PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
On my way home from my trip I stopped at an antique store in Columbia, SC. It was an awesome shop crammed full of stuff, and right up at the front I found a tray full of pipes. I ended up with a Peterson Killarney, 2 Savinellis, an Irish Second, and the jewel of the lot a Don Carlos Canadian. It is 10 inches long, the briar section just a little over 8 inches, yes that is right, this thing is huge. I did a little research on pipepedia, but I'm trying to figure out how much this thing might be worth. It needs restored of course, and I will post pics soon. Anyone know anything about these? I'm still trying to sort out my photobucket woes so I posted a pic here https://www.facebook.com/ThePipery.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Emailed Tarek Manadily. Peck gave me a great link to his page. This was his response, very helpful. He also gave me the name of someone else who might be of assistance, I've emailed him and will see.

Hello Dave,
From your description, I would have bet my life on the pipe being rusticated, but then when I saw your FB pic, the pipe looked smooth!
Anyway, the far majority of such long pipes are rusticated, and Bruto (the maker) was always very reluctant to put any notes on rusticated pipes, mainly because it was not needed (it's rusticated, tan or black, and it's clear to the eye). At certain periods, the US importer pressured him to put notes also on the rusticated, but that's a different story.
That said, and if your pipe is indeed smooth, then I assume it was not graded for more or less the same reason. Sometimes, the lacking of grading is part of making the pipe special. From my experience, I can say that such a pipe would never deserve more than one note.
What makes your pipe quite special is the length. Bruto never used "Mega" for the extra length, or any other markings, for that matter. Putting how long the pipe is has always been sufficient to indicate the uniqueness of the pipe.
As far as pricing is concerned, such pipes never followed a fixed pricing scheme. It all depended on the individual piece and the circumstances. I would expect it to cost at least 2-3 times the price of regular pipe in the same grade.

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
Wow, that is a huge hunk of Briar Dave. Not to be disrespectful in any way but that pipe deserves its own theme song.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KC5j0dTw1BI

Status
Not open for further replies.