.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Not to be political, but Lady Bird was a major Stock holder in Brown,& Root, they did a lot of work there .Burns may put lipstick on the pig, but I saw up close and personal how it was. Sad,Sad,Sad!

snowyowl

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2015
he's selling his product and needs the widest audiences possible [...] just good old American ingenuity and entrepreneurial spirit at work.
Was it Kennedy or Johnson or Nixon who had that thought in their time?

---

Vietnam "War": Been there, done that for 1.5 tours.

On the other hand, I did win that lottery, so-drafted!?

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
@Brad- LBJ and Lady Bird sure had lots of stock in Bell Helicopter, as well. I'm sure they didn't make any profit off of it during the war, though... :wink:

snowyowl

Oct 21, 2015
I'm sure they didn't make any profit off of it during the war
Silly rabbit. Win or lose a war?!

This has no bearing on profit or loss.

Just like Sunday's NFL games... the bookmakers have no real interest in who wins or loses. Just a vested interest.

No skin in the game.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I figured selling thousands of Hueys to the Army might be some skin in the game, but I could be wrong.

snowyowl

Oct 21, 2015
I figured selling thousands of Hueys to the Army might be some skin in the game, but I could be wrong.
For your example: those choppers are bought and paid for upfront; not contingent on any outcome (or flag for that matter).

---

Insert materials retailer name here:

Is your conflict not going well?

Is it a prolonged engagement?

We're here for you... need more Hueys?

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I didn't think it would be. No matter what, Bell stockholders made dividends when sales were booming.

snowyowl

Oct 21, 2015
I didn't think it would be. No matter what, Bell stockholders made dividends when sales were booming.
Well points!

That is indeed: Presidential Logic, 2017.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
What an interesting war. I think Burns got cucked a few years ago and has preached the party line ever since. I liked Ladybird when I met her.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Predictably shallow in it's analysis. People have had 70 years to think about the history, yet the Burn's piece offers very little insight, or information beyond the simplistic, broad brush approach to the telling of the history. One and done...I must not be the target audience.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I expected the first two one-hour episodes, but instead got a repetition of the first episode. I also thought it was odd that the local station offered a counseling line for anyone, vets I suppose, who had emotional turmoil viewing this. I was glad to see that McNamara and Bundy weren't given screen time, at least in the first episode. Some of the Vietnamese veterans on either side were interesting to hear from. The history on the French defeat in 'Nam was interesting, but familiar. I'm annoyed that neither my local station nor the PBS system makes clear the schedule of subsequent parts of the series. I seem to be "enjoying" this more than others, but it looks like I'll be lucky to see episode two, and so on. Since there was so much disparity on how the war was seen at the time, I suspect there will never be national consensus on a public narrative, but it's still interesting to see narratives constructed. As we sat in Danang Harbor, my shipmates lamented that Lady Bird was a big investor in SeaLand (I think it was) the big container ship corporation that brought supplies to the military. She was Lyndon's surrogate for radio stations and other major investments while he was in office.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Oh no, that counselling line was almost certainly for anyone 15-30 who may have been triggered. Like when local high schools here had to have safe rooms for the emotional processing of the November elections...
It is incredible to me the lack of mental toughness I see demonstrated in this country today. God help us if we ever have another real (1930's) depression.

cranseiron

May 17, 2013
McHenry, MS
mso, our state PBS website has all ten segments available for viewing online. I suspect yours will also. Might be more convenient for you that way.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
Burns preaches the party line?
The first episode mostly background for the folks that aren't as smart as you guys.
I'm sure the counseling line was for Vets...
You never know.. A good friend (rvn vet) who had never had a problem went on a cruise he and the wife took one of those back county tours on one of the islands and he flipped out being in the jungle and seeing tin shacks that looked like what you would see in Vietnam.

Status
Not open for further replies.