PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

lawmax3

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2013
Hey guys I have a question.

I have an old pipe that I rusticated a few years ago when I first started smoking a pipe.

At that time I stained the rustication with Minwax. I know, wrong stain type to use but at the time I did not realize it mattered. I never smoked the pipe as a result. I kept it around because the rustication came out great.

My question is, would you give it a try and smoke it or just go ahead and toss it?

Let me know what you think.

Thanks Lawmax3

Jan 8, 2013
Not sure if I would smoke it, but if it was your first project pipe, I'd say keep it. I am in the middle of refinishing my first pipe, do you mind if I ask what the right kind of stain is?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If it were me, I'd go read a can of Minwax, and ponder seriously the ingredients. My guess is that this finish

for furniture and floors (I think it is mostly for that) is intended to brush on and dry, and leave in place, at

more or less room temp or lower. I would think heating it regularly, and burning it (on the brim for example)

from time to time, would give off fumes you don't really want to incorporate in your smoking experience,

either directly or as sidestream. It might cook on and become stable, but why run the experiment on yourself

and family and friends. Burning stuff frees it for bioactivity, so I'd be cautious. Likely it would have no effect,

ever, but why guess?

lawmax3

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2013
I am no expert, but alcohol based stain is what I have heard is used. It can be bought at pipe making suppliers.

lawmax3

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2013
nsfisher, I will see if my son has time to take and upload a photo for me later, but no promises. My computer abilities are fairly limited.
fadingdaylight You are most welcome.

augusto

Lurker
Feb 7, 2014
São Paulo - Brazil
Minwax, along with Fiebling's, is what the guy at the rebornpipes blog uses to stain his pipes, so I guess you did not do it wrong. I don't know if I can post the homepage adress here, but google rebornpipes, and once in there, search for minwax. You will see that he uses it a lot. I think I've seen he in the forum, but I'm not sure neither I remember his name.

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
As long as it's not inside the bowl I'd say go ahead and smoke it, or if you can deal with the weird taste til it gets caked over smoke it too. Other than that keep it regardless, it's a memento if nothing else.

leparker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 22, 2014
Weyers Cave, VA
If I remember correctly from my woodworking days, once the chemical evaporate off all you have is the stain so shouldn't be a problem.

lawmax3

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2013
http://imgur.com/a/X2r98
Here is the link to the photos.

Thanks Drew for posting these for me.

lawmax3

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2013
Well fellas, I smoked it.

It was about like the first smoke of any estate pipe refurb.

No unusual odors or taste from the stain.

The pipe also stayed very cool even though there was no cake buildup.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Looks good to me. I doubt the Minwax compound is much different from what Kaywoodie used back in those days.
W7iE3g6.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.