PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

eightywon

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 4, 2014
Not much of a review guy, my sophisticated palate ranges in flavors from about all of 4 profiles: sweet, smokey, peppery and nutty. I did pick up a journal to keep records and reviews for myself though. I was thinking about lettering the pages every 5 pages or so to keep it alphabetical. My scale will be based on 4 because it will force me to be on one side of the fence or the other. I think a 5 scale would be too easy to call something a 3, and 10 is just too many numbers.

Haven't written anything down yet, was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions to keep in mind when I start.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If you can keep a steady log of your pipe activities, that could be enjoyable. I make notes on my calendar,

what tobaccos sound good to buy, etc., but keeping an actual log might be too much like work for me.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Alternately you could always do a 'Jack the Ripper Journal' or a 'Hitler Diary' as they seem to be rather popular with owners of leather journals and the National Enquirer!

eightywon

Apr 4, 2014
Something I've thought about for a long time, but sitting here now, it does seem a little laborious. I do keep a 3"x5" spiral notepad next to my spot where I list things like what to reorder and wish lists and other random thoughts. Maybe I will go the National Enquirer route. Or maybe I'll just toss it in the junk drawer. I guess only time will tell.

As far as the vintage fountain pen, I've always wanted a fancy pen. I sign lots of scraps of paper at work, how practical are those pens for keeping in a pocket?

wilson

Apr 17, 2013
I like the idea of a journal, but know that I lack the discipline. I should keep notes on pipe tobacco, cigars, wine, and my garden, but don't. I am intimidated by anything bound, because it is permanent, in addition to the aforementioned discipline problems.

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
I have a leather bound journal I use as my flight manual for Flight Simulator and love it. Adds more class than a spiral bound notebook you get from the toys aisle down at the grocery store. As far as fountain pens, growing up in English school, we were required to use fountain pens, and really are the only pen one should use in a leather bound journal. You'll see why once you learn how to use the damn thing; it takes a bit of practice.
They work just fine in a pocket. Just understand, at at least one point in your fountain pen experience, you'll have an unintended inking incidence.

redbeard

Jan 2, 2013
I think it's a great idea! I have been keeping a journal on a notepad app on the iPad and have been wanting to transfer everything over into a paper journal. One thing that I want to do first however is use a fountain pen and learn some nice writing techniques first. Also I want to find a nice journal for it. I like the idea of a leather bound book, have a pic of yours? And good luck, it should be a fun experience looking back at all of your past experiences again if you have them.

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
Don't use crayons. I used them ..........until I got hungry.
I've thought about a journal but I'm too lazy or drunk generally so I just keep puffing.......if I did journal I would model it after tobaccoreviews.com
LMAO haha +1
I was thinking of starting a tobacco journal but i am also too dam lazy to do it. plus crayons are too tasty.

eightywon

Apr 4, 2014
The journal is nothing to write home to mom in, $10 at Staples. Added some 'accessories' to liven up the pics.

image61-600x450.jpg

image62-600x450.jpg

As far as technique, my penmanship hasn't changed since the 1st grade, including the use of crayons. Paste is another story...

Maybe I should shy away from the use of pens as my style of writing may be a disgrace to the sport.

maxpeters

Can't Leave
Jan 4, 2010
I used to have a signed copy of Richard Hacker's The Ultimate Pipe Book that I picked up in a Tinder Box store. I kept notes on all the blends that I had tried during the early 90's. I remember that I had notes on over 200 blends. Somehow I misplaced it during a move.

If any of you ever come across it, please let me know. It would be interesting to see what my palate told me back then.

natibo

Nov 10, 2013
Cincinnati, OH USA
I was thinking the best way to keep track of tobaccos I smoke is just to poet a review on tobaccoreviews.com. You have a good record of it and can search it later.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
I carry a journal every where cause I forget everything. It's a Apica book and I use a Lamy safari fountain pen with green ink.

CherokeeBilly

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 31, 2014
Granbury, TX
I make custom leather journal covers, bible covers, bookmarks etc I need to put together a smoking journal and see how it turns out. I could probably trade for some pipes and baccy if there's any interest.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If you want a really upscale leather bound journal, try Charing Cross. They cost a little bit, but no more than

a few tins of quality tobacco. Though for Forums members, maybe that's the wrong thing to say.

zitotczito

Lifer
Aug 12, 2014
When I started with cigars I did a journal, just got too big and I lost interest. Now I just go cooler diving and surprise myself with something I long forgot about.
The same would be with this new hobbie, I put the stock on tobaccocellar and that is about as far as I will go, at least I know what I have, a big step forward for me. I look forward to rummaging through tins and jars for what I want.
I wish you well on the endeavor, wish I had the patience but alas I do not.

Mar 1, 2014
Definitely get a fountain pen if you're writing on paper.

For as long as I can remember I've been frustrated with the inconsistency of ball point pens, so much so that in the middle of college I switched to extra fine tipped felt markers.

Then I found FPN (http://www.fountainpennetwork.com) and it was all downhill from there.

My latest acquisition is a Pilot Vanishing Point, I'm quite happy with it, and for the last few years I've mostly been using a Pelikan M150 and M600.

I should recommend Richard Binder for the best first time experience (http://www.richardspens.com/), as he tunes each pen before shipping. I've found about a 50/50 chance that any given pen I buy is going to need adjustment (at any price point).

Noodler's Bulletproof Black (just the regular black) is pretty much the only thing I use in a notebook, it's extremely resistant to bleed-through (thus you can use both sides of each page).

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I use a Waterman and either Bank Black which is an iron oxide ink made especially for the Bank of England or one of the French brands.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I do keep a 3"x5" spiral notepad next to my spot where I list things like what to reorder and wish lists and other random thoughts.
I usually use the back of a piece of junk mail. These get lost, thrown out, or saved in some place or another where I have somehow accumulated huge piles of paper work and have in piles, boxes, briefcases and shoe boxes. Everything from bank records before I digitized, to holiday cards, pay stubs from the last 35 yrs or who knows what? I don't know why. I pile stuff up like a hoarder.

Pipes may become a motivation for me to become more organized and presentable. I'm looking at the walls in my living room and designing bookcases, pipe racks, desks and entertainment woodworks in my imagination.

Unfortunately, along with hoarding, I procrastinate.

Mar 1, 2014
-condorlover1
I use a Waterman and either Bank Black which is an iron oxide ink made especially for the Bank of England or one of the French brands.
Now I've got a hankering for some ESSRI, haven't tried it yet but it's supposed to be very good (http://www.registrarsink.co.uk/registrars_ink.html).

Apparently they're having trouble keeping Shakespeare's writing intact because of the acidity of the ink. Modern stuff won't be as strong though.

Status
Not open for further replies.