PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gambit88

Can't Leave
Jan 25, 2015
This is a early 40s Kaywoodie Silhouette 4 hole stinger pipe. It was real rough when I got it. Its the upper pipe in the picture. The stem looked like it fell in a blender. It had real deep scratches. I was able to sand them out for the most part. Some are still faint but I was to the point of possibly loosing the logo if I kept sanding. I sanded the bowl with some 2000 grit sandpaper and then gave it a light re-stain before taking it to the buffer.

gambit88

Can't Leave
Jan 25, 2015
Thanks! Here's the other one that was in the picture. A real early flame grain. Also 4 hole stinger.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Beautiful jobs on both. American "factory" pipes were and are work horses and it shows when they are restored. The real briar pipes are still quality items and are available in push bit versions, as in the Yello-Bole Checker and Kaywoodie Saxon. Some of the new Drinkless don't line up when the stem is screwed into the shank, but this can be corrected with a hair dry for heating and a little luck, I've heard. The materials are sound.

fluffie666

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2014
That's some great work. Looks like you'll get another lifetime out of them. Nice job!

gambit88

Can't Leave
Jan 25, 2015
Thanks! I ended up letting the Silhouette go as its not my style but I may hold on to the flame grain. I have a soft spot for bullys.

dulgunz

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2015
Very nice work! I am in the middle of my Kaywoodie resurrection and kind of hesitant to show the end results with all the great re-store's I have been seeing.

fluffie666

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2014
That bull dog is nice. You found an early one too. Very nice. I just started my first Kaywoodie resto on my Standard. I'm not keen on all the information out there on dating these things yet so I ask a lot of questions. Even under the years of dust, cake and general neglect of the thing I could see the great pipe underneath all that. There's just something about a Kaywoodie man. I really like them. Mso489 is right. They're workhorses.

Status
Not open for further replies.