Pipes Magazine » Tobacco Legislation

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Kalifornia Suks

(63 posts)
  1. zonomo

zonomo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yesterday I was visiting the Santa Monica pier and sitting in the 3rd Street Promenade (a very cool outdoor mall) enjoying a street performer. It was a spectacular crisp and cool sunny day made all the better by my sweet Boswell and a fresh bowl of Hobbits Weed. Some guy came up and said, I don't mind a bit but if they catch you smoking, it's an $1100 fine. I put it out immediately. No problem, I'll just head to the mostly empty beach. The walk there was "littered" with No Smoking, No Skateboards, No Animals signs. To my utter shock, I see a giant sign that says, No Smoking on the Beach. I could not believe this. I had to maneuver everywhere around homeless people but smoking is OUT in The People's Republik of Kalifornia.

I was tring to explain to my GF that's these laws are designed to remove freedom for perceived greater good. But the problem is that these politicians need something to do so they'll continue to pass laws that chip away at your freedom one thing at a time. What could be more enjoyable than sitting on the beach, watching Gods wonderful creation and the timeless faithful waves playing their rythemic song, while smoking a pipe (or anything else)?

I'm sure this post will get banned or closed. So be it. I needed to state my mind on these affairs which are truly sad not to mention unsettling.

Z

I

Posted 1 year ago #
  2. sothron

Perique

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I would have a hard time living in California.

Posted 1 year ago #
  3. cortezattic

Cortez

A part of the problem since he ...

Login to Send PM

What a sad state of affairs. Pretty soon the vegans will force all of us to eat seaweed and tofu.

I find myself sitting idly on the line dividing past and future,
    as if I could kill time without injuring eternity. -- Thoreau
    Posted 1 year ago #
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

bigmick

Login to Send PM

I don't mind smoke on the beach, but I hate people who leave their butts behind.

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

chopsie

Login to Send PM

@bigmick I believe that's a big reason why they don't allow smoking on the beaches; but then again I've been wrong many times before and will be again. Saying that I think its ridiculous not allowing people to smoke in outdoor areas.Reminds me of hearing about the no smoking in Central Park in New York, breathe all the pollution from the cars in the city but you can't smoke tobacco, what a joke of a thing.

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. allan

allan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Z, I completely agree with you. It is not only Kalifornia, but NY as well. Even in Europe now I hear that smoking is banned in pubs and other public areas. New York City public areas like beaches and parks smoking is banned. It seems so far that only Eastern Europe is free from our 'health protecktors'.

Allan

Allan
    Posted 1 year ago #
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

chopsie

Login to Send PM

@Allan, there has been a smoking ban in pubs here in Ireland since 2004 and as a heavy smoker I prefer it. There are many pubs with great almost indoor like covered/heated areas anyway so I don't mind it in the slightest and it also means you can actually see inside the pub as there isn't the big cloud of smoke.

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. thuber88

thuber88

Login to Send PM

We could spend all day on Kalifornia thoughts.......
    I will bite my tongue and leave it at that

Posted 1 year ago #
  9. puffy

puffy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

When those of us back east read of some of the things going on out on the west coast.We wonder if someone forgot to close the door of the fruit cake factory.

Life's most valuable treasure is..Love
    Posted 1 year ago #
  10. allan

allan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Chopsie

Well, having an overhead heated area is a fantastic idea. If that were the only thing holding smoking bans back, well, great.

Not over here, though.

Enjoy your public smoking areas while you can.

Allan

Posted 1 year ago #
  11. thuber88

thuber88

Login to Send PM

Some nice places there, but you get a queasy feeling every time you cross the border..
    For a state all about freedoms, they specialize in taking everyone else's away.

Posted 1 year ago #
  12. taerin

Eric

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This post is fine in tobacco legislation, the mods were having an issue with politics being discussed that was unrelated to pipe tobacco or cigars. Or for arguements that got personal.

"The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time."
    Mark Twain
    Posted 1 year ago #
  13. docwatson

docwatson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Z,
    You are not alone in that respect of no smoking on the beach. If I am not mistaken we have a similar regulation here in MAINE (certain counties) of all places. Personally I think that anywhere along a coastal state, whether East or West we find these extremists that must dictate what we can or cannot do. The only thing Kalifornia has going for it is the weather IMO.

It's good sportsmanship to not pick up lost golf balls while they are still rolling---Mark Twain
    Posted 1 year ago #
  14. planetary

planetary

Login to Send PM

Like it or not, our hobby alters the environment around us, and not everyone is into that at all times. So having a regulation that a single person cannot pollute the air around them isn't prima facie unreasonable -- especially when most of the people this law targets are cigarette smokers, whose fumes are genuinely disgusting.

Of course, I'm a vegetarian liberal from California, so my opinions may be suspect.

Posted 1 year ago #
  15. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

You are not alone in that respect of no smoking on the beach. If I am not mistaken we have a similar regulation here in MAINE (certain counties) of all places.

Yep, all the State Parks and beaches in Maine, as well as most community beaches are non-smoking. I support this, because I'm tired of seeing butts all over the place. That said, before I learned this was state law, I smoked my pipe on our picnic site in the State Park we often frequent and never got hassled.

Posted 1 year ago #
  16. peckinpahhombre

peckinpahhombre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hey Zonomo - I went to California last summer on a family holiday. I saw all those no smoking signs as well and just ignored them. I expect I would have a different view if I lived there, but as someone who doesn't I concluded that they could give me tickets and fines until the cows come home and I wasn't paying any of them. I was never bothered.

Posted 1 year ago #
  17. judcole

Jud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I would guess that BigMick is right, that this is due to the litter from cigarette butts being left behind. As much (or more) of an anti-littering thing than an anti-smoking thing.

Thought in the early morning, solace in time of woes,
    Peace in the hush of the twilight, balm ere my eyelids close
    Rudyard Kipling
    Posted 1 year ago #
  18. philip

Philip

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I would guess that BigMick is right, that this is due to the litter from cigarette butts being left behind. As much (or more) of an anti-littering thing than an anti-smoking thing.

I agree. I have been fed up in the past with cigarette smokers who seem to think the world is their ashtray.

Still, all the anti-smoking laws in our state (Washington) are a large part of the reason why I took up smoking again in the first place. Every bowl is a protest against governments that want to take away personal freedoms to control the people. When people ask why I smoke I tell them it's thanks to former Gov. Gregoire.

Posted 1 year ago #
  19. sebastian

sebastian

Login to Send PM

Unfortunately, as we have seen with many other topics: So says California, and the rest of the nation soon follows. I think these type of attacks on our liberties will spread like wildfire. Cali is merely a starting point.

Posted 1 year ago #
  20. zonomo

zonomo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well if that's true, then they better outlaw Starbucks too because I see so many discarded coffee cups, cup holders.

Of course, I'm a vegetarian liberal from California, so my opinions may be suspec
    As a good liberal, you should be all about acceptance, live and let live, every opinion is valid and of equal value I just dont know how smoking on a beach would bother someone else's "air". I have other people's BBQ smoke on a beach blow smoke on me too but I didnt worry too much about it. Oh ya, I almost forgot. You can't BBQ on the beach either......

Posted 1 year ago #
  21. tanless1

tanless1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks zonomo

Posted 1 year ago #
  22. 05venturer

05venturer

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

zonomo it seems as though you were "Kalifornicated"

Kent

Posted 1 year ago #
  23. colorduke

colorduke

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

We don't put up with that LEFT COAST bullshit here.

I will give up my pipe when they pry my cold dead fingers off of it!
    Posted 1 year ago #
  24. bigboi

bigboi

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

that sucks. Oh and Phillip My sentiments exactly about lighting a bowl up in here in WA.

“I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgement in all human affairs.”
    -Albert Einstein, 1950
    Posted 1 year ago #
  25. daveinlax

daveinlax

Login to Send PM

I'll bet you didn't show up for the public hearings when these ordinances were passed. The anti's were there in force. Folks these laws and ordinance don't pass overnight. For the pipe smoker who own a home and is stuck smoking outside or in a garage take a stand and come in from the cold.

Posted 1 year ago #
  26. User has not uploaded an avatar

htmn246

Login to Send PM

One of the reasons I left the state!!

Posted 1 year ago #
  27. thuber88

thuber88

Login to Send PM

Theres a reason its on the LEFT side of the states.....

Posted 1 year ago #
  28. judcole

Jud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well if that's true, then they better outlaw Starbucks too because I see so many discarded coffee cups, cup holders.

What's easier for the cleanup crew on the beach - picking up 10 paper coffee cups,or picking up 10 cig butts?

Posted 1 year ago #
  29. mikephillips

mikephillips

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

What's easier for the cleanup crew on the beach - picking up 10 paper coffee cups,or picking up 10 cig butts?

That's a trick question: Neither, the cleanup crew is so stoned they can't tell a cup from a butt.

Also, if they want to cure a litter problem, you outlaw littering (which it already is), not smoking.

Like it or not, our hobby alters the environment around us, and not everyone is into that at all times. So having a regulation that a single person cannot pollute the air around them isn't prima facie unreasonable -- especially when most of the people this law targets are cigarette smokers, whose fumes are genuinely disgusting.

Of course, I'm a vegetarian liberal from California, so my opinions may be suspect. [:)]

Considering that automotive exhaust fumes are far more dangerous than any second-hand smoke that could be possibly picked up from a passing smoker, even if he had a dozen cigarettes lit and were completely enveloped in it, there's no reason for anti-smoking laws other than to be anti smoking. Ever sat around a campfire, roasted marshmallows? Ridden in a city bus puking out diesel fumes?

Posted 1 year ago #
  30. crpntr1

Chris

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

[quote]wonder if someone forgot to close the door of the fruit cake factory[quote]

The most important things in life are good friends and a good bullpen...not necessarily in that order

You may all go to hell, I'll go to Texas-Davy Crockett
    Posted 1 year ago #
  31. zonomo

zonomo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'll bet you didn't show up for the public hearings when these ordinances were passed. The anti's were there in force. Folks these laws and ordinance don't pass overnight. For the pipe smoker who own a home and is stuck smoking outside or in a garage take a stand and come in from the cold.
    This is an excellent point. A few vocal minority group can mobilise and mange drastic changes. Having been only a smoker for 2 months, I've missed all the fun so far but my radar is up.

Posted 1 year ago #
  32. judcole

Jud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Also, if they want to cure a litter problem, you outlaw littering (which it already is), not smoking.

Right. We also know that littering laws tend to be widely ignored. Cigarette smokers are often really bad about this. How many times have we seen cigarette smokers not only pitch the butt, but do things like dump car ashtrays on the ground.
    Restrictions like this are caused, in part, by the thoughtless behavior of some (not all) smokers. That doesn't make it any easier to take, but I really think it behooves us to be open minded about this, and realize that the anti-smoking feeling that is very prevalent in this country is due to a number of factors. We can better stand up for ourselves and protect our rights if we understand this.

Posted 1 year ago #
  33. daveinlax

daveinlax

Login to Send PM

A few vocal minority group can mobilise and mange drastic changes.

I don't think we can get drastic change but if you can get even a handful of people to show up in opposition you can moderate drastic legislation. Thinking small is the key.

Posted 1 year ago #
  34. zonomo

zonomo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

yes. Sorry for all the type-o's on my last post (embarrassing), was going too fast and didn't proofread. My bad.

Posted 1 year ago #
  35. mikephillips

mikephillips

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Right. We also know that littering laws tend to be widely ignored. Cigarette smokers are often really bad about this. How many times have we seen cigarette smokers not only pitch the butt, but do things like dump car ashtrays on the ground.
    Restrictions like this are caused, in part, by the thoughtless behavior of some (not all) smokers. That doesn't make it any easier to take, but I really think it behooves us to be open minded about this, and realize that the anti-smoking feeling that is very prevalent in this country is due to a number of factors. We can better stand up for ourselves and protect our rights if we understand this.

It's not just cigarette smokers littering the beach, as has been pointed out. Candy wrappers, used condoms empty Starbucks cups, soda bottles...according to that logic, shouldn't they just make illegal for people to be on the beach? It would at least be clean for the gulls to enjoy.

I'm not disputing that cigarette smokers drop butts on the beach (and everywhere else they go) but it isn't because they're smokers, it's because they're stupid and inconsiderate smokers. When they make it illegal for stupid and inconsiderate people to go to the beach, then maybe the litter will stop. Until then, it should just be illegal to litter the beach, period. By tossing a butt on the beach you're already breaking one law, there's no need to make 2 to enforce.

And I'll reiterate: The "no smoking on the beach" law has nothing to do with litter, it's simply that lawmakers are pandering to the anti-smoking lobby.

Posted 1 year ago #
  36. brewshooter

Brewshooter

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

They may couch arguments against smoking on the beach in terms of littering, but you're fooling yourself if you believe it. They do it, because they believe they know better than you do what is best for you and your family, but I'm just a crazy libertarian from California. Trust me, around here, that is considered FAR more suspect by most people. Personal freedoms?!?! Sounds like a dangerous road to go down it you talk to anyone around here.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.
    -C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)
    Posted 1 year ago #
  37. maduroman

maduroman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

if ya was blowing a bowl ya woulda been good to go....

in san francisco i would be in more trouble from a bowl of sjf than a bowl of weed...

Posted 1 year ago #
  38. atboth

atboth

Login to Send PM

Well, Maduroman, as a resident of San Francisco I have to say it really isn't that bad. I frequently walk around with a lit pipe in my mouth, and so far I've had mostly positive feedback in the neighborhoods where suburbanites and out of towners seldom come. Except, of course, for tofu-snarfing Berkeley earthmoms who work in the downtown.
    Who, in any case, deserve some self-righteous apoplexy.
    And you could always visit the Occidental Cigar Club on Pine Street, which is the only bar in SF where smoking is allowed, due to a loophole in the law, and being grandfathered in when further restrictions were written.

I will admit that I've often been tempted to assert that what I'm smoking was prescribed by my doctor, though.....

-----ATBOTH
    Boring wafflegab about tobacco.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  39. misterlowercase

misterlowercase

Minister of Tobacciana

Login to Send PM

Santa Monica is perhaps the craziest of all, recently banning new tenants of apt/condos from smoking at all in the residence. And watch out for Waxman(D) from BevHills, he's pushing hard to close the pipe tobacco "tax loophole"

recent news:

While California used to lead the nation in anti-smoking policies, the Golden State is now lagging behind.

"Too many cities have done nothing at all," said Marcia Ramos, with the American Lung Association. "It’s quite surprising. We’re way below the bar on that."

California has fallen to 33rd place in the nation, behind Texas, Oklahoma and Montana, for its tobacco control policies, Ramos said.

Santa Monica received top honors for becoming the first city in the nation to ban smoking by new tenants inside apartments and condos, and for prohibiting smoking in all public outdoor gathering spots.

http://santamonica.patch.com/articles/apartment-condo-smoking-ban-approved-again

...and a funny story about the Pier in particular:
    Thanks to unclear signage on cigarette receptacles at the Santa Monica Pier (smoking was banned on the tourist attraction months ago), people are dumping change into the boxes, reports the Santa Monica Daily Press. The metal receptacles read "Save the Pier, Deposit Here" with the message of dumping cigarette butts in smaller font, leading some people to toss their loose change into the boxes--over $80 has been allegedly found. It's kind of murky as to where the money is ending up; a board member of the Pier Restoration Corp. thinks maintenance crews are keeping the change, though that begs the question--how would the PRC even know about the windfall? Interesting.

" mellow out or you will pay"

[+] Embed the video | Video DownloadGet the Video Widget

Posted 1 year ago #
  40. brewshooter

Brewshooter

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

atboth, I would agree, just walking down the street smoking a pipe in San Francisco probably won't get you too much notice. In Hayward, where I live, just walking down the street smoking anything is completely banned, luckily I live in an unincorporated area in the county!

Posted 1 year ago #
  41. zonomo

zonomo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It would at least be clean for the gulls to enjoy.
    I think they should outlaw gulls cuz they poop everywhere. As much as the crazy laws in WA state drive me nuts, I have to say that I am glad Im back home now where i can walk down the street and not be threatened by an $1100 fine.

Posted 1 year ago #
  42. User has not uploaded an avatar

mustanggt

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Civil disobedience is a fine and storied tradition of the history of this country. While it is true that we should do what our lefty friends do by mobilizing and heading to the city hall to make our voice heard also know that many times they just pretend to hear what you say and have already made up their mind before the meeting even starts. It's becoming increasingly more difficult for anything to be civil in our world anymore. "Compromise" is a word tossed around as a virtue these days however it means you have to give up your moral and ethical beliefs in order to agree with me. That's not a "compromise" that is capitulation and I shall have none of that.

Posted 1 year ago #
  43. trailspike48

trailspike48

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Many things are known to cause cancer in California.

Posted 1 year ago #
  44. coreyr

coreyr

Login to Send PM

When I attended college, VCU, in Richmond, Virginia, graduating in '01, They had erected "smoking shelters," outside and bannished all "the evil smokers" to those shelters. Then some bright bureauocrat decided that those shelters had to have "building numbers" in case campus police, fire or EMS needed to resond to them. Ok, got that. Then they passed a new law, "NO SMOKING IN ANY PUBLIC BUILDING." Guess what this included? Yep, you got it, the nice new "smoking shelters" now have great big "NO SMOKING" signs in them.
    When I left, they were where the drug addicts were hanging out. Good job legislature.

Freedom is never "Free!"
    Posted 1 year ago #
  45. dragonslayer

dragonslayer

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nothing compared to Hawaii, they are the leaders of the Nazi revolution. Too long a list, look it up. Worst is you can't smoke in your own home if it shares a wall, or 20' next to the entrance of any building. Unlike CA, the police have little to do and write you up on people's word. You can't even face your accuser.

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.” Patrick Henry
    Posted 1 year ago #
  46. zonomo

zonomo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yep, you got it, the nice new "smoking shelters" now have great big "NO SMOKING" signs in them.
    When I left, they were where the drug addicts were hanging out. Good job legislature.
    oh the dreaded law of unintended consequences. Or the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics (entropy). Things decay, even laws.

You can't even face your accuser.
    That doesnt even seem constitutional to me. Geeze.. what a sad state of affairs.

Posted 1 year ago #
  47. fitzy

fitzy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You think that's bad you can't give food to the homeless in NYC.

"Outlawed are food donations to homeless shelters because the city can’t assess their salt, fat and fiber content, reports CBS 2’s Marcia Kramer.

Glenn Richter arrived at a West Side synagogue on Monday to collect surplus bagels — fresh nutritious bagels — to donate to the poor. However, under a new edict from Bloomberg’s food police he can no longer donate the food to city homeless shelters."

Also pretty soon you won't be able to eat a famous NYC Pastrami sandwich as the NYC dictator says the salt content is too high. I'm all for people restricting their salt content but that doesn't mean our government should be telling us what we can and can't do.

Midwest Wood Creations
    Be sure to check out Gecko13's handiwork when in the market for any of your pipe accessory needs such as tampers, cabinets, pipe racks etc.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  48. mrgunnar177

mrgunnar177

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I see that all my fellow WA pipe smokers are here. Cali is horrible half my family live near LA. I plan on moving south ASAP.

You can buy education, but wisdom is a gift from God.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  49. mrgunnar177

mrgunnar177

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

And not south to Cali. I'm talking deep south

Posted 1 year ago #
  50. fitzy

fitzy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

And not south to Cali. I'm talking deep south

Would that be San Diego? That's pretty much not Cali.

Posted 1 year ago #
  51. mikephillips

mikephillips

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Would that be San Diego? That's pretty much not Cali.

I'm pretty sure that was annexed back into northern Mexico about 20 years ago....actually, Mexico sort of moved into SD, I think.

Posted 1 year ago #
  52. zonomo

zonomo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You think that's bad you can't give food to the homeless in NYC.
    I heard about that. A church was trying to serve meals to the homeless (something they're called to do) but was banned from doing so. I guess a starving empty stomach is better then food that has not been officially blessed by the State. Really pathetic.

Posted 1 year ago #
  53. buster

buster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I am a California Native and would not think twice about smoking a pipe on the beach. Even if there is a sign posted. I would not even put out a big fat joint if the rangers drove by. Seriously they will not hassle you unless you are being a total douche and raising hell.

Think slow, act fast.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  54. igloo

igloo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

As a California native I would say they get a bad rap one given by the media . Laws are meant to be broken or just ignored .

“There was an awful suspicion in my mind that I'd finally gone over the hump, and the worst thing about it was that I didn't feel tragic at all, but only weary, and sort of comfortably detached.”
    Posted 1 year ago #
  55. zonomo

zonomo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

As a California native I would say they get a bad rap one given by the media
    I'd say they get a bad rap because their politicians are nutty. BTW, I was born in Oakland, raised in Fremont/Newark. I too am a Native but I got the stink outta there.....

Posted 1 year ago #
  56. maduroman

maduroman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

the warden is a kalifornia native and she can't wait to retire to get the flock outa here...

Posted 1 year ago #
  57. eazye77

eazye77

Login to Send PM

So is this part of the reason why it's so hard to find a pipe club in Cali? Especially the southern part?

Posted 1 year ago #
  58. zonomo

zonomo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

So is this part of the reason why it's so hard to find a pipe club in Cali? Especially the southern part?
    I dont know but I bet so. My guess is that they'd need a "license" and a bunch of other junk the Gov'mt has no business regulating.... Good luck. You're always welcome in our Seattle Pipe Club!

Posted 1 year ago #
  59. eazye77

eazye77

Login to Send PM

Okay wow. . . It's not that serious.

Oh well, not stopping me from enjoying my hobby. At the end of the day that's what this is. To me anyway.

Posted 1 year ago #
  60. onepyrotec

onepyrotec

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Unfortunately, as we have seen with many other topics: So says California, and the rest of the nation soon follows. I think these type of attacks on our liberties will spread like wildfire. Cali is merely a starting point.

For us in Nevada, we don't follow, we got overtaken. Every few years we get a pile of "retirees" from the Silicon Valley...They retire in their 30's & 40's and sell their homes there for enough to pay cash here and live the rest of their lives comfortably. THAT I don't care...but they also bring the "ban everything I don't like" mentality. They actually tried to start getting the Casinos to go smokeless...I don't go to them much except to eat, but some only allow cigarettes from what I hear. For what it is worth, the one casino in Lake Tahoe that was 100% smokeless never had any customers and folded.

I left CA 13 years ago because I just couldn't fit in with all the new rules.

Posted 1 year ago #
  61. trailboss

trailboss

Login to Send PM

I am accompanying my wife to our last trip to California for Thanksgiving, as we have a memorial to her recently deceased mother. Awhile back I visited a beach in Oceanside, and the cops were like vampires in a bloodbank looking for evidence of anyone smoking on one side of a yellow line as you cross towards the beach..weeks earlier some beaches had outlawed frisbees as a danger.
    I just learned that in city parks you cannot smoke anymore either...in a state that prides itself on being "progressive" they are pretty Hitlerian when it comes to things they decide they don't want you to do, and the cops look the other way, when total depravity is underway..my buddy over at Zombietime has made a life work at cataloging this stupidity.

Five days in, and that's the end of that hellhole for me, then I will be back in my free state...slave states suck.

St. Augustine: "Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men."
    Posted 8 months ago #
  62. sfsteves

sfsteves

Well Aged

Login to Send PM

9 months ago, zonomo said:
    "... the problem is that these politicians need
    something to do so they'll continue to pass laws
    that chip away at your freedom ... "

whether at the federal, state or local level, THAT is the precise problem ... no status quo is good enough ... they're eternally 'fixing' things, but have proven themselves to be incapable of spelling 'fix' with the correct vowel ...

SteveS
    de gustibus non est disputandum

"If there is no smoking in Heaven, I shall not go." - Mark Twain
    Posted 8 months ago #
  63. petes03

petes03

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I smoke my pipe on the beaches of Florida when we go there for vacation. I don't know if it's legal or not, but I've never been hassled about it. I have to agree about California, I could never live there! I have several friends and relatives who lived in California at one time, some for years, and all of them say that it is the most restrictive place in the country! I'm from Tennessee which was recently voted one of the top 5 freest states in the country, so for me to go to a state that is near the bottom of that list doesn't seem like something I'd want to do! Nothing against the people who live there, but I wouldn't set foot in that state of my own free will.

Posted 8 months ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   ae1pt, cosmicfolklore, pflan, anthonyrosenthal74, deathandtaxes, barleynbaccy, smokeybear, pitchfork, jguss, smorgdonkey, neverbend, leacha