PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Just under an ounce a day.

That's how much tobacco I burn. I smoke about 7 or 8 bowls I guess, on average...and I've read that the average pipe which I am assuming is a group 4, requires approx. 3 grams of tobacco.

So, that computes to just under a half pound of tobacco a week, with some up-rounding.

Then we're looking at 52 weeks and 24 -26 lbs of tobacco in a year. This can't be right?!?

I'm so glad I've fallen in love with D&R blends. Best bulks on the market!

The return on investment of time, energy and money for tobacco is health related in my perspective.

Retired and on fixed income, these are considerations I must consider.
In the beginning, I spent more, probably on tobacco. I was buying tins, tubs, and bags of all sorts to learn my palate and the varietals. Even then, it was extremely therapeutic despite the 'initial' costs.

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
Where you used 3 grams per bowl, I use 130 bowls per pound for my calculations, but that still yields 8.1 bowls per ounce, so I think you're right on the money.
I love these sorts of calculations. I have a 'tobacco cellar' spreadsheet on my laptop which lists all my tobacco inventory, and I also keep a running tally of how many years' worth of tobacco I have, based on varying smoking rates.
I don't smoke nearly as much as you, Newbroom (I'm lucky to get one bowl per day), so I think of things relative to an average of 4 bowls per week.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I second your recommendation on Daughters & Ryan. They're over in the next county or two from me, address in Smithfield, N.C., location in Kenley nearby. Sometimes I think some financial restraint in the hobby focuses the selectivity in blends and can increase the enjoyment. I usually smoke a bowl a day, with days off for being busy, and recently a hiatus for a flu-like bug. Sure looking forward to that daily bowl.

patiobum

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 5, 2009
Baytown,Texas
Here is a pretty good weight amount scale :
1 pound = 453 grams

1 ounce = 28.3 grams

3 grams = 1 bowl

1 pound = 151 bowls

1 ounce = 28.3 bowls

5star

Nov 17, 2017
PacNW USA
I see I’m not the only one who makes such calculations.
I still like a good cigar, but was rather shocked at the cost difference compared to pipe tobacco when I first calculated that years ago. It’s not the prime reason I focus more on pipes today, but it is one reason I do so.

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
As a relative newcomer to "serious" pipe-smoking, I obsess about this math so I can plot out a tobacco and pipes budget to later ignore/violate/subvert. That 3 grams/bowl figure made me wonder, so I checked how much I'm actually packing in various pipes using an accurate scale.
Obviously, it really depends on what you smoke in what pipes, and how much moisture it contains. Some points of reference (+/- .2 grams): One fresh flake of LNF weighs 3.0 grams. 1 LBF = 1.8 g. 1 HH Bold Kentucky = 2.5 g. 3 grams of most average-moisture ribbon-cut blends is a big old pile of tobacco. I'm not rocking a bunch of giant freehands, so most my pipes aren't big enough to even fit that much tobacco. I don't smoke all that much flake because it's more expensive and I can't be fussing with it all the time, and I rarely fold and stuff when I do. So, for me, personally, 2-2.5 grams/bowl is a more accurate base unit. YMMVYMMVYMMV! That little disparity really adds up over time. In my case, it's a difference of a few pounds per year. I definitely get a hell of a lot more than 151 bowls out of a pound, more like 200.
Of course, inflating the value of the base unit has its advantages... Always best to err on the side of caution, buy "extra" tobacco, etc.

redglow

Lifer
Jan 7, 2019
Michigan
I average about 2 coins of LBF/day and 1 flake of LNF/day. Basically 2 bowls per day. (weekends more like 4 bowls/day)
At that rate, a 1.5 lb box of Peter Stokkebye will get me through quite a long period of time. But, as mentioned above, it's always wise to be overstocked.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I compute my tobacco usage like this.

3 grams a bowl at 5 bowls a day equals 15 grams per day. Multiple that by 365 days and you get 5475 grams per year. Divide that by 454 which is the grams per pound and I get 12.06 pounds per year that I am smoking.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Ok, Mr. Harris, now, compare the COSTS of 12 lbs. in tins and that of bags. Big difference, eh?

I'm not convinced that the difference is worth the premium price, but, that's what makes the world go 'round.

My income is FIXED, unless I start to play lottery, or poker for money, or find some on the sidewalk, so I try to keep to a budget that is within the fixed amount.

For some reason, after 5 yrs of pipe smoking, I now feel like there IS a future for me. Pipe smoking has almost been a life saver. (it's the stress, not the costs)

daniel7

Sep 11, 2018
Kópavogur, Iceland
Wow, I never calculated or even thought about my average consumption. Maybe because I have to calculate more than enough during my work. Pipe smoking is only about relaxation, I buy tobacco when I travel or worst case scenario I order online when I have only around 100g from the type I like.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
My average consumption is so low, I have plenty to last a long long time. That doesn't prevent me from reading about different blends though. It is an interesting exercise to see how many years worth of tobacco we have hoarded, sorry cellared, isn't it?

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Today I had my car(Lincoln)window power-motor and lifting mechanics replaced,(In Finland-Eu) this alone set me back for $250 (4h of job+spare parts) I'd have been much happier spending this amount on tobacco or had me a top-notch pipe,moreover I'm quite positive if this operation had been done in America,the cost for this repair woulda been half the price, depending on the location of course.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
I smoke about 2 bowls a day on average. 6 grams X 365 days is 2190 grams. Let's just call it 2200 grams. That equals 4.85 pounds. So I smoke about 5 pounds a year. That's not as much as I thought but still in the ballpark. My cellar is about 14 lbs So I should survive about 3 years..... I have some buying to do.
Newbroom- I prefer to purchase bulk as well. I finding way more economical and very similar to tinned versions. I have had a couple of instances where the bulk was not the same but those were only one offs. some blends that are not available in bulk I am still buy tinned but if avaabe in both formats I will usually go for the bulk version.

I've really been trying to cut back some. I popped a tin of aged Elizabethan mixture one morning a few weeks ago, and had finished it and was popping a new tin before bed; 10 to 12 a day. I can just smoke six pipes a day, but then I walk around wondering what to do with my mouth and hands... it's like standing naked in front of people. I've been thinking about getting a yo yo or taking up juggling for those socially awkward moments, which is fine... except for when I am driving. Driving a juggling gets tricky. :puffy:
Then the notion strikes me six times is merely cutting my smoking and tobacco consumption in half... is that really worth it? phhhht

Status
Not open for further replies.