Just Finished This Billiard Really Tried to Pay Attention to Straight Lines

(30 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by shikano53
  • Latest reply from shikano53
  1. shikano53

shikano53

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Been away for a bit. I finished this billiard the other day and thought I would post a few pics. I tried to take some pics while holding the straight edge I use with one hand while taking the picture with the other hand. There is one cosmetic flaw on the rim that opened up when I was turning it on the lathe. Don't even thing about getting me started on briar wastage.

I'm not happy with the color. I wanted something with more burgundy and darker. Next time. I really tried to pay attention to straight lines. I also messed up with my air hole drilling. It's about 1mm off center. Anyway, this is the result. Oh, and I'm trying to use up the last of my Pre-cast stems as well, so this stem is vulcanite.
    Take care folks!

Posted 1 year ago #
  2. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well done! From the photo, it doesn't look like it's drilled off center enough to be a concern.

Arrrrr, shiver me timbers! International Talk Like a Pirate Day is September the 19th!!!
    Brothers Of The Black Frigate
    Posted 1 year ago #
  3. ben88

ben88

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

And color is absolutely perfect.

Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch’entrate
    Posted 1 year ago #
  4. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That is a nice looking pipe, gorgeous birdseye. How long have you been making pipes?

Harris
    Posted 1 year ago #
  5. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well done! Do I have this right? There's a tiny taper from the bowl to the stem, which is continued by the stem until it really tapers off.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  6. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Looks great to me!

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 1 year ago #
  7. mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

mothernature

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You gotta love a billiard. Nice job and thanks for sharing the pictures!

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. shikano53

shikano53

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thank you for the kind comments.
    Well done! Do I have this right? There's a tiny taper from the bowl to the stem, which is continued by the stem until it really tapers off.

jp, I'm really going to show my ignorance here; yes there is a small taper if you are looking at the first picture. I tried to keep everything as flat and straight as I could. Probably should have worked that back a bit more.
    Harris, I've been muddling away now for a little more than a year. Kind of the one step forward two steps back deal.
    I gotta post this on the PMF and get their feedback. I will do that later this evening.
    Chris

Posted 1 year ago #
  9. scrooge

scrooge

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Chris looks like a winner to me except for the split. Keep going!!

Posted 1 year ago #
  10. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

By no means was that a critique- cause it looks like it should to my eye.

Posted 1 year ago #
  11. danielplainview

dave g

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

What a beaut. Well done sir.

Make aromatics great again.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  12. tschiraldi

tschiraldi

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Gorgeous! I'd be proud to own it!

Posted 1 year ago #
  13. shikano53

shikano53

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks again folks.
    jp, no worries man! All comments welcome and good!
    Waiting to hear back from some of the folks on the PMF and then incorporate into my next try.
    Chris

Posted 1 year ago #
  14. tbradsim1

tbradsim1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Very good lines, pipe flows, you've done very well IMHO.

The Old Cajun
    Posted 1 year ago #
  15. User has not uploaded an avatar

lestrout

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yo shik

The color is perfect to me - I love those golden undertones. And the very slight taper to the shank and stem makes the flow of the lines very graceful and organic.

hp
    les

Posted 1 year ago #
  16. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It's good to be self-critical in honing your skills, but that pipe's a classic and a beauty. The billiard is the paradigm of a pipe.

Posted 1 year ago #
  17. theloniousmonkfish

theloniousmonkfish

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well done, I like the taper too.

Posted 1 year ago #
  18. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That is some nice work for only a year or so. Are you using top quality German vulcanite for your stems? I also think the color is a good choice. Any darker and it may not show off that birdseye as well.

Posted 1 year ago #
  19. perdurabo

perdurabo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I like it.

It's not my position nor want to help another man. It's his responsibility to help himself, as where he can learn to dig down deep enough to save himself. -I. Kidd
    Posted 1 year ago #
  20. shikano53

shikano53

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Again, thank you for all the comments.
    Harris, that stem is a preformed vulcanite stem from VFH. I have various acrylic rod and Black, Japanese Ebonite rods that I have used a few times. Right now I'm trying to use up the preformed because I have so many of them.

I haven't used any Cumberland yet for two reasons: cost and my fear of destroying very expensive product.
    So I practice with the much cheaper acrylic and Japanese ebonite.
    It's coming. I use the slot files from VFH and I also picked up an assortment of recommended files suggested by folks on the PMF board from Otto Frei.

James, that isn't a spit as in a catastrophic split that would cause burn through or destroy the pipe. It's a pit/flaw. Other than making the pipe unsalable and me pissed off and ranting to my wife about briar, it won't affect the smoking characteristics of the pipe.
    I know, I know, the check is in the mail, don't worry it's only a cold sore... etc.

Posted 1 year ago #
  21. shikano53

shikano53

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

So I've been thinking... YES! I have a brain. Well depends who you talk to. If you talk to my youngest grandkids they will confirm that I am the smartest person in the universe. On the other hand if you talk to my wife she will, she will, umm, snort. Yeah.
    But I digress.

Since I have a drawer full of cast offs, B and C level pipes. Pipes with weird chunks and shapes that I smoke because I feel guilty about throwing them out or giving them to my daughters golden retriever for a chew toy I thought I would do the following.

How about I donate it to someone who would maybe just like to put a bowl or three through it just to see how it smokes and give it a review. An honest, it smokes just fine or this thing is a potato review. Either is good by me.

All I ask is the postage which I can tell you from sending out similar packages it would be $17.52 CAD

If you already have one of my potatoes, I would ask that you please pass on this one and allow a different member to scoop it.
    If nobody scoops it I will chuck it my drawer of lost pipes and put a bowl or three through it myself while wrapped in my electric blanket in the dark cold garage murmuring darkly to myself about briar wastage.
    Cheers all
    Chris

Posted 1 year ago #
  22. newbroom

newbroom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've listened to several pipe makers on the Pipes Magazine Radio Show with Brian Levine, and;
    to a person, they said they were not great in the beginning, often regretting even allowing some of their early work out the front door.
    It seems the natural progression is: turds, good shit, exceptional bowel movement

I've watched your progress, Chris, from the beginning, and you were function first right away, which I think showed good instinct.
    Your finishing is always very nice too, from the pics I've seen.
    I've observed that pipe makers are mostly motivated by the intrinsic beauty of a well crafted utensil, and that overcoming obstacles to achieve such pieces is where the real art lies.
    Your turd pipes, Chris, are likely very nice smoking and unique pieces that show your steps forward and stumbles backward as you've developed your understanding of the craft. Therefore, they are potentially priceless examples of 'the beginning' of the legendary C. Besse line.
    Enjoy yourself, and continue to share your efforts with us to enjoy as well!
    Nice work on the billiard!

Posted 1 year ago #
  23. luigi

luigi

Login to Send PM

That's a very nice looking pipe. What a grain! I guess you did it from scratch? I'm curious how old was that cube of briar. Is there any information how long had it grown before cut?

Posted 1 year ago #
  24. shikano53

shikano53

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks Mike, I had some good feedback from the Pro's on the PMF but when you ask for a critique you have to put your big girl panties on and suck it up.
    So today I will go to my dwindling supply of briar and go eenie-meenie...

luigi, I get all my briar from a single source. The briar is from Greece and it has been out of the ground for a lot of years. I purchase ebauchon blocks and plateaux blocks.

Posted 1 year ago #
  25. joeman

joeman

Login to Send PM

Along with good shape and flow, I love the golden tone and contrast...and I like your silver dot! Nice work.

JoeMan
    Posted 1 year ago #
  26. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Beautiful pipe!!

Michael
    Posted 1 year ago #
  27. shikano53

shikano53

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Dam it Mike, as my technical advisor how many times do I have to tell you not to refer to. My shit as turds? They are potatoes Dam it!
    Mind you, most of your advice consists of, " if you'd listened to me in the first place or I hate to say it but I told you so" kind of advice.

Posted 1 year ago #
  28. shikano53

shikano53

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

All joking aside; I realize that mastering all the nuances of proper design is much more difficult than what appears at first look. The only way to gain that instinctive ability to just 'know' a shape, a line, a curve is correct takes a great deal of time and practice. And to me that means failing often and to keep trying with each little bit of corrective information as it comes.

Posted 1 year ago #
  29. scrooge

scrooge

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Chris all bullsh-t aside. Your making great pipes an offering them at very great prices and are good smokers. Besides yourself I would know more most others. I've smoked all 7 of mine an not a "turd" or bad one in the bunch. I personally want to Thank You for mine.

I would love to get ahold of the ones you throwed in the draw. for work pipes. But I understand where your coming from on giving others a chance. By the way Great Jesture.

A loyal customer for life. James/scrooge

Posted 1 year ago #
  30. shikano53

shikano53

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the nod of approval James and I'm glad your seven day set are all smoking just fine for you.

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   dino, jiminks, sablebrush52