PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kgill

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 11, 2013
I got this one at an antique shop. Well used. The stem has really deep tooth marks and probably quite thin.This pipe still has the stinger, i know a lot of smokers toss them, but Im going to clean it out and give it a try.
Does anyone know how the stinger is removed? This stem threads on, does the stinger thread out of the stem?
You can see the stem misalignment, i assume it from the gunk around the stinger base and on the mating surfaces. Hopefully a clean will bring it closer in alignment. Any advice on this issue?

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Another good find, Kgill.
Is the stinger fixed to the threaded piece of metal? If so, removal won't be an option. However, if it is removable you should be able to pull or twist it out of the thread although a good alcohol soaking might be a prerequisite.
Last year I learned a neat little trick here for dealing with misaligned stems. Grab a lighter and start applying heat where the thread meets the pipe stem. When you catch the first whiff of melting Vulcanite grab your needle nose pliers and rotate the thread left or right. It might take a couple of tries to get it right, but you'll get there. (I keep a couple of worthless estate burners around to try out tips and tricks I read about on this forum. I always feel better practicing on something I don't care about.)
Good luck and be sure to post some "after" pix.
Fnord

jgriff

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
While I don't support stinger removal, the people that do claim it improves the draw. I would clean it up first and smoke it first for a while. All my Kaywoodies still have their stingers and they smoke fine. Basically, to remove it, you need to cut off the stinger itself with a dremel before the threads so you can still screw it in. Kaywoodie collectors prefer the the unmodified pipes obviously but you bought it to smoke it....

hodirty

Lifer
Jan 10, 2013
Nice find. Looks like a pretty solid pipe, good luck getting her cleaned up and enjoy! Thanks for sharing, too.

kgill

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 11, 2013
Thanks for the feedback. I forgot to mention I paid $5.50 for this one, the Nording in my other post cost me $6.00, not bad for one day!!

Status
Not open for further replies.