PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
It is time for the KC Carving Contest. We will have a 7-day set form the Carving Contest up for a winner take all raffle. The tickets are limited to 300 total. The cost is just $25 for one ticket or 5 for $100.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Here is a picture of the winning pipes:
Set%203_zpsvo4hx9pe.jpg

This is the winning set of pipes from 2015. You could win the 2016 version of the these. Seven pipes for one winner!!

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
You can go to GKCPC Pipe Club and sign up there or you can just go to PayPal and Pay for it. On the home page just Select 2016 Show Information and then Select Carvers Raffle Tickets.
The email address is admin@gkcpipeclub.com if you want to just PalPal it and not have to fool around with the website.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Also important to note: The KC contest shape is different every year, as is the design of the custom-made presentation rack (or case).
This year it will be the AUTHOR.
If you aren't familiar with that shape, here are some examples:
https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1858&bih=963&q=author+pipe+shape&oq=pipe+author&gs_l=img.1.1.0i8i30l2.2348.4967.0.8093.11.11.0.0.0.0.66.564.11.11.0....0...1ac.1.64.img..0.11.562...0j0i30j0i5i30.ogaTBMBbhrg
The carvers represented by the winning set is different each year, of course, but the LEVEL of design and execution is consistently extremely high. These are pipes that would sell individually for quite a lot of money. They are NOT a carver's "toss offs" or charity contributions. These guys are in it to win it. The set plus its custom rack/case is easily worth 200 times the $25 raffle ticket price.
Also, know that the KC Pipe Club doesn't make a cent from the contest. 100% of the money collected via raffle ticket sales (minus the cost of the rack or case) is divided equally among the carvers of the seven winning pipes. The event was conceived as, and remains, strictly a way to highlight and promote the excellence of American pipe makers.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
...do you need to be present to win?
No.
The winning ticket is publicly drawn and the winner's name announced during the show, from the main show floor. Where the ticket holder lives, or if they're present, doesn't matter at all.
(If memory serves, about half of the previous year's winners were present, the other half were not.)

scotties22

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2012
Kansas City, MO
Pipemakers, time is running out to submit your pipe!!! If you are mailing they must be received by Thursday, June 23rd! If you will be attending the show you can turn them in at the registration table on Friday evening. Judging begins shortly after registration closes that evening so if you are arriving late on Friday please keep that in mind.
If you have not purchased your Carvers Raffle tickets yet, there is still time! Don't miss out on your chance to win a Seven Day Set of Authors from North America's best pipemakers! This year the set will be accompanied by a custom made case by Scott Tinker. I have seen a few pictures of the outside of the case and it is going to be breathtaking! Go to GKC Pipe Club to purchase your raffle tickets.
See you at the show!!

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
My pipe is being sent out tomorrow! Thanks for keeping us all up to date! I'll have to get a ticket or two!

scotties22

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2012
Kansas City, MO
My pipe is being sent out tomorrow! Thanks for keeping us all up to date! I'll have to get a ticket or two!
You can also post pictures of your finished pipe. If you would direct your customers where to purchase raffle tickets it would be greatly appreciated.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Only a few days left to buy raffle tickets. Re-read this thread to see the chance you'll be missing out on if you don't don't grab a few.
Bottom line --- You might win a drop-dead gorgeous set of pipes w/custom case worth THOUSANDS of dollars. And even if you don't win, you will be supporting North American pipe makers. There was a time that phrase only drew a smile in Scandinavia... Today, not so much. 8)
Onward and upward! :D

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
Isn't it a rule that your chances of winning increase 100 fold if your name is Bobby?
Hasn't a guy named Bobby won it often? And wasn't one of the Bobbies a repeat winner?

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
The first five years the set was won by Bob Oswald, Bobby Owens, Bobby Owens (two in a row for him), Bobbe Beyer (yes that's how you spell it) and Bobby Fabian. Last year it was won by Chance Whittamore and this year by Devyani Sehti. Only Devanyi was not present to accept her prize. We did ship it to her.

Status
Not open for further replies.