Just pulled the trigger on another Dunhill Tonight !

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajundad

Can't Leave
Nov 1, 2012
Louisiana
Smoking pipes for 5 years . Had the same curiosity with Dunhill , as described by many other Forum members . I bought a 62 , and 54 shell briar . Loved they way they smoke so much Ive bought 3 more , the most recent is the only post 1967 .

http://m278.photobucket.com/albumview/albums/bigdaddyandoldskool/Snapbucket/FE63F010.jpg.html?o=0It is all a matter of personal preference and taste in the end . But Like Kevin said on another thread , if you can afford it , get one . If it puts you short on bills Don't . Good luck to all of our fine forum members with all of their endeavors during this new year ! :puffy:

cajundad

Can't Leave
Nov 1, 2012
Louisiana
Yes it is rothnh . About 6 1/8" long,  1 1/4" bowl height,  13/16" bore diameter and 1" chamber depth.    Weight is 1.06 oz. or 30 grams.

I tend to go for class 3 pipes , due to the fact , I don't have lots of time to smoke most days .

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Is that a Cumberland or Country model? It is lovely, no one does a Prince like Dunhill. Their Cumberland (nee Brindle) stems really are something special.

cajundad

Can't Leave
Nov 1, 2012
Louisiana
@ Kevin , thanks . @ Al yes it's a Dunhill Cumberland Prince , and yes those stems are beautiful . @ TopD , I am becoming a nut over British pipes ( older ones ) . Dunhill , Charatan , Ashton , Ferndown , to name a few . I will have to build a bigger shop soon just to accommodate my pipes . I have a lot of Italian , and Danish pipes as well . I need some tips on some good quality North American Artisian pipes to look for now .

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
cajundad, nice looking Dunhill. I am a big fan of the Cumberland stems as well. If you are looking to delve into the American artisan market I recommend you look at Rad Davis first. I now own pipes from the following American guys, Rad Davis, Jody Davis, Brian Ruthenberg, Bruce Weaver, Mike Butera, Scott Thile and Steve Morrissete. I own 11 pipes from Rad and one each from the others. I own the following British made pipes.
3 Lane Era Charatans

2 Upshalls

2 Willmers

2 Ferndowns

1 Dunhill

1 Dunhill made Astley

1 Ashton
I can state unequivocally that everyone of my American artisan pipes, smoke better than my British made ones. Now don't get me wrong, I do enjoy my British pipes, but I consider them second tier in my collection. The differences in the artisan pipes is that they never need a pipe cleaner, everyone has a more comfortable stem, they are lighter even with the same bowl size, they smoke my favorite blends better and I reach for them much much more. Before I smoked my first Rad Davis pipe I was very happy with my British made ones, but once I smoked that first Rad, I have not bought another pipe that was not an American artisan made one. I believe if you try one you will see the difference right away. It was bigvan who convinced me there is a difference and it took me some time before I finally pulled the trigger. I am very thankful I did. I have never enjoyed pipe smoking more than I do now.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
roth, I totally agree, everyone's tastes are so different that people need to find what works best for them. I remember years ago when I was totally into Italian pipes like Castello, Radice, Ser Jacobo, Viprati and Caminetto. Back then I though they were the best smoking pipes. Then I tried my first Former and began buying danish pipes from Winslow, Renier Barbi, Kurt Balleby, Peter Matzhold and more Formers. Fast forward to this past June and I started on a British collecting spree and enjoyed those pipes. Then in August I got my first Rad and now I love my American artisan pipes. I think we all go through stages along this journey and we develop tastes and find pipes that fit those tastes. There is never any right or wrong to any of this, just what gives the individual pleasure. Taste is so subjective that what I may love, someone else may hate, all we can do is share our experiences and then people have to decide for themselves what they like.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
roth, one of the most popular blends is Penzance and you couldn't pay me to smoke it. The journey is what is so much fun about this hobby, I don't even want to think about how many pipes I would have if I did not cull my collection a few times. The Castello and Radice stage was really an interesting one. It was in the beginning and the Euro had just come on the market and it was at .88 to a dollar. I had this source in Italy called Agide pipes and he was giving away Castello's and Radice's. I don't remember how many I bought but it must have been 15-20 and I thought there could never be pipes that smoked any better. I look back and it was a blast getting those in and they did smoke great for the blends I was smoking back then. Now the thought of buying a pipe with an acrylic stem is abhorrent to me, the journey continues.

cajundad

Can't Leave
Nov 1, 2012
Louisiana
Awesome Harris , thanks for the list . I will get a Rad Davis next . I've heard nothing but good about his work . I'm also interested on how you get away without using the pipe cleaners , or the reason rather . Very interesting .

Status
Not open for further replies.