PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Keens is one of the last original steakhouses in New York, and America for that matter. I love coming here for the food, but it’s the pipe history that fascinates me the most. You can google the whole history behind the clay churhwordens, and the topic has come up here and on other pipe references before. But there is something special about seeing 40,000 pipes hanging around you that makes the night great. Altogether, Keen’s Has 90,000 pipes on property. There are 7 dinning rooms total and an upstairs storage of 50,000 pipes. It’s one of the largest de facto pipe museums on earth. Here I post pictures from my walk about through the establishment.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSKLeo6Mb3k
https://ny.eater.com/2011/7/27/6670601/the-history-of-keens-the-126-year-old-house-of-mutton
zJgU987.jpg

8INBsWF.jpg

EJ4CxSK.jpg

HPyIv1o.jpg

NajK0WZ.jpg

FNzd3Vl.jpg

MMjdiWn.jpg

AOp8H2S.jpg

q2SMglY.jpg

xuvBT9A.jpg

vgx0bPl.jpg

TT024ED.jpg

eQPHlo9.jpg

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Looks extremely fascinating as well as delicious! That's... That's... That's a lot of churchwardens... If I ever get up there, maybe I'll pay a visit sometime. Looks like a really great place!

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
I'm bummed that I didn't realize Keen's is in NYC. Missed my chance to go last month. I am VERY jealous.
I read this article abour Keen's a few months ago and found it fascinating. I have a feeling this story was also on an NPR broadcast too.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
I read this article abour Keen's a few months ago and found it fascinating.

Cool article, Craig. Thanks for sharing that.

Is it just me or is your dinner plate upside down?

Nah, I assure you it was right side up. I slurped up every last bit of meat as proof.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Arthur Ashe and The Amazing Kreskin on the same display!
I can't help but think the uniformly dark lots of pipes is a result of the old NYC air that turned white limestone buildings black, and not a result of smoking.
In any event, a fine photo essay!

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
result of the old NYC air that turned white limestone buildings black, and not a result of smoking.

Good eye. They actually spray painted the pipes on ceilings with dark wood to blend in. Upstairs they have two rooms with white ceilings and whit clay pipes. You can see the differences above in the pics.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
The YouTube video was a treat, especially as it was followed by another one featuring an interview with Keen's executive chef, that pretty much contradicted the first one!
Those rows of clays are amazing to see!
Prices were right round what I expected, maybe a little lower.

artificialme

Can't Leave
Mar 15, 2018
That's amazing. To utilize pipe as a restaurant's decoration. Can we take one of those pipe when dine in :rofl:

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
Keens is a classic, well worth the splurge if you're in the area. But compared to most of the high end NYC steakhouses, Keens is a tough reservation to get; plan ahead.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Simeby mentioned Keen's a while back in I think a historical context, & I didn't say anything because I didn't know if it was still there or not.
I don't remember my number, though I'm sure they could look it up, but one of those many thousands on thousands of clays is mine, from back in '74. Gawd, that's a long time gone now! :)

P

pipebuddy

What a fascinating establishment! And that Rib Eye steak looks so good.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Thanks for the post! Fascinating place. On my list if I ever make it back to NYC.

FWIW..... I agree that the dinner plate does look upside down in the picture........ :D

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
I'm bummed that I didn't realize Keen's is in NYC. Missed my chance to go last month. I am VERY jealous.
I read this article abour Keen's a few months ago and found it fascinating. I have a feeling this story was also on an NPR broadcast too.

Yeah I heard that story on Morning Edition or ATC a while back.
We've dinned there a couple of times and it was steak was great but the Lobster Bisque was the best. 8O

recoilrob

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 16, 2011
My Dad had a pipe a Keene's from when he did business there in the 1950's. Unfortunately they lost the records many years ago and while his pipe is still there they cannot find it.
Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.