PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

justsomedude

Lurker
Jul 31, 2019
Denver, CO
In general I'm a big fan of pot-billiard pipes, with the Stanwell 45s being my favorite right now. I'm always on the hunt for new pot shaped pipes, and stumbled upon this K&P Petersons "Highlander" estate pipe on eBay.
I ended up winning the auction, but cannot find any other information about this shape/pipe. The only other marking I can find is a "G1" underneath the "Made in Republic of Ireland" stamp.
Is anyone familiar with the Highlander, or know when it may have been made?

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
No idea! But it looks like a great pipe. As a pot fan, I'm sure you are already aware of them, but my favorite pot shape so far is the Savinelli 122/121. Such great smokers. They have some screaming deals on higher end ones on smokingpipes right now.
Also really like some of the old Barling Pot shapes.

justsomedude

Lurker
Jul 31, 2019
Denver, CO
As a pot fan, I'm sure you are already aware of them, but my favorite pot shape so far is the Savinelli 122/121. Such great smokers. They have some screaming deals on higher end ones on smokingpipes right now.
I actually was not aware of these; thank you!
I'm checking out the SP deals at this moment...

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
No problem. They have a bunch there. The best value right now is probably on the spigot sterling models (natural and bordeaux), usually $300-$400 pipes are selling for $120-$150. I have a couple and they are excellent smokers. They have a bunch of more affordable ones too though, of those I like the Porto Cervo rusticated ones the best. I have one that I use as a real workhorse whenever I'm out and about. Excellent for English blends and/or ribbon cut Va/Vapers.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
What's the main difference between the 121 and 122? Sounds like 121 is just a bit bigger?
Virtually nothing. The dimensions pretty much overlap, and from what I can tell no noticeable difference in the way they smoke. The main difference is that there are a lot more models and finishes available in the 122. You can also find "EX" models in both which are even larger. I don't have any experience with those yet, but I hope to soon :)
Also... do the Savinelli filter pipes come with a filter adapter? Or will I need to buy one elsewhere?
I don't think so. The ones I have all just come with Balsa wood filters that fit right into the tenon/mortise. Just have to be careful not to push them all the way to the back of the tenon or it will tighten the draw.

justsomedude

Lurker
Jul 31, 2019
Denver, CO
Thank you for the info! :)
I don't think so. The ones I have all just come with Balsa wood filters that fit right into the tenon/mortise. Just have to be careful not to push them all the way to the back of the tenon or it will tighten the draw.
Since I've never had a filter pipe, what's your recommendation here? Get balsa filters? Get a filter adapter? I'm probably going to take a plunge on one of these 121s. Just want to know what I'm getting into on the filter side of things. :?:
PS: I actually do have a Stanwell 003 with a filter, but I always just used the adapter that came with it.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Most new Savinelli pipes come with a 6 pack of balsa filters in the box. I like the balsa filters quite a lot, they absorb moisture very well, and come out black after 2 or 3 smokes, so they do the job. You can also buy larger quantities of filters if you like, they are quite cheap.
I use them most of the time in my savinelli pipes, but sometimes I smoke unfiltered as well, if I am in a hurry or just feeling indulgent.
Again, just make sure they aren't pushed all the way up against the back of the tenon on your stem, as it will impact the draw.
This discussion rekindled my PAD. I just scooped up a 121 EX (Deluxe Milano Smooth) estate I've seen lurking, so that makes two of us, hahaha. My wife is going to kill me.....

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Just snagged the 121 KS Marte Smooth. :)
Oooh! Nice looking pipe, I was eyeing one of those as well. I like the copper accent band and the dark stain. Beautiful straight grain on that first side. Congrats! I hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoy them! Good choice with no bowl coating as well, I like the uncoated Savs better these days.
I tried to mitigate the wife wrath by going estate on this fellow.... I was particularly attracted to the EX sizing as well as the straight grain on it.
https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/estate/italy/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=331950

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Thanks. When my wife asks why I am buying more pipes I will tell her that it was just some dude's fault :lol:
Was just checking out some of the Stanwells at danishpipeshop. Mostly only gone through them for cheap dunhills, but I love the quantity of pot shape varieties in the Stanwell line. I'll keep them in mind for another day...
Well, fun chatting with you. Let me know if you discover anymore particularly interesting Pots, as I am a fan of the shape as well.
Now that I have a sav pot for english, one for Va, and one for Va/Pers. Life........couldn't get any better. "Or could it?" whisper the Barling and Sasieni estates on ebay.......... :puffy:

litup

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2015
Sacramento, CA
The stamping of "Made in the Republic of Ireland" narrows it down to anytime since 1949. And this might be a shot in the dark, but the G should refer to the specific year but it depends on the font. http://pipephil.eu/logos/en/infos/hallmark-dublin.html
My best guess is that your pipe is from 1992.

justsomedude

Lurker
Jul 31, 2019
Denver, CO
Well, fun chatting with you. Let me know if you discover anymore particularly interesting Pots, as I am a fan of the shape as well.
Will do! :puffy:
The stamping of "Made in the Republic of Ireland" narrows it down to anytime since 1949. And this might be a shot in the dark, but the G should refer to the specific year but it depends on the font. http://pipephil.eu/logos/en/infos/hallmark-dublin.html
My best guess is that your pipe is from 1992.
Thanks for the assist!
But now I'm even more confused. As the "G" doesn't seem to match any of those hallmark fonts...

Status
Not open for further replies.