PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

elpfeife

Lifer
Dec 25, 2013
starring Mickey Rooney as Huck and Rex Ingram as Jim. Those two do some serious pipesmoking in this movie. The instruments employed are cobs, of course. They look a lot like Old Dominion pipes. They smoke anywhere at anytime and if Huck gets a pipe confiscated he has a spare stuck in a pocket somewhere. When a schoolboy tries Huck's pipe and gets sick I chuckled to myself recalling a similar incident in my youth. It's a fun movie and worth watching just for the piping.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think I saw that version a long time ago. Rooney was a fine actor and did some of his best work before he was

thirty years old. If I remember this film, it went a little easy on the moral outrage Twain/Clemens actually felt on

behalf of Jim, as a movie of that time would have done, but it did illustrate that Jim was the only interested adult in

Huck's life who'd let him sleep when his shift steering the raft came around and who gave him heartfelt and effective

advice. Twain wrapped that tale in a lot of nostalgia that sold it to the public, but it is a powerful moral tale as well.

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
I love that movie. The book is still one of my favorites. I remember in school they almost banned that book because of profanity; funny to think that a book by an abolitionist effectively arguing against slavery would have been banned for racial slurs. I guess the school board must have never read it. Politics and political correctness... :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.