PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rayje589

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2012
So I don't even know the last time I smoked a pipe, let alone bought tobacco. However, while on twitter I learned that McClelland is no more!? Upon learning this I took inventory of my frog mortons... 1 100g sealed tin of across the pond, 1 jared tin of FM and 1 sealed tin of FM. These are all about 5ish years old. Not that I smoke much to begin with I really don't want to smoke these now.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Yep, talk of this started late last year, and many of us bolstered up our McClelland stashes before the hammer finally fell.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have three unopened McClellands tins and a little in a jar, but I think I will go ahead and smoke them when the time comes, though my rate of smoking is fairly glacial. They've all been aged to some degree, and simply saving their rarity doesn't float my boat a whole lot. I am one of those who also enjoys many blends that are continuously available and could be for many years to come. So I say, by-and-by, enjoy your McClellands.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
You mean no more Early Morning Pipe? No! Just when I was getting ready to start trying out some of the non-aromatic blends.

Speaking of which, where should I navigate to on the site to learn more about these tobacco blends?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
sparrowhawk, I don't know, there is a world of good Va/Pers out there, something done to everyone's taste. I'm not happy about Dunhill's closing, but their influence has left a lot of matches and blends influenced by them. I'm working on C&D Tuggle Hall 965, which isn't Dunhill My Mixture 965, but is very good.

slowroll

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 25, 2017
There is a world of good tobacco from C&D, Gawith Hogarth, MacBaren and Peter Stokebbye. Many of them are fine alternatives to Dunhill's latakia blends.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
@sparrowhawk, use the Google custom search for pipesmagazine:

https://cse.google.com/cse/publicurl?cx=008472036822680023908:9k_idk5lbg8

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I was pretty bummed about McClelland cause I had planned on getting into their Virginia and VaPer blends this year. Now I have some and basically they're just gonna sit in my cellar to age and open on special occasions.

cohibajoe

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 2, 2018
Branchburg, NJ
Now I have some and basically they're just gonna sit in my cellar to age and open on special occasions.

I did get that Last batch from SP on FMC (30 Tins). I crawled the Web as finding McClelland was the Gold Rush. I did well and will Miss this Special brand.

Status
Not open for further replies.