PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigboi

Lifer
Nov 12, 2012
I have to say I really enjoyed that method. A lot easier for me to smoke. And the flavors of my Navy Flake smoked in my Stanwell Royal Danish were very present. I quite enjoyed it very much.

bigboi

Lifer
Nov 12, 2012
I will definitely be using that method more often. Now just to get my hands on some more darn Flakes! Just got to get the boss (my wife) let me buy some more tobacco! :lol:

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
Big if your in the US, PM me your address. I'll be glad to send you some samples.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Go to any online vendor and use the search box for "flake". There are scores of them available.

The "cube cut" is something you do by cutting the flake across the grain with scissors.
Thanks to member, bentmike, who popularized it here, I think we're all enjoying our flakes this way;

though in truth, Bob Tate, aka python, mentioned it in a video a long time ago.

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
I am presently smoking some Old Dark Fired in a cheapo Canadian basket pipe, one of my best smokers. I used the cube cut method with the cubes dried to to a almost crunchy consistency. I gravity loaded the pipe and tamp down the ash very lightly. This method is fool-proof and the results are amazing!

I thank this forum for all the improvements to my technique! :puffy:

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
flyguy, I am with you on the ODF. I smoked it as my last bowl of the night last night and it was damn tasty.
My enjoyment of my flakes has gone up dramatically since I began the cube cut method. I used to tear my flakes into smaller chunks which worked well for years but the burn I got was not as consistent. When I used the fold and stuff, sometimes it worked great, sometimes it did not. I can now pack my bowl tighter and the flavors are more pronounced. I used to have to pack it loser with the smaller chunks. One thing I never did was fully rub out my flakes, to me it seemed like I was defeating the purpose of buying a flake. I tried it once and it burned up quickly and it smoked hot, not cool like a flake is supposed to.

One thing I have also noticed is that when I smoke SG FVF I cut the cubes smaller than any of my other blends and I get a better burn this way. That stuff can be fire retardant for some reason. It doesn't burn like their Best Brown or St James flakes, which I find kind of weird.

bigboi

Lifer
Nov 12, 2012
That is basically what I am currently doing with my navy flake. With some very good results. I am enjoying it very much!

cedeks

Might Stick Around
Nov 16, 2012
Bigboi ... navy flakes are the best no matter how you prepare or smoke them :)

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
I showed this picture earlier, but this will all be cube cut. I tried each method and this by far burns nicer and the flavor stays constant with maybe one very light tap.

T8TyQNl.jpg

Craig

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
I have tried the navy rolls and escudo with rubbing, folding and finally cube cut.
Cube cut ranks the best for me.
Allan

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
With cubes I get the most consistent burn, least relights and best flavor no matter what flake I'm smoking. Preparation is a piece of cake even if I don't have scissors handy. A pocket knife and the tin lid as a cutting board works just as easy.
I've been cubing up some Navy Flake recently and it is good stuff. I find I really like the pressed Virginia-Burley-Cavendish blends.

dottle

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 1, 2012
I again tried the cube cut with LNF ,and to me it seems to burn a little on the hot side. I been waiting on some aged LNF that a member was suppose to send me, if it comes, Ill try the cube method with it and see if

i have better luck. But for now the fold and stuff still serves me best..

martiniman

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 6, 2012
When you cube cut it how large are the cubes?

do you cut every 1/4 inch, 1/16 inch?

Status
Not open for further replies.