Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

wallbright

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 22, 2010
I have been hearing alot of these three brands and was wondering if they are all in the same price range (cheap) and if they are good smokes. I thought that Kaywoodies were budget pipes until I recently saw one for $90 at smokingpipes.com. I know that $90 may be a budget pipe to some pipe smokers but to me a budget pipe is a drug store pipe or similar. I.e. Dr. Grabow's $25 line and such. I also see them go unsold for $10 on ebay and wonder if they are just crud pipes. Just wondering if you fellas could enlighten me on these brands.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Dr. Graybow pipes are pretty much machine made, but a decent pipe. They are definitely good beginner pipes. And, they are outstanding as a work pipe. e.g. out with lawn mower, or on the water fishing. (just remember: fishing ain't got nothin' to do with catchin')
Does anyone remember where the video with the machines at the Graybow factory is?
Kaywoodies I have no experience with, but it is my understanding they are fairly decent as well. The reason the prices may seem higher for them may be the collector factor.

Some are sought after with some enthusiasm.

bubbadreier

Lifer
Jul 30, 2010
Norman, Oklahoma
I have both Dr. Grabows and a Kaywoodie. I think they are okay pipes and they are decent smokes, but yes they are cheaper made pipes...
I wouldn't bid on them on ebay simply for that fact that you never know what you are going to get when you bid on those pipes. I would rather just spend the extra $10 and get a new one.

wallbright

Aug 22, 2010
Thanks for the info Lawrence I really appreciate it. I don't know if you could help or not but you seem very knowledgeable in pipes. I was also wondering if you have heard of Nob Hill. I did some research and all I can find is they are good smokers. Furthermore, no one knows who made them except for they are more than likely seconds. Any info would be greatly appreciated. I just acquired one from an Ebay purchase and have been trying to figure this out.

wallbright

Aug 22, 2010
Thanks bubbadreier I appreciate the research. And hopefully the grabow and kaywoodies that I purchased in that lot will be in good condition. Though, I'm not holding my breath.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I think Kevin discussed them once upon a time.

I believe they are seconds, as well.

Maybe Python, or Kevin, maybe Chuckw or Unclearthur will know.
But, there is a lot of good things to say about seconds.

You can get a great pipe, with very insignificant defects in them.

Only defects that someone with a good knowledge of pipes could detect like Sand pits, or a little putty.
I just bought a second last Saturday:

Maggiore: A Stefano 2nd.

About a $300 pipe (give or take) for 1/3 the price.
DSCF4018.jpg

duncan

Jul 28, 2010
New Jersey
Garbow are good pipes for the money. My grandfather has been smoking them for 20+ years and that is all he will buy.

bubbadreier

Lifer
Jul 30, 2010
Norman, Oklahoma
Good point Duncan, there are a ton of die hard kaywoodie/grabow/medico smokers out there... I know one guy at my local B&M that will laugh at us every time we say we want a new pipe, and then he will go into his huge lecture on why his grabows are better than any pipe we could buy because he only has to spend $20 when we want to spend $100s...

duncan

Jul 28, 2010
New Jersey
That was his point Bubba. He is very hard on his pipes banging them on his heel, ashtray, wall, what ever is available. His last around a year then he gets a new one. I told him about the 5000 dollar dunhill I saw and he laughed his arse off.

kcvet67

Jul 6, 2010
All three brands have produced a wide variety of styles over the years. Most have been inexpensive machine-made pipes, but others have been hand-made pipes that are comparable to the high-end brands. There are a lot of collectors of these pipes and some of the scarcer ones can bring high prices. What you see going unsold on ebay are the run-of-the-mill series that were made in large quantities and are of mediocre quality.
Tim West usually has a variety of these and other vintage "drug store" pipes on ebay. Many are unsmoked vintage stock, the used ones have all been restored by Tim, who is one of the best pipe repairman in the business. You can check out his current listings here:
http://shop.ebay.com/twestpipe/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=25

dudleydipstick

Can't Leave
Dec 13, 2009
Wallbright wrote:

I thought that Kaywoodies were budget pipes until I recently saw one for $90 at smokingpipes.com. I know that $90 may be a budget pipe to some pipe smokers but to me a budget pipe is a drug store pipe or similar. I.e. Dr. Grabow's $25 line and such.
Most Kaywoodies are budget pipes and can be found right along with the Grabows. At one smoke shop in my area, nearly all the basket pipes are Kaywoodies ranging from $15 to $25. They all have a useless metal "stinger". I've hated both of the ones I've owned, but some people like them.
On the other hand, Kaywoodie also sells a small number of stingerless high grade pipes. Like some other brands (Tinksy, Dunhill), they also have a pipe of the year. I've heard nothing but good things and they are indeed some nice looking pipes.
Kaywoodie Pipe of the Year Link

krgulick

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Had a Grabow for about 10 years before it went out on me after much abuse on my part. May have spent $20 or so for it. Just wonder how long it would have lasted if it was taken care of.

strongirish

Can't Leave
Aug 20, 2010
Lake Conroe, TX
I buy many pipes and restore them for resale. These three brands have varied histories that give them their value. Dr Grabows can be great smokers and great knock around pipes. The older models can be collectibles, they usually have stingers and screw in tenons. I sometimes get really good prices for these. Medicos are drug store pipes but way back they made some collectibles, even some with gold filled bands. They can smoke good but an equal amount are just so-so. Kaywoodies covered the spectrum from cheap drug sotre quality, usually these are varnished, all the way to freehands that are in the hundreds. The older Woodies are quite collectible and smoke great. The way to tell in you have an older one is the stinger will have four holes on the stinger not three or two. They will also have four digit model numbers instead of the two of later day ones. These are great smokers, I have have over 50 of them and they smoke great. The stinger in them is far from worthless. Considering my personal collection is about 700 pipes, they represent a large portion of my pipes. My collection goes up to very high end pipes and some of my Woodies out smoke them. This is where you are seeing the price differences, the old ones will sell for good prices while the newer ones will go unsold.

Reactions: Idahojoe

wallbright

Aug 22, 2010
Hey thanks strongirish for the info. I will definitely look at my pipes closely when they get here.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
The thing with lower end pipes is they are good for when you are working , clinching . While I do not advocate the 600 dollar pipe I will attest that the Stanwells , Nordings , Savallini and Bjarne seem to be better smokers overall. Old Kaywoodies pre 1950 are true jewels .

wallbright

Aug 22, 2010
I believe I have enough pipes for now. I did however bid on a couple of lots one of which includes a Bent Bob. Though, it has 4 days left I doubt I will get it. They will probably end up on one of y'alls pipe racks haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.