Pipes Magazine » General Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Just Thought I'd Show Off My Latest Watch Purchase.

(44 posts)
  • Started 9 months ago by mawnansmiff
  • Latest reply from mawnansmiff
  1. mawnansmiff

mawnansmiff

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Having not bought any tobacco recently after my latest health scare my bank balance has thanked me for this by rising in exact proportion.

Browsing the interweb I stumbled upon a 2003 Omega Speedmaster Triple Date automatic chronograph. It was in mint condition, came with original box and all paperwork and the price was just right so a phonecall was made, a little haggling and the deal done there and then.

The next day a huge package arrived by special delivery (it had travelled pretty much the full length of England in a matter of 17 hours.....pretty remarkable for Royal Mail!

Below is what was inside (the last image is a generic picture to clearly show the dial)......

Its specifics are Model 3523:80 and Caliber 1151 which is based on the aged but bulletproof Valjoux/ETA 7751.

It displays the day and month in separate windows at 12 o'clock and the date via a hand with a crescent shaped tip which points to the date on the outer perimeter of the dial. Obviously it has a stopwatch and this is simply started and stopped by the upper pusher and reset by the lower pusher. Both pushers require a fair bit of pressure to activate but this is a good thing in my mind. What I love to see is the instantaneous snap back of the hands upon pressing the reset button.....quicker than the blink of an eye!

The running seconds is in the sub dial at 9 o'clock, this also has an AM/PM indicator. This watch has no fewer than eight hands!

As for timekeeping, I really am rather chuffed. It gains roughly 5 1/2 seconds in 24 hours which is well within COSC standards despite the piece not being COSC certified. There are 86,400 seconds in a day so being five and a half out is no problem to me.

The only downside (there had to be one) is that at 39mm diameter (excluding the crown) it can be a little difficult to read the smaller sub dials but then my eyesight is far from perfect. Most of my other watches are 40mm to 42mm which I much prefer.

Regards,

Jay.

EDIT: Bugger, the pictures didn't show

...take up thy stethoscope and walk...
    Posted 9 months ago #
  2. cortezattic

Cortez

A part of the problem since he ...

Login to Send PM

This?

I find myself sitting idly on the line dividing past and future,
    as if I could kill time without injuring eternity. -- Thoreau
    Posted 9 months ago #
  3. tbradsim1

tbradsim1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That’s a beautiful timepiece, Glad for you.

The Old Cajun
    Posted 9 months ago #
  4. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Very cool! I know that you had been mulling over one like this for a while. I'm glad you got it. It is a fine piece of engineering.

Michael
    Posted 9 months ago #
  5. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Glad you got that beauty!

Dunno what you done did dere, Jay. I collect the images URL from the image itself.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 9 months ago #
  6. ricebiscuit

ricebiscuit

Login to Send PM

I absolutely love speedmasters with my favorite being a Speedmaster professional moonwatch.

Congrats on the new watch!

Posted 9 months ago #
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Shoulda bought a Rolex Day Date. Mine gains 1 sec a month. If you want a big watch, Ernst Benz does the trick. Most use the same movement.

Posted 9 months ago #
  8. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Most impressive. I have to stick with one set of hands, for those 3 a.m. time checks, so I don't have to think about it. But that is an inspiring wristwatch.

Posted 9 months ago #
  9. tbradsim1

tbradsim1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Been having this one for 30 yrs.

Posted 9 months ago #
  10. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

brad', great 3 a.m. watch.

Posted 9 months ago #
  11. mawnansmiff

mawnansmiff

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks Cortez and John for sorting my images. I now think I know where I went wrong.

Michael, the watch I've been hankering after for some while is the Omega Seamaster Chronometer with the lovely co-axial movement. I need to save a lot more tobacco money afore I can add one of those to the collection. That watch would have to be bought new.....just because

Regards,

Julian.

John, I like your new tagline

Posted 9 months ago #
  12. jvnshr

jvnshr

Mod

Login to Send PM

Fixed the links, Jay. Nice watch by the way.

Javan
    Posted 9 months ago #
  13. bluto

bluto

Login to Send PM

I'm an analog guy , stuck in a digital world

Auto winder , Built like a brick shit house

“listen: there’s a hell
    of a good universe next door; let’s go”
    Posted 9 months ago #
  14. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Jay:Congrats on Your new achievement,I have both Auto winding Eterna-Matic Kontiki and Atlantic there's only one thing I don't care much about,is their average weight, but You get used to this eventually.

Paul The Scandinavian'
    Posted 9 months ago #
  15. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Bluto I had almost that same watch, just the tank commander one.

Jay, beautiful looking watch!

Posted 9 months ago #
  16. bluto

bluto

Login to Send PM

The amphia is the waterproof version , I wanted a wind up watch rather than electric and there's not much out there , the Russians seemed to have kept up the tradition and did a good job.

Posted 9 months ago #
  17. User has not uploaded an avatar

piper64

Login to Send PM

Jay that's a beautiful timepiece. Good health to you.

Faugh a Ballagh
    Posted 9 months ago #
  18. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Whoa, gorgeous! Puts my old self-wind Rolex in the shade.

Head Black Frigate keelhauler, boss powder monkey, & troublemaker 1st class.
    Posted 9 months ago #
  19. mawnansmiff

mawnansmiff

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Many thanks Javan for sorting my pictures. I'll try posting another tomorrow now I think I know where I went wrong.

Hagley, "Shoulda bought a Rolex Day Date. Mine gains 1 sec a month." All well and good chum, alas Rolex are more brand than watch.....pretty much like Dunghill pipes....vastly overpriced for what you get. Don't get me wrong, they make fine timepieces but their prices are way overblown for what you get.

The Ernst Benz Chronolunar chronograph you mention is certainly a smart looking watch (I love full Arabic numerals but at 47mm diameter is ridiculous) but way way expensive for an 1151 movement chrono.

Bluto, would that be a Poljot watch by any chance?

Regards,

Jay.

Posted 9 months ago #
  20. bluto

bluto

Login to Send PM

Vostok (Bostok) Amphibia Komandirskie

Military diver

Posted 9 months ago #
  21. npod

npod

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Wonderful pick up Jay! My Omega Sea Master says hello. I'm wearing it now. My other PAD is WAD.

Neal
    Posted 9 months ago #
  22. ophiuchus

ophiuchus

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That's a gorgeous instument, Jay. You chose well.

Posted 9 months ago #
  23. artificialme

artificialme

Login to Send PM

I'm an analog guy , stuck in a digital world

Wow, boctok (vostok) komandirskie? nice watch. I have two of them!

Adhie was here
    Posted 9 months ago #
  24. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Lovely watch, Jay. Enjoy the heck out of it

Arrrrr, shiver me timbers! International Talk Like a Pirate Day is September the 19th!!!
    Brothers Of The Black Frigate
    Posted 9 months ago #
  25. lasttango

lasttango

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Very nice Jay!

A man that hoards up riches and enjoys them not, is like an ass that carries gold and eats thistles.
    -Richard Burton
    Posted 9 months ago #
  26. mawnansmiff

mawnansmiff

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Very sharp looking Seamaster you have there Neal. Though I'm no fan of gold (mind I do have a few rolled gold pocket watches) that ripple effect on your dial looks rather smart. Plus it's the co-axial version too.....nice.

My next watch is likely to be a Certina DS-2 Chronograph. Though a quartz watch, it's no ordinary quartz watch as it is one of these new fangled Thermo-Compensated HAQ (High Accuracy Quartz) movements made by ETA. Allegedly accurate to within 10 seconds per year! Pretty phenomenal in my book.

I shall now attempt to upload a picture properly this time...

Regards,

Jay.

EDIT: As expected my image failed again. For some reason I can only get a URL from the thumbnail in 'My Album' and not from the image itself. Oh how I hate Windows 10

Edit: fixed image/Al

Posted 9 months ago #
  27. scloyd

scloyd

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Wow! Very nice watch Jay.

Here's mine. A gift from my 4 year old grandson...he picked it out special for his Papa. Imitation leather band, Japan movement and stainless steel back. My daughter said he had a difficult time picking one out...they have so many watches at Walmart.

I try to remember to wear it every time I see him. He gets a big smile on his face when he notices me wearing it. It's special to me and I will never part with it.

Posted 9 months ago #
  28. mawnansmiff

mawnansmiff

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Scott, Walmart watch or some fancy boutique watch, with a story like that it's a watch to treasure.

Regards,

Jay.

Posted 9 months ago #
  29. npod

npod

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Though I'm no fan of gold

That’s steel. It just looks fancy because it’s next to my pocket square and fountain pen.

Posted 9 months ago #
  30. didache

didache

Login to Send PM

Lovely watch Jay. I am glad you are feeling more your old self too.

For myself, I wear my Tag almost exclusively - there is something about a first class watch which makes the heart sing a little bit.

Mike

"Pipe-smokers spend so much time cleaning, filling and fooling with their pipes, they don't have time to get into mischief." - Bill Vaughan
    Posted 9 months ago #
  31. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

As expected my image failed again. For some reason I can only get a URL from the thumbnail in 'My Album' and not from the image itself. Oh how I hate Windows 10

Right click on the image .... open image in new tab.... copy that URL and then paste using the IMG button here.

Posted 9 months ago #
  32. mawnansmiff

mawnansmiff

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Anthony, I followed your instructions to the letter but upon doing so when I right click on the new tab picture I only get these options...

1/ Ask Cortana about this picture.

2/ Save picture as.

3/ Save picture.

4/ Select all.

5/ Copy.

....I get no URL option.

This is most frustrating....it never used to be like this.

Regards,

Jay.

Posted 9 months ago #
  33. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

Try using another browser Jay.

Al

Posted 9 months ago #
  34. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

Great looking Seamaster, a real classic!

I bought a Swiss-made Accutron chronograph 17 years ago, and chose one where I could read the sub-dials and used it for restaurant service timing. Fast-forward to 2018 and I can no longer see those sub dials without reading glasses....

Posted 9 months ago #
  35. mawnansmiff

mawnansmiff

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Al, I much appreciate your help here I really do. However when I asked Google if Firefox came included with Windows 10 I got the scary message below....

'Microsoft is testing a warning for Windows 10 users not to install Chrome or Firefox. The software giant is in the final stages of testing its Windows 10 October 2018 Update, and testers have spotted a new change that appears when you try to install a rival web browser. “You already have Microsoft Edge – the safer, faster browser for Windows 10” says a prompt that appears when you run the Chrome or Firefox installers on the latest Windows 10 October 2018 Update.'

This post was made 12 September 2018 BTW.

I'm not as computer savvy as I would like to be but as I was about to download Firefox (as I had on my old Vista PC) I spied the above warning. What am I to do? Is not Pipesmagazine.com not up to date with the ever quickening technology?

I know Microsoft do their jolly best to deter folks from going elsewhere but this sounds pretty serious.....if true.....to me.

Regards,

Jay.

Posted 9 months ago #
  36. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That's just weird. I use Google Chrome with Windows 10 and have never had any issues. I suppose you could try uninstalling and re-installing Windows 10? I'd be frustrated if I couldn't so much as post a photo. Hope you can get it all worked out, Jay.

Posted 9 months ago #
  37. mawnansmiff

mawnansmiff

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Right then, through gritted teeth and not without worry I just downloaded Firefox.

I now do see the full list of options when I click on an image in 'My Album' and as Anthony said, the URL (or rather 'Copy Image Location' is now showing whereas it wasn't when using Microsoft Edge browser.....so as a tester I will now try it out..

Fingers crossed my image will now show...

Regards,

Jay.

EUREKA....it worked! Thanks Al and Anthony, I now have things working as they should

Interestingly or rather worryingly when I simply typed 'Firefox' into Google using Microsoft Edge as my browser the first thing that showed was a warning from Microsoft reading..

"Microsoft Edge is the faster, safer browser on Windows 10 and it is already installed on your PC"

....this is really awful behaviour from Microsoft.

Posted 9 months ago #
  38. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

Good news and yep, they really push you to their software. I've never tried Edge, it could be great. I have used Firefox and Chrome. Chrome has some peculiarities like you just faced, so I went back to Firefox. Unfortunatley, it is a rock-strewn path...

Posted 9 months ago #
  39. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

EUREKA....it worked! Thanks Al and Anthony, I now have things working as they should
    And a great big "Yeeeeeeeeehaaaaawwww!" straight from Texas! Yep... I just yeehawd. I'm glad you finally were able to get photos working on your end.

Posted 9 months ago #
  40. mawnansmiff

mawnansmiff

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Anthony, I'm pretty sure I heard your "Yeeeeeeeeehaaaaawwww" coming from Texas. Of course that could have been the sound of the crowd at the F1 Grand Prix in Austen as Raikkonen took the win over Hamilton

Regards,

Jay.

Posted 9 months ago #
  41. npod

npod

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

For the Brits (Jay)

Posted 9 months ago #
  42. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

as Raikkonen took the win over Hamilton

I suspect there's a small crowd here that knows what that even means!

Posted 9 months ago #
  43. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

[quote]Anthony, I'm pretty sure I heard your "Yeeeeeeeeehaaaaawwww" coming from Texas. Of course that could have been the sound of the crowd at the F1 Grand Prix in Austen as Raikkonen took the win over Hamilton

Posted 9 months ago #
  44. mawnansmiff

mawnansmiff

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Speedmaster Update.

When I initially took delivery of this watch I was pretty impressed with its time keeping qualities, running at ~5.5 seconds fast over 24 hours. After experimenting with which position I leave the watch when taken off for bed I've found that leaving the watch crown down overnight returns a phenomenal half second deviation in 24 hours.

To say I'm impressed would be a gross understatement....that really is remarkable accuracy for a mechanical watch.

Regards,

Jay.

Posted 9 months ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   jojoc, chasingembers, craig61a, donjgiles, mindglue, jfred, jabomano, oldgeezersmoker, mikethompson, greeneyes