PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lee05

Lurker
Jun 21, 2016
Scotland
Alright everyone! I just started pipe smoking a few days ago and i have a few questions :)
1)The taste, I've only tried 1 tobacco, an aromatic and i honestly cant really taste anything. Just ash and smoke i guess any tips?
2)I only have 1 pipe (Only smoked aromatics from it) should i invest in another pipe for English blends or get a really cheap one to try it out
3) I use matches to light my pipe but could i just use an ordinary lighter or would that damage the bowl/pipe
thanks alot for any reply's!
Happy smoking.

foolwiththefez

Can't Leave
Sep 22, 2015
Sunny FL
Knowing What blend and what pipe will help diagnose the problem. Is your pipe briar? If so, is it broken in (does it have a layer of carbonized tobacco ash protecting the bowl)? If is not broken in it is going to taste bad for a few bowls at least. Briar just takes some time.
Most likely, you need to slow down. You should be sipping your pipe. I find the best way to do this is to clamp the pipe in your mouth and breath in and out through your nose with your mouth closed. Every so often, let out a puff of smoke from your mouth and draw a small sip from the pipe. You'll soon get the hang of it.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Aromatics rarely have quite as much flavor as you'd think from the smell. Similarly, Virginias take a while to get the hang of, even for somewhat more experienced smokers. For new smokers, I always recommend some kind of English blend to start out -- even if your smoking technique isn't great, you'll still get plenty of flavor from English blends (i.e., blends with Orientals and Latakia in them).

foolwiththefez

Can't Leave
Sep 22, 2015
Sunny FL
Pitchfork makes a good point. Pick up some Frog Morton or Nightcap and you'll be sure to get plenty of flavor. Beware, Latakia (the tobacco most people think of when they say English blend) is a very distinct taste. To me it is very leathery and campfire-like.

foolwiththefez

Can't Leave
Sep 22, 2015
Sunny FL
Also, maybe a Missiouri Meerschaum Corncob pipe. You can get one for $8-20 depending on style and where you buy it. They don't need to be broken in the same way as briar, so you can focus on your technique. They smoke great (eliminating the fear that you smoke poorly because you have a cheap pipe). And they're American made.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
True. You may not like Latakia that much (I'm not a big fan), but at least you'll taste something for your efforts. And, you won't be tempted to puff too fast, which will save you from burning your tongue. (Been there, done that.)

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
1. Taste: As you perfect your packing technique and your pace of smoking the flavors will become more evident. Also it takes awhile for your palate to become "trained" to pick up the nuances of flavors. I'm a year in and still finding ways to improve my experience. Sometimes it is helpful to have something to drink as you smoke as well.
2. Number of pipes: I decided to buy a bunch of cobs, they're inexpensive, come in a variety of shapes, and smoke beautifully. I have certain pipes for aromatics, VaPers, Englishes, and so on. I remove the filters so I have a more open draw. On the other hand my dad smoked one pipe all day every day and it worked for him. Just use pipe cleaners after every smoke to remove any moisture and let the pipe have a chance to dry out.
3. Matches: Matches are fine, I prefer to use a butane lighter; just keep the flame away from the rim of your pipe and draw the flame/heat down to your tobacco.

jaq6q

Might Stick Around
Jul 5, 2015
Hello there!
1) A. I also cannot taste anything from Aromatics except 1Q. As you know, Aromatics are designed to please other non-smokers. Therefore, trying other types of blend like Early Morning Pipe, Luxury Navy Flake, Virginia No. 1, Carter Hall, etc can help.
B. You may taste something by trying other types of blends. But if that is not the case, it may be because of skills. I believe that that wonderful taste comes from proper packing, lighting, and puffing. Therefore, taste may not even be there not because of the blend itself but because of the techniques. And honing to techniques is the most challenging part. I am still struggling to find the right "fit". So be patient and the reward will be big. :D
2) Having several pipes is always a good idea. And I also think that MM Corn Cobs are hard to beat in terms of price and performance. I recommend you to get several cobs. Not only they are great smokers, they will help you to correct bad habits like accidentally charring the rim.
And about investing in another pipe for other blends, some people do not mind smoking other types of blends in one pipe. I am one of those people. And you may be too. Try smoking other blends in Aromatic pipe and see how you do.
3) Some pipe use BIC, Zippo, etc. I use matches because the fire from matches have the coolest temperature. I think it contributes somewhat to cooler smoking. (BUT, with proper techniques, cool smoking can be attainable without the matches) On the other hand, lighters like Zippo are definitely more convenient and wind-resistant.
BUT... use whatever suits you best!

travelergypsy

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 15, 2016
I honestly don't like Aromatics. They always taste like I'm smoking a bowl of chemicals. The first flavor I was able to get was from English blends. Now I smoke mostly Virginia's. And mostly from MM cobs. (I do have two briars in my rotation.)

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Indeed, welcome, all, and hope you enjoy both the forum and your smokes.
Any flame source, short of an acetylene torch, can softly light a pipe if used properly. Distance from the flame tip is critical. (You want more distance, generally!)

tmb152

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2016
Alright everyone! I just started pipe smoking a few days ago and i have a few questions
Funny how the world has changed under our noses. Kind of a side-commentary and I apologize for my soapbox, I started smoking a pipe over 43 years ago and not until a month ago did I ever think of joining any kind of a pipe social group to share discussions, I mean, pipes are a simple thing that you just do, now today lots of people join a group immediately as an essential part of the hobby. I guess in the old days when there wasn't any group to join other than maybe a local group of friends, you just relied on yourself and others you knew to find answers and solve problems, now, not only do people tend to not even try to find their own answers first, just ask someone else to give it to them, a lot of them EXPECT they are owed an immediate answer rather than think for themself! Not really a comment on anyone here, just an observation I've made of the public in general and general problem-solving ability these days as I deal with the public a lot. The slow decimation of our culture by the creation of the "smartphone," and perhaps, the increased social isolation of people today to have less and less free time to find and make real relationships. First technology is touted as a useful tool to help us until it eventually becomes a crutch of dependency. Sorry for the OT rant.

lee05

Lurker
Jun 21, 2016
Scotland
I know where your coming from tmb152. Not one of my friends or family smoke a pipe though so im kind of going into this alone, I seen this forum and it looked good to get some tips from to make pipe smoking a better experience for myself!

tmb152

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2016
This is a great forum. Lots of good and varied opinions and advice. Lots of very experienced and knowledgeable people. Take what you learn here as a guide with a grain of salt, then go out and do your own homework, experiments and exploring to find what works best for you. It may or may not be similar to what others think.
You need a few pipes. Basically, 3 for the three major types of blends, Virginian or bright tobaccos that have sweetness, maybe a smaller bowl for English or Balkan blends with spice, oriental leaf, etc., and a third for the flavored aromatics. That way, the colorations of one type do not impinge on the other. You may like all three or gravitate to only one.
From there you can explore different pipes and tobaccos and in time you will find what works best for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.