PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cbates55

Might Stick Around
Jan 27, 2017
s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600-1.jpg

Hey do you guys think this pipe is worth $32.50, I'm thinking about wanting to get it?

cbates55

Might Stick Around
Jan 27, 2017
Here is what the seller had to say about the pipe I bought...
This a KB&B Yello-Bole Premier carved bulldog from the World War II period. It dates to the late 1930s to the late 1940s before S.M. Frank acquired the Kaywoodie and Yello-Bole lines from Kaufman Brothers & Bondy.
I do not believe it was made during the war years (1941-19450) because it has metal parts in it including the drinkless mechanism used during this period.
This type of carving was used by KB&B on its Yello-Bole and Kaywoodie pipes to stretch the available briar around the war years. In the Kaywoodie line it was often stamped "Hand Made".
This pipe is in good shape and was a fairly easy restoration.
It is simply a good pipe, the briar is well cured, and the pipe restored well.
The air channel through the shank has been hand rebored to 5/32 of an inch.
Its briar has been treated with a hand-rubbed coat of caranuba wax.
I don't smoke dirty pipes, therefore I don't sell dirty pipes. I use nothing but non-toxic biodegradable products in refurbishing pipes. This one had been thoroughly cleaned and sanitized and is ready to smoke.
This pipe is 4-3/4 inches long. The inside diameter of the tobacco chamber is 11/16 of an inch. The height of the bowl is 1-1/4 inches.
Looks like it will be a good smoking pipe and a good looking one at that...

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Sure looks worth the price. It's a fine old American factory pipe that looks like it has about another century or more left in it. Yello Bole actually still makes briar pipes, but you have to hunt to find the new ones, and they sell pretty fast. I'm not sure any of them are as well made and finished as this one.

markus

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
This was one of the pipes for sale by Dave Whitney, he wrote a good book on pipe restoration called Old Briar, it's an interesting read if you have the time.

Dave is a stand up guy who fixes up and sells good, inexpensive pipes. I have bought a few pipes off of him and they are all good smokers.

I'm sure you'll be happy with this pipe, good luck and enjoy!

cbates55

Might Stick Around
Jan 27, 2017
This was one of the pipes for sale by Dave Whitney, he wrote a good book on pipe restoration called Old Briar, it's an interesting read if you have the time.

Dave is a stand up guy who fixes up and sells good, inexpensive pipes. I have bought a few pipes off of him and they are all good smokers.

I'm sure you'll be happy with this pipe, good luck and enjoy!
Briar%20Yello-Bole%20Bulldog%201-s.jpg

Me%201.JPG

Enjoying the first bowel out of this old pipe...

cbates55

Might Stick Around
Jan 27, 2017
Well now ain't that silly the above is suppose to say, "Enjoying the first bowl out of this old pipe..."

Mar 30, 2014
wv
Dave Whitney is a great guy and frikkin hilarious too. He was on Mo Rocca's food channel show and I couldn't stop laughing. I think Mo got a lil red in the face.
Congrats on the pipe.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Dave Whitney is a great guy and frikkin hilarious too. He was on Mo Rocca's food channel show and I couldn't stop laughing. I think Mo got a lil red in the face.
I agree ! I've had the pleasure to meet Dave on two occasions. I could sit and just listen to the man talk for hours.
Nice score on the YB ! They made some great pipes in that era.

cbates55

Might Stick Around
Jan 27, 2017
@dave g and @ejames I have to agree that Dave is a good guy and great to deal with. He did a great job of bringing this old pipe back to life... Well worth the $30 I spent on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.