PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

medicfox

Lurker
Jan 15, 2017
[*] Hello I've been lurking the forum's reading and taking in information and finally made an account. I'm thinking about purchasing my first pipe and want some opinions on my choice. Here is the piece https://m.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/savinelli/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=225491

medicfox

Lurker
Jan 15, 2017
Appreciate it and does seem to be a dependable brand. I cannot wait for it to darken and petina with use. Any recommendations on some tobacco? I usually like something mild and sweet.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
Too many options out there for me to know where to begin. Browse some of the blends you're considering on tobaccoreviews.com
Trust JimInks, his reviews are thorough, professional and reliable, however the only one who could know if you like a blend is you.
The best part of pipe smoking is the endless journey sampling the myriad of options out there.
What are you currently smoking and enjoying?

medicfox

Lurker
Jan 15, 2017
Dunhill Nightcap is the only thing I've tried so far luckily there is a Tobacconist close to me the has quite the selection so I'll venture out one weekend and sample some local blends and some prestigious brands as well.
What are you currently puffing on?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Lovely pipe! If you've never smoked anything before, I would suggest Carter Hall. Mild, sweet, and nutty. Plus it's very forgiving.
002-033-28511.jpg

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Very welcome! SPC seems to be out of Carter Hall pouches at the moment, but P&C has it in stock. Both tubs and pouches.
http://www.pipesandcigars.com/pipe-tobacco/72859/carter-hall/

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
I usually have about 4 tins open to choose from, including a Burley, an English an Aromatic and then something I'm experimenting with.
I personally don't smoke a lot of straight Virginias and VaPers as I haven't developed a taste for them yet. However my current favorites do change from time to time. A current new favorite is Royal Challenge by Sutliff, as it has just enough sweetness to keep me entertained without being sickly sweet.

medicfox

Lurker
Jan 15, 2017
Chasingembers thanks for the link bud,Royal Challenge sounds delicious perfect for my pallet for sure.

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
Cant go wrong with that Savinelli, like @embers said get some Carter Hall, try some Royal Challenge and Im sure you will like Dunhill Early Morning Pipe

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
That is a good brand and a great place to jump off into pipe smoking. I had a single Italian briar and cobs for many years. Like that pipe.

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
That's a lovely pipe and the price seems right. If you keep very simple notes for yourself on what you like/dislike about each blend you try you will probably see your preferences show up pretty quick.

lasttango

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2012
Wilmington, De / Ithaca, NY
Yeah! So many options, so many good pipes. It looks like you picked a winner. I love bent pots! Pots make smoking many tobaccos easier in my experience.
I've read it here many times... Go with a pipe that you are excited about smoking. It probably won't be your first! Also, grab some cobs! Cobs smoke great!
I just grabbed my 34th pipe yesterday - a Neerup bent pot with a crazy looking stem... around $100.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have the same shape 122 in a similar somewhat up-market series, Aurelia, and I highly recommend it. It is light weight, easy to clench, and has a broad diameter bowl perfect for more complex blends, three or more tobaccos, English, Balkans, and others. These pipes give the lie to the idea that pot shape pipes lack style. The smooth finish is elegant, and the slightly bent stem gives it a sophisticated air. Yet it still has that down-to-earth pot simplicity. Great pipe.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
What better tobacco to break in your Savinelli pipe with than Savinelli Cavendish. Sweet and delicious, mild but with some true tobacco flavor. You won't be disappointed. Will cost a couple bucks more than some gooey, steamy, hot-burning American aromatic, but worth it.

medicfox

Lurker
Jan 15, 2017
Thanks for the kind and informing words.One thing that confuses me is the filter? Can someone explain the difference with and without?

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
With-does reduce moisture, but can't pass a pipe cleaner.
Without-more open draw, allows easy cleaning with pipe cleaner without having to disassemble the pipe.
Your Savinelli should come with an adapter to take the place of the filter, but even the adapter is not neccesary to enjoy your pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.