Status
Not open for further replies.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
It may sound like the theme of a Jim Carrey comedy - First, we ban smoking, then we raise tobacco taxes ...
http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/pipe-news/kansas-anti-tobacco-legislation-may-be-the-next-dumb-dumber/

dillydallydan

Lurker
Feb 26, 2010
When governments use taxation to regulate personal behavior, we are in deep doo-doo. In Britain the same thing is happening, but at least the government there admits they are trying to get people to stop smoking by making it too expensive to continue.
I really do worry about politicians enforcing their view of what is best for me through legislation.
Interesting article. Thanks for keeping us up to speed on this subject.

dudleydipstick

Can't Leave
Dec 13, 2009
I'm not so sure I consider Chris McCalla or the IPCPR to be allies as far as it concerns how people do business.
"People also cross borders and use the Internet to purchase their tobacco products which eliminates all tobacco taxes from the state’s coffers."
That's not exactly a free market sentiment and I don't care for the weight of it.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
The IPCPR is the trade organization for the B&M (physical) retail tobacconists.
Although I am certainly in support of internet retailers - I do business with them and they do business with me - I do not think this hobby could be as well-served, and continue to grow without B&M stores.
I just bought a tin of tobacco for $25 at my local shop that I could get online for $13. Florida sales tax and Florida tobacco tax.

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
Ditto about supporting B&M's Kevin.
Whenever I go into a B&M I always buy something. I would rather give them a little extra money (they are not getting it, the government is) and have a place where I can go and browse and relax than save the couple of bucks and eventually they may go out of business.
Don't get me wrong, I do buy a lot of stuff online, but I also support B&M's.

dudleydipstick

Can't Leave
Dec 13, 2009
Don't get me wrong, I do buy a lot of stuff online, but I also support B&M's.
There are a couple nice B&M's in my area that I'll go out of my way to do business with and am eager to do so. As they say though, the heart wants what it wants, and if something isn't available or is too costly, I like being able to shop to meet my needs.
I kind of regret the comment, as it would be hard to expand much on it without inserting political beliefs.
To the subject at hand though, c'mon Kansas legislators, get real!

dillydallydan

Lurker
Feb 26, 2010
I agree with that view - support the locals whenever possible.
I went to my closest B&M for the first time yesterday (20 + miles away). I usually shop local as we have an old fashioned hardware store a couple miles away that sells everything from tacks to firearms and tobacco to jerky.
The official tobacco shop had a very pretty young lady behind the counter who greeted me with a big smile. But when I told her I was looking to discuss some custom blended pipe tobacco she informed me she knew nothing about pipe tobacco. She said everyone just smelled the jars and decided on their own what to buy.
Well that's what I did too, but as the local blends didn't have any info on what was in them (other than the flavors), I had to decide by looking at the tobacco, which isn't enough for me. I could guess online. Anyway I bought some stuff, but I doubt I will go back. My hardware store does a better job of talking tobacco than the official tobacco shop!
The next closest B&M to me, according to Google maps, is 50 miles. Long way to go in Winter, so I guess I'll be back at the hardware shop.

thecigarsoldier

Might Stick Around
Feb 8, 2010
Wisconsin
B&M are still the backbone of our hobby. I have introduced more people than I can recall to premium tobacco at what I consider my local tobacconists. Yes, prices are a tad higher but it’s the whole experience, the service and environment that keep you coming back.
P.S. I support my local shop so much I actually work part time there.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I would love to support my local B&M the problem is: I have none. The closest shop is in Minneapolis Some two and a half hours away.

Art

pbgoldwing55

Lurker
Feb 2, 2010
also do alot of business with internet don't have any tobacco stores here in colby kansas

have considered opening a tobacco shop here but perhaps wouldnt do good .

Status
Not open for further replies.