PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ben88

Lifer
Jun 5, 2015
Quebec
I am starting to cellar some bulk tobacco. Using 1L maison jars. I think it would be a good idea to keep tobacco hydrated. What can I use instead of humidifier stone? Floral foam? Pieces of unglazed ceramic pot? Or should I hydrate tobacco first and then jar it? And do you really need to sterilize the jars?

wilson

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2013
For tobacco that is in good condition when you put it in mason jars, there is no need to add anything to keep it hydrated. The moisture will be sealed in by the jar and all should be good. If you have tobacco that has become dry and you want to put it in jars, I'd re-hydrate first.

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
I always wipe out my jars with alcohol before use, better safe than sorry. When rehydrating, I use a piece of terracotta soak in water in a jar other than the jar for storage.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
No need to add humidity to tobacco that's come appropriately from its manufacturer. Pipe tobacco is different from cigars in that it does not need (or like) high humidity. In fact, I'd actually be worried about adding humidity- I'd fear mold growth.
If you pack it tightly into a mason jar, then seal it up without much excess air....you'll be fine!

mlyvers

Can't Leave
Sep 23, 2012
I agree, no need to hydrate or rehydrate your tobac, unless your buying over the counter packaged tobacco that maybe very dry. If you need to hydrate I would lightly spray the tobac with Di h2o, then mix the tobac by hand, DO NOT OVER DO IT. Use mason jars for storing the tobac. I prefer my tobac on the dry side for smoking. You can also purchase small disc that will absorb the h2o, then just put the disc in the tobacco and store in jar of some sort to allow hydration. Good luck.....

Status
Not open for further replies.