Kaywoodie Supergrain Churchwarden (Shape 95)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
What do guys with long pipes and big feet have? .......Long socks.
I've been searching for a Kaywoodie Church warden for several months. Thru emails with member Gary, a Kaywoodie enthusiast, I learned they are somewhat rare. Well, that fits as my other pipe shape favorites (Authors/Rhodesians) are also fiercely contested on Ebay, etc.
On Friday, I had given up hope of finding a Kaywoodie and just did a general "Churchwarden" search on Ebay. I thought that I'd settle for a newer Savinelli or Peterson. Buried in the 10 pages of hits (and mostly junk) was this Kaywoodie Supergrain! I have an Ebay search set for Kaywoodie Supergrains and I check those results several times per day. I have no idea how or why this pipe never showed up. The auction ended early this afternoon and it was sold by a non-pipe vendor. That must have kept it under the radar. There were a few last second bids, but I prevailed. I should have it by Friday or Saturday. It needs a little restoration but looks in pretty decent condition. I don't know if the stinger is intact. SmokingPipes sold a similar pipe and has it dated as a 1949-1972 pipe.

http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/estate/united-states/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=149435
I'll clean it up and do a restoration article on the pipe. Thanks Gary for your input!
When this long pipe is done, I'll be able to say this at my pipe club meetings:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PmnKOkt7fI

i8ball

Might Stick Around
Jan 5, 2014
churchwarden's are my favorite pipe and that one is just beautiful.

buckaroo

Lifer
Sep 30, 2014
So. Cal.
I was watching that SG and that was a great buy as I have only seen maybe one or two come with both the original box and sock and to get it at that price is unheard of, but the big plus for me (the reason I was following it) was that the stem did not look very oxidized. I would hate to be the one cleaning up a heavily oxidized old churchwarden stem.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
@buckaroo - I did wonder how long it will take to clean that stem! Hopefully the button end is OK, the pictures aren't great. I asked the seller if the stinger was intact, but he never replied. Guess I'll find out shortly.

xrundog

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
It's a Super Grain over Kaywoodie stamp. They flipped that in...the fifties? The brochure features an oversize pipe that first appeared in the late 40s catalog. I think it's a c.1950 pipe with what I can see.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
That makes sense xrndog. Hopefully the stinger tells the rest of the tale. Now I pray that the seller packaged this one up properly.

xrundog

Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
It looks really nice. I think a little soap and water and some wax and the bowl will be ready to go. I don't think it was smoked a lot. Most of the Kaywoodie CWs I see on ebay appear to be lightly used. It isn't really something a person would smoke all the time.

Like you, I am always a bit nervous when the bit end isn't shown. Hopefully the guy just isn't very camera savvy and he didn't quite get it the pic because it's so long.

May 31, 2012
A stunner, congrats Al.

:puffy:
Enjoy it well!
Glad you found one!
I had my eye on this one, but couldn't cough up the cash...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/pre-1925-Kaywoodie-Boxed-Dublin-Churchwarden-pipe-exquisite-set-lots-of-extras-/191365732980?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=Xjz%252BqNiMdrEYNr1KGoC0CFpJfhA%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
@MLC: Yep, that one was a stunner and a truly Holy Grail of KW's.

To be honest, I've never owned a Churchwarden or smoked one, so I didn't want to go in that deep.

This will look great in my display case!
@Xrundog:

Here's some extra pix, I'll have to work on that bowl top and the other shows a bit more of the button end (but not a closeup).

This seller had a 33 rating - so I was scared to death it would be sent in an envelope and broken. The postage was only $2 (so much for higher shipping charges on Ebay...). I did have some good communication with him this AM. He lost money on the "calculated" shipping but did put it in a bigger box. I'm going to send him some extra cash to cover the shipping and feel relieved that it is not in an bag.. He said he had 60 more pipes to sell, so I gave him some Ebay seller/pipe advice and told him about this forum.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Too pretty not to show this beauty!
$_57.JPG

gregprince

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 29, 2014
Great catch there. If we assume a 1851 start date for Kaywoodie and the flyer claiming 97 years experience in pipe making was originally with the pipe, then the pipe would have been made around 1948. Enjoy.

xrundog

Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
Looks really nice. You should be smoking that in no time. I'd like a 5195. I think the last one I saw went for $100+. I'm not sure I want a church warden that bad.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Well the pipe arrived today and it is a real winner. Not only is the stinger intact, but it is a 4 hole stinger with a small ball.
I know this about the dating:
Supergrain on top of Kaywoodie - used before 1955

4 Hole stinger, no Reg. Number - used before WWII

Small Ball - I'm not sure about this year.

Imported Briar - used after 1936 but dropped at the advent of WWII

Shape Number - there is none

Brochure - looks to be 1947 or later because of the Oversized pipes. I don't know if the book was original to the pipe. Now, based on the stinger, I suspect not.
Bill F lists this in a Kaywoodie forum Shape thread:

95 Extra Long Dublin Churchwarden 1932-1937, 1947-1972
Based on the above, I suspect it was made from 1936 to 1941.
I'll do a full write up and more pictures later.

xrundog

Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
Well, it was definitely smoked. But it cleaned up nice. I concur with your date. For me the late 20s to the mid 50s is the real sweet spot. One can find some really great pipes.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I rec'd some feedback thru the Kaywoodie forum. The 4-hole stinger with small ball was used into the early 50's and is post WWII. So, the '48 dating sounds about right.
Interestingly, I discovered the pipe belonged to the sellers Great Uncle, who lived in PA and died in '71. His widow died in '96 and his pipes were found in a dresser drawer. They were all well-loved.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Here's my Reborn Pipes blog write-up and some finished pictures.
I'm saving this one to smoke on Christmas eve, which seems fitting.
http://rebornpipes.com/2014/10/30/kaywoodie-supergrain-churchwarden-shape-95/
kaywoodie_supergrain_95_gallery.jpg

kaywoodie_supergrain_95_before-1.jpg

kaywoodie_supergrain_95_finished-3.jpg

kaywoodie_supergrain_95_finished-10.jpg

kaywoodie_supergrain_95_finished-2.jpg

kaywoodie_supergrain_95_finished-5.jpg

kaywoodie_supergrain_95_finished-6.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.