PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
I managed to score a smooth Cooke pipe for $80!!!! i finally found a pipe that slipped through!! I am VERY excited. I mean obviously it isn't one of his legendary blasts, but still a straight grain smooth Cooke is still a Cooke

May 31, 2012
Wow!
Not only is it a beautiful pipe, it has historical value too.
Congrats on a great grab at the perfect time of year!
Smoke it well

and enjoy!

:puffy:

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
<p>Ya know those auctions which are at a crazy low price? Then in the last seconds it jumps through the ceiling? It was at $75 and I waited for it to go to $600+ and bam... It says $80 "pay now?" Gah that feels good.... But I do feel kinda bad for seller

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
That is a nice shape and size.
I think its his blasts that really go for the stellar money. Definitely do not see too many smooth Cooke's around.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Yes, I have one his blasts and they are EPIC... As they should be for the price! Finding a Cooke for $80 though makes me love it even more!! :D

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
I have yet to hear back concerning the numbers on the pipe. However, in the meantime, I'm "commissioning" a custom Cooke piece. It's SOOOO weird that it's less expensive to have a Cooke built to your specs than to buy one used. So weird.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I almost bid on that one. I'm not a huge fan of the blasts (thank goodness), but that small, early pipe is right up my alley. I'm sure it will be drilled perfectly and will probably be a great pipe for VAs and flakes. Congrats!

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Since I'm now a customer of his, we was when willing to tell what little info he had....
Nate

That pipe is about 25 years old It was sold by Barry Levin when I worked for him.

I can not remember what the numbering was for sorry

JT

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Nate, that's great you got to ask Cooke himself about the pipe. Cooke also admits he doesn't remember a whole lot of anything about certain periods of his career (half tongue in cheek?). I never knew that he sold pipes with Barry Levin under his own name. I suspect that would be news to a lot of collectors, actually.
He also made a line of rusticated pipes for Levin that were labeled "LPI" (Levin Pipes International). They come around now and again and don't usually sell for too much, but they're great pipes with perfect "engineering." Ironically, Levin had another pipemaker (not Cooke) make his line of sandblasted pipes -- some guy named William Ashton Taylor.
BTW, what's your commission supposed to look like?

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Being able to track down information like this is what makes collecting so fascinating!! Was thrilled to get his response. I'd no idea he has been putting his name on pipes for so long. Very interesting
My commissioned pipe I'm so very excited about. When making a pipe he defaults to a size 5. He asked me to pick a shape from his pages, then he gives color options. I opted for the largest 6 he'd be comfy doing blasted in black w/Amber stem. This shape....

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
Very nice score and a nice piece of American piping history, nate! Being able to contact the movers and shakers in the pipe making world and actually getting an enthusiastic and honest response is one of the things i love most about our small little nook of a community. The amount of genuinely good people, both pipe makers and pipe smokers, is astounding.
I remember a while back, i won a briarworks Nachwalter pipe off ebay for a good price. I emailed Elliott personally about the dating of the pipe and while he did not know exactly what year it was made, he gave me a rough estimate to the best of his knowledge. Turned out to be from the late '70s, if i remember correctly. Pretty cool stuff. Speaking of which, i really need to get that damn briarworks pipe fixed, as it is the first and only pipe i have broken the tenon off of in the mortise. User error, live and learn. That pipe smokes and looks great and is in phenominal condition considering its age. And its a danish shape to boot!
Anyways, congrats and let us know how she smokes!

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Layinpipe, I couldn't have said it better myself. It's a tight knit community that the Internet has VERY much shaped! I'm a new collector, but I imagine things were very different way back when. Being able to reach out to an American legend, order a pipe and ask questions, to have him response is amazing. It literally gives me the chills!
Pitchfork, that's the hard part although I'd've guessed it'd take even longer. He seemed confident I'd have the pipe by Aug/Sept. If gauged by time felt, it'll seem like a couple years. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.