PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bernie2

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 23, 2015
Can you think of a better place to enjoy a few bowls?
8XLSTUK.jpg

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Maybe: Depends on the weather. Where I am in N. CA it's hot, so the aft cockpit of a nice sailing vessel swinging on the anchor in a light breeze might top it for me.
But gorgeous spot you have there.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Beautiful! Let us know how you enjoyed your stay.
My wife and I are headed to Tennessee for 2 weeks in August. First part will be spent in Nashville and the rest camping in the Smokies. I so can't wait for the trip to start. Going to visit a couple pipe shops in Nashville while we are there too. :puffy:

bernie2

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 23, 2015
We're in Pigeon Forge...rented a little cabin in the mountains for the week. The mountain views are great, but the area around pigeon forge (Dollywood) is a bit too touristy for my tastes.
I'm almost embarrassed to admit that I'm enjoying my first morning smoke ever. A bowl Boswell's north woods in a good cob with a cup of coffee is turning out to be a very tasty treat! I may have to work this into my daily routine when I get back from vacation.

doctorthoss

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 6, 2011
You are just down the road from me, actually, and I once lived about five minutes from where you are enjoying your Northwoods. Not only do I love this area (I would love to live in the mountains again someday), you are enjoying a blend that I consider uniquely matched to the surroundings. Enjoy!

dulgunz

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2015
I am very jealous!! Reminds me so much of home, West Virginia. Man I need to go home and visit now.

doctorthoss

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 6, 2011
Btw you might want to check out the Gatlinbulier in the Mountain Mall in Gatlinburg. That was my primary tobacconist for the first 15 years or so that I have smoked. They live on tourist trae, of course, so their prices are a bit steep on some items, but they have some damn fine pipes (they used to have a great collection of Dunhill Christmas Pipes, and I bet they still have a few). On the more budget conscious side, I would recommend their house pipes -- I feel they are the best smokers on the market for the price (most are south of $60, and they smoke like a Sav or Stanwell at half the price). I'd also recommend some house blends : Gatlinburley, Smokies Smoke Ease, and Mountain Mall Mix. If you like Northwoods but want more sweetness, also try Cumberland (if Northwoods is as sweet as you want to go, then stick with the others and avoid Cumberland).

bernie2

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 23, 2015
Thanks for the info @doctorthoss. I'll check out the gatlinbulier when we head into gatlinburg tomorrow.

PlanxtyPipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2013
I also second the recommendation of Gatlinburlier. When my wife and I were in Gatlinburg a couple of years ago I stopped by the shop. It's very strange seeing a tobacconist (in which you can smoke) inside of a mall. Don't see that around much these days! The staff was extremely friendly. As doctorthoss said, some of their tinned tobacco was slightly over market price since they are tourism based, but their bulk was priced fair enough. I picked up a couple of ounces each of Gatlinburley and Smokies Smoke Ease and can recommend them both. The shop is definitely worth a visit!

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
I thought that ridge looked familiar. Definitely go by the Burlier and see Richard, he's top notch, as is their Gatlinburly.

vfefrenzy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 4, 2014
Welcome to town, Bernie. Always nice to have more pipe-smokers in Sevier County even if just for a few days.

Sjmiller CPG

(sjmiller)
May 8, 2015
Morgan County, Tennessee
According to legend, in the distant past a group of Indian chiefs met in those mountains to work out some sort of peace treaty. According to tradition they were not allowed to do anything except parlay until a position acceptable to all had been reached. After many hours of fruitless discussion one of the chiefs picked up his pipe and began smoking it as a way to pass the time. The others did likewise and soon all the chiefs were smoking. This violated the sacred tradition of the parlay and as a result their actions angered The Great Spirit and he turned them into ghost flowers, which are said to grow where ever two friends fight. The Great Spirit left the smoke from their pipes hanging in the sky over the mountains as a reminder of what had happened, vowing that it would remain there until the entire world was at peace. Hence the name the Smokey Mountains.

vfefrenzy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 4, 2014
If you're bored in Tennessee, that's on you. Between the mountains, lakes, and rivers we've got glorious nature out the wazoo. As the birthplace of country music, there's always a show to be found. There are sports to play or watch year-round. Locally, we've an overabundance of distilleries. The craft beer scene is growing. Now everything may not be in walking distance, but it's there for you to experience.

Sjmiller CPG

(sjmiller)
May 8, 2015
Morgan County, Tennessee
True, WE do have all of that but WE also have some small towns that are a great distance from any of that. For a person who can't drive the fact that nothing is within walking distance can be quite an obstacle and thus result is some very boring days.

Status
Not open for further replies.