PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 1, 2012
...And my 3rd mystery for today is a Kaywoodie. This came from my pile of old estates that need a resto. This one is a push-tenon Kaywoodie without a clover or an "aged bruyere" stamp but a 4-digit+letter model. The "imported briar", push tenon and 4-digit shape all contradict each-other for dating so I thought I'd send it up to the PM jury for a verdict. So, what time frame does this pipe come from?
(Sorry for the dark/crappy pics)
dscn3285-600x450.jpg

dscn3286-600x450.jpg

dscn3287-600x450.jpg

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I don't know how the push tenon figures into the dating, but the 4 numbering ran from 1931 to 1938,

and the "Imported Briar" stamping began in 1935.

trailspike48

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 15, 2013
From pipepages.com
If the pipe has a 4-digit shape number, the pipe is probably of "pre-1936" vintage. If the pipe has a 4-digit shape number and does not have the threaded fitment, it is probably from before 1925.
The logo on top is also from the older series pipes.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
If I recollect correctly, the "Imported Briar" stamp began to be used in 1936 according to the article I read by Dennis Moore. The 4 digit numbers were phased out in 1938 with the introduction of the Flame Grain. The first two numbers referred to the type of stain used. Push tenons were always in production. So the fact that the pipe has a push tenon, rather than a Synchro-stem, doesn't matter. Prior to 1932, a KBB inside a shamrock was stamped on the shank. This stamp was discontinued when Kaywoodie moved out of the KBB factory and into its new factory in West New York. Your pipe dates from the period between 1932-3 and 1938.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
A very interesting piece, dating them is always a little tricky, but sablebrush seems to have nailed it.

I'd post it over on the Kaywoodie forum, Bill Feurbach might comment on it and if so, always has something insightful to add.

lifeon2

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 19, 2012
denver co
Well it looks like that pipe really is a mystery. According to the list Bill put together.

87 Screw-in Drinkless Kaywoodie, dark finish, black vulcanite stem (1930's)

irish

Lifer
Aug 12, 2011
Texas
Everything I found showed screw in Drinkless but I do have a Kaywoodie that I could not get a screw in stem for so I very carefully removed the drinkess system. It is tricky not to crack shank but can be done. That may be what some one has done here, could not get a screw in stem but had a push type. Just a thought. IT is a mystery to me!!

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
In the late 20's to mid 30's - Four digit, push-tenon versions were available. By the mid 30's all Kaywoodies came with the screw-mounted "Drinkless" attachment.
The 8710B marking - the 10B refers to the shape, not sure about the 87 unless that the series number.

Aug 1, 2012
Thanks for the replies so far. Might just have to take it to the Kaywoodie forum or contact Bill directly.
I took it back out and looked. The shank/mortise show no evidence of ever having a screw-in fitment and the stem logo looks original. It does have one thing that might give a clue as to whether the stem is original. That is that the tenon has a step in it. I do not know if Kaywoodie was putting a step in their tenons in the 30s so that might help with the dating/originality.

Status
Not open for further replies.