Kaywoodie Lot Restoration Pipe #3 (pics)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

108 Fresh Brulor Pipes
36 Fresh Nørding Pipes
4 Fresh Scott Thile Pipes
2 Fresh Former Pipes
48 Fresh Savinelli Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipingruotsi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 6, 2013
Here's the third pipe from my Kaywoodie lot. A nice, straight Custom Grain bulldog that's a great smoker, shape 98B.
I topped the bowl to remove the burned wood and stained it a darker color to hide a couple small blotches. I also refilled a pink fill with superglue to blend with the new stain.
2013-08-28-152940-600x337.jpg

2013-08-28-152922-600x337.jpg

2013-10-20-150821-600x337.jpg

2013-10-20-150852-600x337.jpg

2013-10-20-150938-600x337.jpg

pipingruotsi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 6, 2013
Thanks everyone! I rather like the way the stain turned out as well! Especially getting to see them side by side now.
rayje589, I hope yours cleans up well, too. I really like the way this one smokes...consistently to the bottom with little or no dottle. The previous owner had built up a nice hard, even cake all the way into the heel. I'm sure that helps a bit.
chaplainmike, welcome to the forum!

kgill

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 11, 2013
You mentioned using superglue to fill chips and gouges and I like the idea of losing the pink fills from the factory that show, and using the superglue to better blend the repair. Can someone point me to information on the technique? Does it readily accept any stain for blending? I have also read of it being used on stems, how do you use it without showing up as a clear blob?

kgill

pipingruotsi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 6, 2013
kgill, It doesn't accept stain, but in this case, I knew it would blend with the black under-stain. What you do is fill the hole with briar dust (I save my dust from topping the bowl) and add a small amount of superglue to saturate the dust and leave a small bump. I let it cure, then take 3 or 4 inch small strips of high grit sandpaper (400/600) and putting the paper between my finger and the fill, lightly pull the sandpaper through until flush and finish up with micromesh pads. Light pressure is key, though, otherwise you can take too much off and end up with a divot.

Superglue dries clear and polishes really well. On stems, I just fill the dent with superglue and use the same technique. The only problem doing it this way is if your teeth go in the same spot, you might get a small white mark where a new tooth mark is made in the superglue. I haven't tried it yet, but if you mix vulcanite dust in the fill, this might not be a problem.
I first learned this repairing guitars. stewmac.com might have a video tutorial.

pipingruotsi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 6, 2013
I might add, that for dents in wood steam can lift them. Use a damp rag over the wood and apply heat to create steam. I use a soldering iron or laminating iron.

For stems sometimes dents can be lifted with just heat with a heat gun. You have to be careful with stems, however, b/c they can melt or lose their shape/bend.

timely

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 23, 2012
Fantastic job !!!

Love the pipe, I also think it looks better with the new color.

vlodko

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 25, 2013
Ukraine
Perfect! Both the pipe itself and your job!
I beg pardon for the question regarding Kaywoodie - some of mine have wrong stem orientation (the mouth piece looks to be turned at least at 15-20 degrees against the normal horizontal position). Does anybody know who can it be adjusted?

pipingruotsi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 6, 2013
vlodko, apply heat to the stinger to loosen the connection in the stem. Then I screw it in to the correct alignment and let it cool and reset in place. This works if it's under-rotated. If it's the other way, twist it with a pliers and let cool, then check alignment. A heat gun or really hot water (not boiling, around 190* F) works. Water is probably safer than a heat gun.

Status
Not open for further replies.