PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

xrundog

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
I did a trade with a friend for this pipe. He thought I was better suited to tackle making it smokeable. It was filthy and grimy. The stem was oxidized dark orange and a chunk of the bit was missing. It ain't perfect, but I think it looks pretty good and smokes fine. It's a 7636 pipe. It's the only bent panel I've ever seen.
KaywoodieRockAmbera763613_zpsc892fd22.jpg

KaywoodieRockAmbera763612_zps6adb45e8.jpg

KaywoodieRockAmbera76361_zps4b03e287.jpg

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
That is a rare beauty. Shape 36 was a Dublin by 1936, so you seem to have an old and very scarce pipe. I hope her smoking qualities match her great looks.
Is the draft hole properly placed? High draft holes are always a problem on bent pipes, but Kaywoodie seems to have often not bothered to try.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
That is a rare beauty. Shape 36 was a Dublin by 1936, so you seem to have an old and very scarce pipe. I hope her smoking qualities match her great looks.
Is the draft hole properly placed? High draft holes are always a problem on bent pipes, but Kaywoodie seems to have often not bothered to try.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Beautiful! I don't often see many bent Rock Ambera shapes. That briar just looks incredible. I can't make out the stem damage, it must be slight.

xrundog

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA

It's fine on this pipe. Right where it should be.
I can't make out the stem damage, it must be slight.

Thanks Al, I guess I did a good repair job.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
xrundog, I have loved several bent Kaywoodies with poorly placed draft holes. They have been well worth the pipe mud needed to correct them. I am glad to hear yours needed no correction.

Status
Not open for further replies.