PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I was thrilled to find this Kaywoodie "Super Grain" 5138B in my mailbox today and feel very fortunate to have found it. You guys know I love the Rhodesian pipe shape, particularly one with a tapered stem. The 5138B is an iconic shape from Kaywoodie and I've been searching for the right one for two years. This one came from pipe restorer Dave Whitney, who has written the book "Old Briar" which you can purchase on his Ebay site.
Dave dated the pipe at 1938. From the stamping and four digit shape number and "Drinkless" four hole stinger, I say it is definitely from the 1930's. The pipe is in magnificent shape. There was one dent on the bowl top, which I was able to steam out nicely. The beading is a bit worn, but the stem and rest of the pipe is really fabulous.
The dent fix:

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
Love that Kaywoodie. Since you know much about these shapes and some makers, how about this Dunmoor that belongs to a friend?

jkenp

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2013
NW Indiana
"You guys know I love the Rhodesian pipe shape, particularly one with a tapered stem" --Al
We've noted it as your only known flaw; although, the study of that isn't extensive. :)
We need to consult your wife.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
My wife just rolled hers, even after I said "come on, this thing is 70 years old"! Some folks just don't appreciate art....
I can't help on the Dunmoor, but it is a great shape. It looks like a screw in stem, right?

flmason

Lifer
Oct 8, 2012
Congratulations Al on your new pipe. It is nice to be able to enjoy and appreciate an item that was made long ago and has lasted. It is sad that workers today will no longer make items to last 80 years or longer.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Hi Al,
Congratulations on your Kaywoodie! Enjoy it in good health! 1938 would be a reasonable date. Could be a year or two earlier. 1938 is when Kaywoodie introduced the Flame Grain as its new top grade and phased out the 4 digit model numbers. The 4 hole stingers continued to be used as late as 1948 according to a Kaywoodie collector with whom I used to correspond. Since your pipe also is stamped "Imported Briar", that puts the earliest date at 1936-7.
Great pipes! 100 year old wood that was properly air cured for years before being turned.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Al I have a Super Grain 83B with no patent # do you know how old this pipe is? Unfortunately someone hacked the Stinger off, it is a big bulldog.Love that shape, yours is a good piece of history.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Congratulations on your Kaywoodie! Enjoy it in good health! 1938 would be a reasonable date. Could be a year or two earlier. 1938 is when Kaywoodie introduced the Flame Grain as its new top grade and phased out the 4 digit model numbers. The 4 hole stingers continued to be used as late as 1948 according to a Kaywoodie collector with whom I used to correspond. Since your pipe also is stamped "Imported Briar", that puts the earliest date at 1936-7.
Thanks Jesse. The stinger on this one does say "Drinkless" but it is worn. I'll have to use my loupe to see if there is any remnant of a patent number. I've learned the "Drinkless" stamped stinger was dropped in '41. I'm off to smoke it now!

Status
Not open for further replies.