PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I just smoked my Kaywoodie today. I had to spend some time cleaning it and letting it rest before smoking, which I was able to do successfully thanks to reading this forum and the tutorial vids (THANKS!). It had an excellent smoke, but the stinger makes cleaning a bit of a pain and you can't run a cleaner down into the bowl if you get a gurgle.
I think it was unclearthur who said he removes his stingers. What would be the best way to do that? I'm thinking a cutoff on my dremel would work, but I don't want to screw up an awesome pipe.

bytor

Can't Leave
Jan 21, 2010
Washington
Take a look at this thread:

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/kaywoodie-drinkless-pipes
I posted sorta decent picture of a couple Kaywoodie stems that I removed the stinger using a dremel. No real difficulty in removing the stinger...just be sure you don't remove the threads.

bytor

Can't Leave
Jan 21, 2010
Washington
If it is a Kaywoodie with a thread-in stem, don't try to pull it out.
The threads are the only way to attach the stem to the shank. Pulling out the stinger would be equivalent to cutting the tenon off a push-in stem.

portascat

Lifer
Jan 24, 2011
Happy Hunting Grounds
I have two "stinger pipes". A Kaywoodie and a Sir Hubert. And I have a couple Grabow and a cob. These are my regular smokers (I don't have a huge or high end collection, as you see).
I actually rehabbed the Kaywoodie into a decent smoker, fixing the stinger position and the carburetor.
In any case, the stinger pipes do smoke a bit different, and cleaning them is a bit more labor intensive, but not hugely so. The biggest difference, to me, is making sure you use the very thin diameter cleaners and pushing slowly with the cleaner so that it can "make the bend" in the stinger. Once a bit pokes out, you can pull it through.
It is possible that the thin tube on the stinger makes cleaning a bit easier, as it comes out very clean after two pulls, like someone noted.
To me, and just me, I wouldn't circumcise the thing. It smokes a little different, but it is just part of the personality of the pipe. Maybe it will suit a particular blend, or a smoking style, that other pipes won't, or won't as well.

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
Kaywoodie stingers are permanently fixed into the stem. To remove the stinger part, it must be cut off while leaving the threaded part of the metal so that it will still screw into the shank.
It will drop the value of the pipe by doing so. The older Kaywoodie pipes are much more collectable than the newer ones. If it is a very old pipe, you may not want to do it.

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
I'll side with keeping it as well, mainly for the collectibility and aesthetic integrity of the pipe, but also for the exercise of learning how to adjust your smoking. I have a few stinger pipes, Kaywoodies amongst them, and although they're far from my favorites, I find that in those times that the mood to smoke one *extra* slowly, with a very dry blend or just for the challenge of keeping a bowl dry, that it's well worth the effort. Unfortunately I have yet to meet a stinger that does what it was intended to do.

jwp159

Can't Leave
Jan 1, 2010
I to remove stingers when a pipe goes into my collection. If I get the pipe for resale, which I have to do some to finance my PAD and TAD. I leave them on because it does affect the value on the collector market but I can't stand them for my personal use.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Stingers? We doh-need no stinking stingers...
photoshopped-animals14.jpg

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Thanks everyone. I got it off Fleabay for $15 and I don't plan to sell it. Still, for now I think I'll snag some smaller diameter cleaners and keep it as is. It really smoked well. I don't plan to sell it, so if it becomes cumbersome, I'll go Uncle Arthur's way.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I got some narrower pipe cleaners and they seem to thread through the stinger pretty well. No need to remove it, as far as I can see. It's now my carryin' around pipe, since it has a small profile and a shallow bowl, I can smoke it on the go. I don't have an hour to kill on breaks at work, so I can pack the kaywoodie to about half and have a nice smoke on my last break. I keep it with a tamper (a nail with a large head), a lighter, a couple o cleaners and some Captain Black in the pouch when I'm out and about.

collindow

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 15, 2010
Portland, OR
I wish I had noticed this thread before, I would have lobbied hard to keep the stinger. Of course, you're keeping it now, which pleases me. I feel it to be a crime to chop up a fine Kaywoodie, akin, in my mind, to castrating your son because you wanted a girl.

I'm glad you like the Kaywoodie. They're awesome pipes, and I pretty much smoke only them.

jasongone

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 23, 2011
i personally hate stingers and they get promptly removed. but then again an estate pipe in my possession isn't even guaranteed to keep it's skin.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I agree with you Collin. I felt that it had such a great smoke that screwing with the design was a bad idea. In the end I adapted and decided to work with it and not against it. Usually the best decision and another lesson learned on my journey. This thing lasted 55 years only to have me hacking away at it? Not this time around.

Status
Not open for further replies.