PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Moving right along, getting to work on this Suntan.
The stummel was straight forward. Topped since there were dings in it, washed and scrubbed in hot water and Murphy's oil soap. A light sanding and buffing and re-stained and waxed.
The button had been cut off, and grooves filed about 3/8's inch ahead of the end, and the flare filed back inward. I imagine

someone did this to ease getting a softy bit on and off. It looked horrid.
I cut the stem just ahead of the groove, and had a look at it. I was thinking maybe just shape a new button and be done with it, but now it just seemed too short. I don't know how much was originally removed, but this wasn't working for me.
I found an appropriate old stem and compared it with the one on the pipe. I decided after a while I wanted to go a bit more that original length, and cut the donor stem accordingly.
I had some stainless steel tube stock, so I cut a piece, and then opened up the stem pieces so I could fit it into the draft channel. A little CA glue, and pressed it together to set. I added some more glue around the splice so it could wick in to the cut and fill any small voids. I'll let it set for several days to it can cure, the get started on shaping.
IMAG3382_1_1.jpg

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
Yes, beautiful. Please keep us posted on how the stem holds up. I like the way you spliced it. I have some surgical steel tubing for repair projects, this may just fit right in.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Final step - smoke it.
I'm about halfway through a bowl of Russ Cavendish in the Woods. I put some Keystones in the bottom of the bowl before I packed and lit it up. I did the same yesterday when I smoked the 7455 bent Kay, which I removed the ball from. This one still has the ball, so I reckoned I would have more moisture to deal with.
I'm getting copious amounts of tasty, cool dry smoke from this thing... a little gurgle, more of a buzzing sensation..., not the gurgle like a bong hit. :)
I just set the pipe down for several minutes with stem tipped up at an angle to let whatever minute about of moisture is there to drain down into bowl and be absorbed by the Keystones. I was a little zealous when I got started so that may have aggravated it.
Overall, it's smoking great. Worth the $ 11.00 and time invested.
IMAG3415_1_1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.