PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fluffie666

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2014
I recently acquired a nice little Kaywoodie 600 pipe. It seems the previous owner glued the stem into the shank. It's not acceptable for me to leave it in such condition. I need to get the stem out and the pipe into good working order again. I've tried a lot of ways to get the glue undone. First, I tried freezing it. That didn't work. Then I tried a heat gun. That didn't work either. I thought a salt treatment might get some everclear far enough into the shank to loosen the glue. That was a fail. Then to the retort. That didn't help either. Next, I carefully filled the shank with everclear and let it sit, hoping it would at least soften the glue on the threaded metal mortise that the stinger screws into. I figured if I can get it apart from the other side, I could then work on getting the stinger out of the mortise then later putting whole thing back together. That didn't help me any either. My next step is to submerge the entire pipe in everclear. If that fails then I was going to drop it into acetone. My last two options are a last ditch effort. At this point I'm hoping it's not epoxy that was used to join the stem to the aluminum.

Has anyone ever run into this issue and solved it without implementing my last two options?

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Oy! That sounds like a rough one. Any possibility it is not glued, but that the threads are corroded together? If so, a bit of judiciously applied penetrating oil may help.

fluffie666

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2014
After looking at the outside of the aluminum a little more closely, it does look like the aluminum is very corroded. Fortunately, I always have a can of penetrating oil in the car. Unfortunately, I feel like I'll need to wait a month until all that alcohol evaporates before I even try that. Thanks aldecaker! I'll report back, hopefully with pics. I also picked up a Kaywoodie KBB oom paul from the late 20's. I'm dying to post pics of that thing too.

cossackjack

Lifer
Oct 31, 2014
Evergreen, Colorado
Nix the penetrating oils. They contain petroleum distillates & likely contain one or more aromatic hydrocarbons (benzene, xylene, toluene or their derivatives) - known or suspected carcinogens. I would not risk impregnating the briar with these chemicals.

Consider trying mineral or a low viscosity vegetable oil.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
We're talking about a metal-to-metal threaded joint, as far as I know. In that case, there should be no contact with the briar at all. I agree, though, I would not want penetrating oil in my briar.

fluffie666

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2014
Thanks gents. I'm going to let it dry for a while and try the vegetable oil. If that doesn't work, I'll nuke it for 30 seconds. I really don't want to put it in the microwave but I'm up for whatever works at this point. Thanks again! I'll report back.

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
image.png

Status
Not open for further replies.