Status
Not open for further replies.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
In the past I have heard people say that certain tobaccos gave them the hiccups. One of our first members here, "Mate", used to say that Latakia blends gave him the hiccups. Later that went away and now he loves Latakia blends.
Back in Oct at the Richmond show I sniffed an open tin of C&D's Crooner and it smelled wonderful. It has Deer Tongue in it, and Burley. When I went back to buy some they were sold out.
On Saturday at the St. Louis show, the same thing happened. I told Chris Tarlar I wanted some and he was sold out again. I guess there are a lot of fans of Crooner. He did have an open tin for sampling with some of the tobacco already taken out of it, and he was nice enough to just give it to me.
Yesterday, I got home after only 3-hours of sleep and started smoking Crooner and was hiccuping my brains out, and had a funny feeling in my stomach.
Bob said that happens when there is a high level of nicotine and they are called the "niccups". That is also why I had the funny feeling in my stomach, from all the nic content.
I had to keep putting the pipe down and relighting over several hours as I was determined to finish the bowl anyway.
Now I know why I was hiccuping and why I was able to stay up all day without a nap and not go to bed until 10:30, even though I only slept for 3 hours.
Has this ever happened to anyone else?
On a side note, Crooner is supposed to be a replica of Bing Crosby's favorite blend.

hilojohnny

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
Well, Kevin....I think "niccups" are real....they descend on me when I am smoking Five Brothers.... :laughat:

scrantonpipes16

Might Stick Around
Nov 28, 2010
I have never gotten hiccups from Smoking, but sometimes if I dont smoke for a couple of days I do get a nicotine "buzz" depending on the type of Tobacco I smoke of course.

tedswearingen

Can't Leave
Sep 14, 2010
Longs, South Carolina
I used to get the hiccups when I first started smoking a pipe in the late 1990s. Back then I was a cigarette smoker too, so I'm sure (in my case) the hiccups had nothing to do with the nicotine. I think my hiccups had to do more with the way I smoked my pipe. I never get those hiccups anymore. Although maybe I should keep my fingers crossed after such an absolute statement.

puffintuff

Can't Leave
Dec 14, 2010
Never got hiccups from smoking. A few years ago, a friend of mine had hiccups for 2 weeks straight. He tried everything. He finally went to the E.R. where they prescribed Thorazine.

bubbadreier

Lifer
Jul 30, 2010
Norman, Oklahoma
This actually kinda happened to me last night! I smoked a big bowl of 7 seas gold and followed it up by an even bigger bowl of Troost Aro Cav. and I got a funny feeling in my stomach. I also couldn't stop burping, it was a little weird!

zunismoke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 3, 2010
NC
Never got hiccups from a pipe, or any tobacco for that matter. I have had my throat hurt from smoking 5 brothers. Have not smoked it in about 10 years. I decided that there was nothing I particularly liked about smoking it, so I quit! Being the only tobak I ever smoked that made my throat hurt did not seem a good reason to continue.

zunismoke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 3, 2010
NC
Kevin, I smoked Middletons Cherry blend for many years. It has Deer tongue and I never noticed any propensity toward the hiccups with it.

krgulick

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
On occasion I get hiccups when I smoke 1792 Flake, but it is only for part of the bowl.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
I've been very curious about Crooner and deer tongue from the outset. I will be ordering 4 ounces soon to see what it's all about - it sounds very appealing to me, honest burley and subtle vanilla-like notes. I'm disappointed to hear it is a strong blend; the reviews I've read have lead me to believe it was milder than that. I'm somewhat opposed to high doses of nicotine - makes me feel ill.
All the same, I've never had "niccups"; I know I've had enough nicotine when I get dizzy, my heart starts racing, and my stomach gets a little sour. I'll be sure to keep it in mind in case it ever happens to me, but I intentionally avoid strong tobaccos.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Just the one time mentioned is the only time I got Niccups. Now I smoke stuff that would peel the paint off a 50 Ford! LOL!

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I've been smoking Gentleman Caller for months with no ill effects. It is close to Crooner with burley and deer tongue although it also has Va and perique.

I understand that C&D accumulated as much deer tongue as they could get which suggests that they have other blends in mind down the road?

Perhaps an experiment with Gentleman Caller and other deer tongue containing blends is in order. It is one way to determine if that herb is the culprit.

connolse

Lurker
Feb 20, 2010
I am, like some other above, pretty hardened to vitamin N, but I have had the 'niccups' twice recently.
In both cases, I admittedly smoked with too much gusto and overdid it, going for two or three bowls almost directly in a row, but it was also interesting that the two tobaccos in question were 1792 Flake and Royal Yacht.
Now 1792 is a nic monster, certainly, and Royal Yacht is no slouch either, but I found it interesting that both these blends are flavored with tonquin, quite heavily in the case of 1792.
I've smoked strong 'conventional' burleys and virginias a bit too much in my time as well, but I've never had this same sort of reaction.
Could it be the tonka bean that can also be a culprit, or at least a contributor, to this symptom in at least SOME of us? It is an extremely unpleasant sort of nauseous hiccup that I wish not to repeat. . .

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
OK guys... This is the first time I've heard of anyone getting "niccups".

I've heard others report: dizziness, nausea, vomiting, hives, headache and

irritability before, but this is a new one on me. :crazy:

Status
Not open for further replies.