Kaywoodie Lot Restoration Pipe #4 (pics)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

12 Fresh Mark Tinsky Pipes
36 Fresh Tsuge Pipes
2 Fresh Former Pipes
2 Fresh Chris Asteriou Pipes
12 Fresh Moonshine Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipingruotsi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 6, 2013
This is a Connoisseur pot (shape code 69). This one gave me a lot of trouble. I wanted to be able to stain it a nice blond color because it has very beautiful grain. Unfortunately, everything I tried would not remove that horrid spot. I was finally forced to admit defeat because I was losing the nomenclature from several failed light colored stain attempts. A huge thanks to Steve at reborn pipes for all his advice and thought on how to remove the stains.
2013-08-28-153258-600x337.jpg

2013-08-28-153307-600x337.jpg

2013-11-11-124918-600x337.jpg

2013-11-11-124854-600x337.jpg

smokeytay33

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 29, 2013
I just got a Kaywoodie that needs restoring. It would be my first project. I think I'll practice on other pipes first. That looks marvelous! What talent! I can only hope mine will look half as good. :puffy:

pipingruotsi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 6, 2013
Thanks for the comments guys!
I hadn't realized just how much that spot had improved until I posted the pics. So even though I didn't get the light color I had originally envisioned for it, I'm still really happy with the way it turned out.
smokeytay, I saw your post about your first Kaywoodie. I have one very similar to yours. Good luck restoring it. Just go slow and don't be too heavy handed with sanding or polishing and everything should be fine. Do some reading on Steve's rebornpipes blog, too. That's really helped me a lot.
irish, it may be for sale. I have another one with the same shape code that's older, but has a twin bore stem, that I'm going to restore. If that one turns out well, I'd probably be willing to sell one. I'll PM you when it's finished to see if you're interested. It might be a month or so though.

Status
Not open for further replies.