PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I own and enjoy several Super Grain Kaywoodies from the 30's, late 40's and 60's. This is my first Flame Grain, which I believe was made in the late 1940's or early 1950's. I did a restoration article on the Reborn Pipes blog:

http://rebornpipes.com/2014/09/05/kaywoodie-flame-grain-99b-restored-pre-1955/
Before:
kaywoodie_flame_grain_99b_before.jpg

kaywoodie_flame_grain_99b_before-5.jpg

After:
kaywoodie_flame_grain_99b_finished.jpg

kaywoodie_flame_grain_99b_finished-3.jpg

kaywoodie_flame_grain_99b_finished-11.jpg

kaywoodie_flame_grain_99b_finished-12.jpg

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
Beautiful job, Al! This is one of my all time favorite pipes, glad someone else enjoys them too.

irish

Lifer
Aug 12, 2011
Texas
Great Job as usual Al. That is a good looking Kaywoodie. I bet it makes a great smoker. :puffpipe:

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Thanks guys. That one was one of the most difficult shanks to clean that I have encountered. I spent the better part of an hour with brushes and alcohol. I never got it completely clean, but apparently good enough. I smoked the pipe this morning with no funky ghosting.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
There was one issue with the pipe that I did not fix on the first attempt, and just corrected. The stem insert was off by a hair and not square to the diamond shank of the briar. This left a little ridge that I could feel and it can be seen in one of the "before" pictures. Steve Laug said some inserts could be moved into position with a pair of needle-nosed pliars, which I attempted, but was unsuccessful. He also suggested trying a little heat (it was difficult to heat with damaging the briar). This was nerve-wracking trying to grab the thin metal edge and not damage the briar.
I looked thru my auto tool box and decided that perhaps I could remove the insert with a set of screw-extractors. This bit did remove the insert. I had to clean and then grease the insert threads which worked! Thanks Steve for the encouragement and advice!
kaywoodie_flame_grain_99b_stem-fix.jpg

kaywoodie_flame_grain_99b_stem-fix-2.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Handsome restoration. A good case against cake building, to my mind. That was back when the Drinkless feature

on Kaywoodie actually lined up the bit perpendicular to the shank. Now you have to employ a hair dryer to soften

the glue and hope the re-hardened glue holds the job in place. Kaywoodie does make some push-bit briar pipes,

if you can find them.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
@mso489: The stinger was correctly oriented to the stem, it was the insert in the shank that needed adjustment.
@xrundog: There is a member "riff raff" here, but I'm "ssjones" on this forum, "riff raff" on all other platforms.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
An amazing restoration and helpful step-by-step for those of us with Kaywoodies to restore. The large-ball stinger on yours marks an early Flame Grain. I have seen some that may be a few years older, but not many. Also, any bent Flame Grains I have seen lack the really early stinger design, so yours may be about as old as it gets. As late as 1952 Kaywoodie advertised their Flame Grains as being made from 200-400 year-old Albanian briar. You have a beautiful and old piece of briar in your stable of pipes.

Status
Not open for further replies.