Just got the winning bid on a 1940s Dunhill Shell!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
That's a VERY sharp pipe. I bet it cleans up nicely. A good cleaning is probably all the shank needs to get that stem back inside.
I would wait a bit after I cleaned it in case you were thinking about altering or sanding the tenon to trim it down. IMO sometimes wet briar gets a little puffed up and it could throw your sizing off. What fits one day sometimes is loose the next.
Please pose pics when you get it back up and running!

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
It will be interesting to see better photos. The eBay listing photos suck, which always makes bidding difficult. I think that you did well, though. Looks like a lot of cake there on the rim that will have actually preserved things a bit. Keep us informed!

sailorjeremy

Can't Leave
Feb 25, 2014
Virginia
Thanks for having me gents! Yea I will deff be posting better pics when it gets to me. I was a little worried about the stem not meeting the shank but I'm sure it either wasn't set in all the way or it just needs a good cleaning. Prob gonna send this one out to Walker. I'd rather let the pros take care of this one. I don't trust myself enough to be messing around with such an old pipe :P

elpfeife

Lifer
Dec 25, 2013
It looks like you landed a handsome one. Somewhat sadly, the vendor is selling off a heritage from his grandfather. But now it belongs to someone who can appreciate it.

aquilas

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2013
Wow! What a steal you got! Can't wait to see more pics of when you get her and clean her up!

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Seller had some really nice pipes, this Dunhill, going by the 4S mark is from the 1951-4 period. The mortise probably just needs a good cleaning. Well done.

crazypipe

Lifer
Sep 23, 2012
35jcd5f.jpg

sailorjeremy

Can't Leave
Feb 25, 2014
Virginia
Woah! That's some damn good work Sam! Those are beautiful! The seller had some really nice pipes. It is a bit sad that he sold off his grandfather's pipes, but I intend to keep the legend alive :)

frennchy11

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 28, 2011
:clap: Congrats! That is my favorite shape and it looks like you got it for a great price as well!

Status
Not open for further replies.