PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
A young pipe smoking friend and I attended the KC Pipe Show on Saturday and had a great time. The pipes were beautiful and it was fun to meet to meet the different craftsmen and admire their handwork.
I had several highlights that day.
Getting to meet master blender Russ Ouellette was just a kick in the pants. I was at the Pipes and Cigars booth visiting with Nico when this guy walked by and I went slack jawed blood simple. "Is that Russ Ouellette?" I went into full fanboy mode, waved my friend over, and Russ talked to us for over 45 minutes: giving us the history of Hearth & Home, discussing tobaccos and telling wonderful and some very funny stories about naming his blends and his friendships with other members of the pipe and tobacco making community.
I also had the pleasure of meeting Tim West and his son Quinton. I've admired Mr. West's burners for years and have a tremendous amount of respect for his skills in restoring old soldiers. He is a wonderful gentleman.
Finally, I had a chance to visit with Mike and Mary McNiel, owners of the McClelland Tobacco Company. Mike is always good for a couple of great stories and we talked about the Cellars and how wildly popular they've become. He also bragged on his wife, "Most people don't know this but Mary did all the artwork for the Frog Morton's. She's never had an art lesson in her life just sat down one day and started doing it." Mary McNiel, who might be the sweetest person on earth, shrugged her shoulders and smiled, "It was just watercolors."
The Kansas City Pipe Club knows how to put on a show and this one was pure class.
Fnord

protestantpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 20, 2013
That's awesome. I'm looking forward to the CORPS Show in Oct. down in Richmond. I haven't been to a pipe show in a long time. On a side note McClelland Tobacco Company seems to have some of the greatest offerings out there right now overall. I love the FM, 221B series, and their premium aromatics.

protestantpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 20, 2013
I loved it when the Big Smoke was in Atlantic City...those were good days! Hopefully, the will be a forum gathering at the Richmond show.

Status
Not open for further replies.