PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
I always wondered what the heck the Kaywoodie stinger was all about. Not a fan. Seemed to me like just another gimmick. And choked the draw.
And as a batch of OTC threads were going around here I, like several, have ordered up a few samples to try. Never been a big OTC fan. Can't get past that chemical taste. Most recently I tried some Walnut based on some recommendations I read here. Was very impressed with the tin note- totally unlike any other OTC. But let down by the chemical taste.
Today, for whatever reason, I picked up an old estate Kaywoodie that I acquired a couple years ago for a song. I bought it because I liked the shape and finish. Rarely smoked because I don't like the stinger or the inhibited draw. For whatever reason, I thought to smoke some Walnut through this pipe. Wow. Big difference. This tobacco and this pipe seem made for each other. The stinger really seems to dampen the chemical tinge. Walnut in this pipe smokes like a proper light English. In a Kaywoodie, this could be part of my regular rotation or even an everyday smoke.
I woukd highly recommend this combo for smokers on a budget.
I'm going to experiment with running some other OTCs through it- those that I previously found mediocre. I think I may be on to something here.
Anyone else smoke this type of combo?

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
I like H&H in the Kaywoodie, too. Been wanting to try Walnut for ages but can't find it. Last two times I placed an order it was out of stock and my locals can't get it. Maybe next month .… :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.