PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

trailspike48

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 15, 2013
After reading all the comments on meer pipes and how they smoke cool, I started loooking on ebay to see what is available. I was suprised to find Kaywoodie made a block meerschaum. I have read some of the big names on this site, includig Altinok, SMS, Baki and another that seems to be associated with poor business relations. Here's the question? How do I tell what is a good meerschaum? Is it a matter of price? How are the old Kaywoodies?

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
Older Kaywoodies are top notch smokers. Real good deal for the money. My opinion is a 40+ yr old Kaywoodie is hard to beat for anything new under $100.00 with today's pipes.

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
I have several of the old Kaywoodie meers. Basically you can tell if it's block meer instead of pressed is by the weight of the pipe. Pressed is much heavier. The Kaywoodie meers that I smoke are as good a smoking pipe as any other fancy hand carved pieces, and the Kaywoodie Meerschaum lined pipes are also great smoking pipes. Some say that a meerschaum lined pipe is not the best of both worlds, it's not the best meer and not the best briar. The bottom line is if you like it smoke it, and of you are smoking a meer lined pipe you are smoking meerschaum. Also the Kaywoodie pipes have the Ball Fitment which some people like and some don't. Personally I have no preference either way, but if I'm buying a Kaywoodie I want it in original condition with the fitment intact. Enough rambling on my part, but get yourself a nice Kaywoodie meer and I think you will be pleased.

oldredbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2012
I also own several old Kaywoodie pipes, and have a couple that smoke just as good as my Dunnie. IMO the older ones with the solid clover leaf in the stem are fine smokers.

Status
Not open for further replies.