PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

elmafudd2

Lurker
Nov 16, 2015
Hi all, just joined the forum from the UK. I am very new to pipe smoking, i have two pipes - a peterson and a church warden! few questions - how do you keep your pipes nice and fresh? Also pipe and tobacco pouches, do they take on the aroma of the tobacco in the pouch and does that aroma ghost into any new tobacco you store after the first lot? Cheers Dr Andy :)

michaelmirza

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2015
Chicago, IL
Bare minimum: run a pipe cleaner through your pipe after every smoke, and let it dry fully before smoking it again. As for tobacco storage, get yourself a mason jar for each blend. Those are the basics!

jmsutton

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2014
Be sure not to remove the stem of your pipe until it has completely cooled down. It also helps to keep the pipes fresh if you store them with the bowl down and the stem up, in a vertical manner. Welcome to the family!

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
I run a pipe cleaner or 2 down my pipes when I'm done smoking and then after 20-30 smokes I disassemble the pipe and give it a thorough cleaning using bristle pipe cleaners and high proof grain alcohol.....usually vodka in my case.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
My pipes get funky if I don't let them rest and dry after a few smokes. I also have a leather roll up pouch for my tobacco that took about 8 oz of tobacco ( 2 oz at a time) before the smell of the past owners tobacco disappeared completely.
Welcome to the forum Dr Andy!

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
I find that my pipes remain fresh and clean so long as I don't smoke them, but if this simply isn't an option, I follow the advice above. A good pipe cleaner (as opposed a bad one) and I usually use a soft toothbrush to remove loose "stuff" from the inside of the bowl. The reason is twofold, I hate rancid tobacco inside my bowl and secondly, the cake on the toothbrush provides a mild nicotine buzz when I use it to brush before bedtime :)

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Why davet, do your pipes have that not so fresh feeling?
hahaha-024.gif

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Smoke them once and throw them in the fireplace as kindling. It's the only ay to ensure a fresh pipe.
OP- here's what I do.
I'll run a pipe cleaner through a bowl while smoking to remove any moisture and I'll repeat this as necessary.
After smoking, I'll dump the bowl and immediately wipe down the rim with a pipe cleaner moistened with saliva.

Then I'll remove the stem by gently twisting in a clockwise motion and will run pipe cleaners from the bit to the tenon side. I don't cool the pipe down.

Next, I'll run a cleaner through the shank to the bowl. Typically this requires folding the cleaner.
I'll reattach the stem gently twisting in a clockwise motion again.

Then I corkscrew a tissue in to the bowl to "dry ream" and clear any loose material and will blow through the stem to clear any remaining debris.
Lastly, I'll polish my pipe and stem with a soft cloth (my shirt) and will insert a cleaner into the airway and put the pipe away.
Keep in mind I use as many pipe cleaners as it takes until they come out clean. It sounds like a lot but it takes about 2-3 minutes and I never need to worry about cleaning a pipe with spirits and have no off tastes to bother with.
This reminds me, we should have a new pipe smokers guide stickied here. Who wants to write it?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
BRIAR

http://m.smokingpipes.com/information/howto/cleaning.cfm
MEERSCHAUM

http://m.smokingpipes.com/information/howto/meerschaum.cfm

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
One shibboleth: Unless there's liquid in the airway that'll run toward the bit, storing clean dry pipes vertically, upside down or horizontally makes zero difference. None. Nada. Aesthetically, and how most pipe racks are made, puts them bowl down, and perhaps that's how the "information" got to be a "rule" for some.
A damp paper towel used to lightly clean the inside of the bowl removes ash and some tars. Follow with a dry towel.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Ah! That's the reason, then! Thanks!
If it weren't for bad luck, I wouldn't have any luck at all....(Dangerfield??) Besides getting no respect.....

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Occasionally I use one when traveling. At home, I am smoking three to five blends a day, so a leather pouch is impractical. Plus tobacco dries out quicker than when it's in a jar or sturdy bag.

Status
Not open for further replies.