PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
I've been at the pipe smoking hobby for 3 months now and I'm really enjoying it. However, I just can't seem to get the bowl to stay lit. I mean I'm often emptying my butane pipe lighter for a single bowl. I've tried the three step method, the Frank method, the puff & stuff. I've rubbed out my flakes, I've cube cut my flakes. I've dried the tobaccos for hours before loading up and I still am constantly lighting and re-lighting. I am enjoying the flavours and am starting to get the subtle nuances of some tobaccos, but I just can't keep the darn things lit. I wish I could since often the only time I have to smoke is in my car on the way home from work and relighting is hazardous to my health!!! Any advice would be appreciated.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Thanks Mike, its dry as a bone here right now (just outside of Toronto) and cold. I rubbed out the Escudo and it stayed lit for about half the bowl and the second half was re-lght after relight. I puff a lot too, thought maybe that was part of the problem.
Brian

withnail

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2011
United Kingdom
The method I used is - a brief charring light followed by a gentle tamp down, repeat (again with a gentle tamp down). Then I hold the flame to a bowl as I take a couple of long draws. That should give you a nice even burn to start with. After that, it is just a case of practice to get the pace and strength of the draw right - keeping it lit without the bowl over heating.
One more thing - when I first started smoking a pipe I, like many others, learnt from the net rather than from another smoker. Because there are so many warning about being careful not to over pack the bowl with tobacco, I was actually going to far the other way. Packing the tobacco just a little firmer helped keep the pipe lit.
Hope that helps and I'm sure others will offer hints & tips.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Thanks withnail, I just missed a pipe night at my local B&M due to family reasons that I was really looking forward to. There are some old pro's that go to the pipe nights and I was hoping to learn from them. I'll try packing a little firmer tonight and see what happens.

eibhir

Can't Leave
Jan 16, 2013
United States
I've found that if I pack it to the consistency of the fleshy part of my hand and tamp it regularly it stays lit. Good luck!

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
The method I used is - a brief charring light followed by a gentle tamp down, repeat (again with a gentle tamp down). Then I hold the flame to a bowl as I take a couple of long draws. That should give you a nice even burn to start with. After that, it is just a case of practice to get the pace and strength of the draw right - keeping it lit without the bowl over heating.
+1
Especially: Then I hold the flame to a bowl as I take a couple of long draws
Got to get a good fire going in the beginning.

withnail

Oct 30, 2011
United Kingdom
One more thing to look at. Next time you have trouble keeping the second half of the bowl lit, dump it out and check to see of it's damp. Some pipes can allow condensation and tar to build up, soaking the tobacco in the lower part of the bowl.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
If you have the ability to experiment with pipes, I say smoke the same tobacco in as many of your pipes as you can.
Sometimes (for reasons unknown to mankind) a certain tobacco and a pipe will just click so well together that it's almost impossible to know why. The cut of the tobacco, the way the pipe handles the burning temp of that particular blend, etc. Some things just go together.
Good luck!

trailspike48

Jan 15, 2013
As I learned from members of this forum, don't forget to tap out your ash occasionally. The layer of ash on top of the tobacco caused me to relight many times after the first half of the bowl. I'm enjoying smoking a lot more since I started empting the ash.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Many new smokers do not pack tight enough or dump ash enough. You would probably be amazed at how tightly I pack my cube cut flakes and they burn great. After packing make sure there is good amount of resistance on the draw, too loose means you will have to relight a lot. Also when you relight carefully use the pick of tour tamper and loosen the ash, tilt the pipe gently and scrape out the ash. It is difficult to keep pipe lit with a boat load of ash in it. Let us know how you make out.

salewis

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2011
I to smoke flake tobacco (Virginia flakes). Try hand rubing the flakes a little and at the top of the bowl rub out out the flakes even more. This thin top layer will act as kindling. Also, you are using a butane lighter which burns hotter than wood matches or fuel lighters so you should have too much trouble lighting you pipe. Finally, ensure that you are not packing the bottom of your bowl too tightly, use a charring light and dump your ash at least two or three times through the bottom of the bowl. Your pipes engineering may be too restricted in your drafts. Read Rick Newcome's book "In Search of Pipe Dreams" for guidance about pipe engineering and opening up your pipe's draft. Good luck.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
If you are not dumping your ash before halfway tru the bowl, it will take a relight but won't hold it mate. When you find that it won't stay lit for you, just take a second and dump the ash. Dollars to donuts that's your trouble.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Thanks for all the advice folks, I have a new Chacom pipe that's calling out to me so I plan on putting your advice to the test tonight. Think I'll try some escudo for the first bowl

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
So I didnt get the Chacom, but a really nice Lorenzetti instead, and I followedc your advice. Packed tighter, did 2 charring lights and really put the flame to the true light and tamped more. Result, didnt need to relight untill my son woke up halfway through (darn 3 yr olds!!) Probably only relit 3 or 4 times. Thanks for the help guys.

pipefish

Can't Leave
Aug 25, 2013
I've been having the same problem as brdavidson, and after reading these posts I'm definitely going to be "tapping that ash so my pipe will stay lit." This is double-entendre nightmare!! Really hoping this will help as the relights are frustrating!

kylemaxwell

Lurker
Aug 14, 2013
I've also been experimenting with dumping my ash halfway through a smoke, and it's been working great. But I try not to stir around what's left in the bowl too much because I've received hot ash in my mouth on many occasions.
Regarding "tapping dat ash", this is what came to mind :mrgreen: http://www.tapdatashtray.com/

irwinmetro

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 31, 2013
Nice to know I'm not the only one who pokes the ash a bit before dumping. I find that i have a tendency to burn deeper in the middle than the edges, so I'll pick out the ash in the middle and use the tamper to even out the surface again before relighting.
Also, if I've been burning along for a good 20 minutes or so, I'll usually tamp a little bit again just to see what direction this bowl is heading.

hfearly

Oct 11, 2012
Canada
Practice, practice, practice. Also, if you have a lot of different pipes they will smoke differently and you might need to learn a new rhythm for each pipe.
Overall you want to:
- have the tobacco dried out a bit (should neither feel wet nor dry to the touch, be springy, not crumble when pinched between fingers)
- make sure you don't pack too loose. The ember needs to progress through the tobacco while smoking. If you are using a 3 step fill method, the individual layers might not necessarily touch and you will lose ember between these layers quite easily. I found the easiest way to get a nice consistent pack is to take out a little bit more from a tin than you think fits the bowl, spread it on a sheet of paper ("dissect!" , I.e. really take the strands apart), let dry for 10 minutes. Then I create a little packet of tobacco, and twist that whole packet into the bowl (rotating). As the packet was a little more than fits the bowl you will have strands sticking out on top. Those I compress down until it fits just beneath the rim. Tuck the ends in.
- get a good even light across the whole surface. I.e., the whole surface glows and the charred surface is flat (no hills and valleys).
- only tamp when your smoke gets faint in the draw. Tamping has to be done sparsely and carefully, it's super easy to extinguish the ember when tamping down!
- keep a steady rhythm, depending on the blend, something like a 2 seconds draw every 8 seconds or so. It's okay for the pipe to go out if you rest it for a while. Some good blends you can rest the pipe for two minutes and its still burning, those are the exceptions.
I almost never have to re-light a pipe once its started. It's really a matter of experience I think to learn when to tamp, how hard and long to draw, how dense to pack, etc. and see how the pipe reacts.

Status
Not open for further replies.