PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 1, 2012
I have a Kaywoodie Redroot that I bought over a year ago and I just haven't figured it out yet. Maybe one of you with more experience can help. First off, it has a really tight draw. Somewhat similar to when when I get a tobacco flake stuck in the stem of my cob pipe. It also seems to convey less of the tobacco's flavor than my other pipes.
Is this normal for a Kaywoodie with a stinger or is there some way to open up the draw? Unless I either get used to it or find a way to fix it, this pipe may have to find another home.
Thanks,

Sou

galeon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 12, 2012
You can always pull the stinger off. That's what I always do.

Aug 1, 2012
Thanks for the reply. I would like to get rid of it but I'm not sure how. It looks like it is part of the treads on the tenon.
Sou

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
You can cut it below the threads and it will open up the airway big time. That is, if it's the same kind I have. Mine's a 1948-1955 model so I left the stinger and just adjusted my smoking. I didn't want to mutilate a pipe that was over 50 years old. Next to my Petersin, it's probably my most reliable pipe!

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
Don;t cut the stinger mate! Put a pair of pliers on the stinger near the tenon, gently twist the stinger while pulling away. 95% of the time that is all it takes. Be gentle but firm. Your stem is actually plugged at the end of the stinger in the tenon. Gaurenteed.

Aug 1, 2012
Well, I must be stronger than I thought. I got a pair of pliers and some shelf liner (to keep them from slipping) and gave it a gentle twist and pull. To my amazement it sheared off right at the end of the tenon just past the threads. I put very little pressure on it so there must have been a fault in the metal. It did the trick of opening the draw up a bit so I filed it down and cleaned it up. We'll see how it goes from here.
Thanks for the help,

Sou

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
Good job mate, now you got to use some alochol and pipe cleaners in that stem. That has never been cleaned there before because the stinger was holding all the build up. Do that, and you will have a much better smoking pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.