PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

panamacharlie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 13, 2016
I keep seeing posts about evil mold, but how bad is it really? We breathe in literally millions of types of spores with every breath, some are very useful, even medicinal. So is it overreacting to toss a tin with a few white spots? Is there any data about anyone actually being damaged by smoking some slightly moldy tobacco?

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Roll the dice all the want. My health, even if I'm chicken little, it worth more than $12.99.
You are correct, spores are everywhere, but so is radiation. Doesn't mean I vacationing in Pripyat Reactor #4 (Chernobyl).

redglow

Lifer
Jan 7, 2019
Michigan
Knock on wood..... I haven't encountered mold yet. However, If I do, I'll just pitch it and move on and get another one.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
I've wondered about this myself. Can't find any conclusive answers, mostly anecdotal evidence. I seem to recall GL Pease writing about it, saying (more or less) that it depends on the type of mold. He argued that if it smells bad, it's almost certainly spoiled your tobacco's flavor. While in other cases if it's a small bit of mold, the offending part could be removed and still leave the remaining tobacco untainted.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Actually, there is information about this online. After the C&D Carolina Red disaster a couple of years ago, I did some looking and found answers. The bottom line, molds associated with tobacco are highly toxic.

Jimkinks contacted a friend of his who is a botanist to ask her about tobacco molds and her answer was simple. "Get rid of it!!"

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
I don't know Sable... I have some old moldy Nightcap I'm saving for a special occasion. :D

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
The mold we breathe is randomly scattered throughout the atmosphere at a concentration of one part per zillion.
Pulling a soggy, fuzzy flake from a tin or jar and then setting it ablaze in order to take in the particulate laden smoke is a serious concentration of said molds directly into your body.
It's the difference between smelling nasty exhaust while crossing the street versus running your car in the closed garage while doing your deep breathing exercises sitting by the tail pipe.
jay-roger.jpg

64alex

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2016
There is no way to say if you don't know what kind of mold it is. It is like saying if mushrooms are dangerous, some are delicious and some are deadly, you cannot really say by naming just mushrooms.
As a general rule I would be conservative and reject a baccy which has obvious mold unless I am sure of the contrary.

The real issue is what to do when we are not sure if it is mold or plum. My impression is that most of the times we think it is plum it is actually mold and here it comes the difficult decision to make.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
My scientist friend - a genetic botanist - said that smoking mold could get into your system and cause serve damage, even death. If it gets into your lungs, you are in big trouble. She has 37 years of experience, and she knows better than we do. Saving a few bucks isn't worth the potential problems.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Pulling a soggy, fuzzy flake from a tin or jar and then setting it ablaze in order to take in the particulate laden smoke is a serious concentration of said molds directly into your body.
It's the difference between smelling nasty exhaust while crossing the street versus running your car in the closed garage while doing your deep breathing exercises sitting by the tail pipe.
The analogy of the year! Excellent!

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
According to the Anti's and the FDA, smoking is going to kill everyone on the planet so why accelerate the process by smoking moldy tobacco?

pepesdad1

Lifer
Feb 28, 2013
Ash as always has the best line of the group..." Doesn't mean I vacationing in Pripyat Reactor #4 (Chernobyl."
I mean...that is seriously funny!!! Thanks for the laugh!!!

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
Eh, we all die eventually. If the mold doesn't get ya old age will.
Still, I'd rather not die from smoking out of a shitty tin.

mindglue

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 24, 2016
No fear Amphotericin B is here. On a serious note, I would not take a chance with a mold/fungal infection, potentially is extremely resistant and difficult to threat as a systemic :evil:

Status
Not open for further replies.