PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
Well I was the only one to bid on it, its a dunhill tanshell, the only problem is that it has a replacement stem, not bad looking over all but not a dunhill white dot.
Maybe I will look around for a replacemnt dunhill stem
Here it is
Tell me what you think

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Yeah, you GOTTA replace that stem!
Walker Briar Works does replacement Dunhill stems w/ white spot.

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
Walker Briar Works does replacement Dunhill stems w/ white spot.
Yeah I saw that, its not bad, I have also seen whispers about a replacement dunhill stem, actually made by dunhill, and they run about 60 bucks, I think walker briar works will be good enough for me though

adam12

Part of the Furniture Now
May 16, 2011
Dude I'd spring for a real Dunhill stem. I mean that pipe with a Dunhill stem will probably retain its value, plus you're going to be spending the money for a stem anyway, and it will look extremely badass.
It's like buying a 1965 Mustang and putting an Isuzu engine in it.

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
It's like buying a 1965 Mustang and putting an Isuzu engine in it.
Hey thats what Cubans do in Cuba. So it looks like crap, it smokes till you get the replacement stem. I say enjoy it till you get the stem, then dont enjoy it embrace.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
I'd spring for the replacement stem from dunhill. You've come this far. No reason to cut yourself short.
Nice pipe fo sho!

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Normally I'd agree with you, adam12. If you're going to replace it, replace it with an AUTHENTIC Dunhill stem. But Dave Wolf at Walker does AMAZING work. He did a replacement Barling stem for me (w/ the crossed BARLING logo) and it's indistinguishable in look or feel from my other Barling stems.
But if you're going to go with Walker, get on Dave's list NOW. Waiting sucks!

standardgewehr

Might Stick Around
Feb 2, 2011
Are Dunhill stems all the same size, or are they individually fit at the factory?
Walker Briar Works (or similar, although I do recommend WBW) might be the only way to go...

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
Are Dunhill stems all the same size, or are they individually fit at the factory?
Walker Briar Works (or similar, although I do recommend WBW) might be the only way to go...
That was what I was thinking, I figured that would just make it easier

maineyachtie

Can't Leave
Aug 14, 2010
Terrible stem. Who wants to look at yellow pipe slime through their stem. Moronic.
Overall nice acquisition though.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Any Dunhill under a hundred bucks is a good score, regardless of the stem. Replacement stems are worth the money if you want the look, but as long as the stem you have passes smoke, smoke it!

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I can't read the year number, maybe a "5"? If so, a 1965 and that should be a great smoker.
I actually like that stem, but I have two Perspex stemmed GBD's.
Let us know how she smokes and what year it is.
$(KGrHqR,!iIE8Kt9S+YOBPTRZRP-JQ~~60_12.JPG

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Hey, found your pipe on an old Ebay auction from 2008, it has the number at "9" which is 1969 (I believe..).
Same stem, has to be yours. I still like that stem...
http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/dunhill-tanshell-pipe-c137-made-in-england-9-4-t-1

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
I dont think its horrible, I like the GBD's with it, that means it will work for a while, but I would like to get a stem at some point in the future

recoilrob

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 16, 2011
I've put the "White Spot" on black replacement stems by drilling a hole the proper diameter of the "Spot" in the right place and filling it with white epoxy. Just make sure to not drill into the bore of the stem, just drill deep enough to give the epoxy some purchase. Fill with epoxy and let it stand a little proud of the stems surface. When it cures a light touch with some fine grit paper to take off any excess, buff and wax and you're good to go.
Dunhill replacement stems used to be made by a man in NJ, not sure if they still do that anymore but AFAIK they don't go back to England.
BTW, jchaplick, I see in the post of your pipe for sale back in 2008 that it's stamped C137. I believe the "C" means it was a Churchwarden and the bowl looks very much like a Dunhill Churchwarden I have. The length of the shank and the cant of the bowl are very similar to my pipe on the left in the photo below.

If you do decide to have it restemmed as a churchwarden be warned. The Tanshell second from the left in the photo

also had a "C" and came with a short stem. I think it means it came with both short and Churchwarden stems. Anyway, I sent it to Dunhill to have it restemmed and the Churchwarden stem it came back with was way too thick and clunky, it had no grace at all. I had to have it reshaped by another pipe maker to get it right and you can see it still looks a bit thicker than the others.
P1120009.jpg

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
Good info, I think I will send it to walker briar works, and have a quarter bent 5 inch stem, I think that would look decent. I am not really looking for a church warden so I will stick with a regular stem.
Very good info though, I really appreciate it

Status
Not open for further replies.