PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ken56

Might Stick Around
Sep 30, 2018
I have been using a Hoppe's waxing cloth for a number of years on wood products. It is great for any metal parts too. I would just use it for your Pipe's exterior only. Anyone else try these?

K
https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipPYyEBsaZ73onpBkwASulMdWP6EMyJ43mXswjY

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Never heard of that 1. Have used the trick of spraying a soft rag with Pledge, letting it dry, and using it as a buffing rag on bowl and stems for years. Works pretty well and the use on the stems of my p-lips, (or other stems for that matter), will remove the initial oxidized layer that builds up after smoking and inhibit future oxidation with repeated use. Of course. it won't do much to remove built-up oxidation.

ken56

Might Stick Around
Sep 30, 2018
Yes Pledge works well also - But it goes on wet with a buff off needed. With Hoppe's everything stays dry - you just rub the cloth on your bowl and stem.
Also - Do not use the Gray Hoppe's cloth - that is for metal parts mainly.
This is not a replacement for a complete Pipe restoration - It is just a quick rub down after use.

A lot of folks use Olive oil, Canuba wax, pipe wax etc. For a more complete Restoration.

K.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

I've never understood why people don't just get a buffer? I got a 1750 motor off eBay for $35 delivered, and then ordered some buffs, compounds, and wax from Vermont Freehand. I know it's an investment for some, but it allows me to shine my pipes if I chose and do some light refurbishing as well.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Mineral oil on both stem and bowl. Occasionally Paragon or Halcyon for a nice glow. I don't like Pledge for furniture or pipes due to chemicals in it.

ken56

Might Stick Around
Sep 30, 2018
"I just put my pipes in a stolen shopping cart and run them through a full cycle at the carwash" - Brilliant!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Just tried that, but got bushwhacked by one of those huge spinning roller brushes that "caress" the back window and trunk (boot).

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I just use toothpaste on stems and a jewelers cloth for shining the pipe and stem.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Not at all, the jewelers cloth has a polish embedded in the cloth. Wipe with the polish side then buff with the darker side and they are good to go.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I just put my pipes in a stolen shopping cart and run them through a full cycle at the carwash.
Not just any old shopping cart, but a stolen shopping cart. Hopefully from those cadaverous buzzards at Wal-Mart.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Chasing Embers,but doesn't Jewelers cloths affect negatively on the briar wood,since my understanding is that these clothes are designated for polishing silver and other soft metals.
Not at all. It actually is an improvement over Savinelli's Magic cloth.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
Simple maintenance will keep them looking good for years. I wipe the rim and mouthpiece with a damp cloth followed by a quick hand buff with microfiber.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
On the rare occasion that I shine up one of my pipes, I use a Dunhill polishing cloth. The cloth works fine and I have had it for years. I use Obidisian on my stems on a regular basis.

Status
Not open for further replies.