PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

dlattim

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 27, 2012
I have just won this Hilson Viva. I'm thinking it is an older one but I'm not sure. I bought it because I like the looks and my research tells me Hilson's are good smokers. The bid price was right. Got it for $22.45 including shipping. The Ebay listing is here with more pics. Anybody have any more info on Hilson Viva pipes. I'm thinking I did pretty good on this one.

HilsonViva_zpsd3168137.jpg
[/url][/img]

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
dlattim, good job. Handsome pipe. Could you maybe post a Hilson pipe report once you've had some

time with it and tell us how it smokes, and what tobacco it "favors"? Forums members were wondering

on an earlier thread how these finished pipes, the briars, aged. Is this one light for its size?

dlattim

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 27, 2012
Will do mso. Thanks for the comments guys. I'll give a full report after I've given it a test run with several tobaccos.

dlattim

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 27, 2012
I received my Hilson Viva yesterday. The pipe is just as advertised. I cleaned and sanitized the pipe when I got home and let it sit for 24 hours. Tonight I filled it for the first time and had a near perfect smoke. I smoked Peterson Nutty Cut in the pipe, one of my favorite tobaccos. The pipe is very light and well balanced. It is well under two ounces. It is drilled perfectly and I cannot detect any flaws. She burned fairly cool and had a nice draw with no gurgle. I would certainly not hesitate to purchase another vintage Hilson. Thanks for all the comments guys.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
That is a great shape. I love the squashed shank. I have an Ashton Bulldog with a similar shank and find it very distinctive. I'm glad it turned out to be a good smoker and I wasn't surprised from what I've read about that brand.

Status
Not open for further replies.