Just Finished Building My Wine Cellar...

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
OK...it's sort of a wine cellar with a lot of other things thrown in the mix...featuring a 120" projection screen that drops down from under the drape, a late 1800's Parker shotgun from the family cabin in Oxford, a wood carving of my grandfather smoking a pipe carved by my father, one of my early carvings from 40 years ago, and a couple of pre-Columbian artifacts given to Greta by her father,a few of our favorite wines, some of my pipes that I've carved- (still need to add a pipe rack on the other side), and a few of my favorite flake tobaccos...Time to get back in the shop and make some pipes!

k9avxc.jpg

4if0b8.jpg

14bkfup.jpg

2v956x2.jpg

ka4mf9.jpg

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
A Parker with outside hammers! I AM envious. Does it have Damascus barrels?
I don't think so- hard to tell from the condition of the barrels. My great grandfather split the stock on it in the late 1800's(I suspect he was somewhat liquored up at the time) and threw it under the kitchen at the family homestead in Oxford Mississippi. It stayed there until the cabin was torn down in 1990 and the crew found it...
...and after looking at some pictures, I realized that this must be older than I thought- maybe 1840-1860?...

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
zack24:
According to Peter H. Johnson in his book titled "Parker - America's Finest Shotgun," Parker adopted the use of a hammerless-type lock mechanism in 1889, so it may pre-date that year. If you will PM me with the gun's serial number, then I will be able to tell you definitively when it was manufactured. You will find serial numbers on the forend iron, on the barrel flats, and on the water table, and all should match.

ivapewithfire

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 26, 2014
West Virginia, USA
I love the idea of hanging pipes that way.
Is there any issue with hanging them by the stem without supporting the bowl?
I'm looking at a good way to store my future pipe collection. What you have added to you wine cellar looks like a great way to go about making some pipe racks.
I'm new to pipe smoking and have no experience in what is good, bad, or otherwise. That is why I'm asking about hanging/displaying a pipe in that manner.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
@ivapewithfire That was a fast & dirty hanger- I've got a huge party at the house today and needed to finish the wine cellar and get the pipes up quick.

Making it is easy- Set up a guide rail on your drill press and use eight 3/4" blocks as spacers. Drill with 1/2" forstner- remove one block. Drill the 2nd hole- remove two blocks...and keep doing that . It leaves you with a 1/4" space between the two dowels that actually hold the pipe and a wider gap to separate the pipes vertically. No issues with hanging the pipes that way...I like it because you can hang a bunch of pipes by making it longer....
@huntertrw - Can't find any serial numbers- The fact that this is a muzzle loader instead of the breechloaders of the late 1800's tells me it must be one of the early ones...

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
@cmdrmcbragg
Where are the speakers for the record player? Mounted out of the picture?
They are hidden behind the woodcarvings- a couple of little KEF speakers...very nice sound....
@tbradsim1
a little shrine for the Memories

Thanks Bradley- That's what I was aiming for...

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
zack24:
"...at the family homestead in Oxford Mississippi." That phrase has been tinkling a little bell in my memory since I read it yesterday, and now I know why. Oxford was once the home of the late author William Faulkner.
Are you an Oxford native?

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
"Can't find any serial numbers- The fact that this is a muzzle loader instead of the breechloaders of the late 1800's tells me it must be one of the early ones..."
According to Mr. Johnson of the aforementioned book, the Parker Brothers (John and Charles) of Meriden, Connecticut first manufactured and marketed shotguns under their name in 1868. This was within just a few years after the introduction of the shot-shell designed for use with breach-loading guns. Accordingly, although yours is stamped "Parker," because it is a muzzle-loader I do not believe it was manufactured by the Parker Brothers company; that style of weapon is much older. If I had to guess I would posit that yours was manufactured in Belgium. As for who your "Parker" actually was, I do not know.

Status
Not open for further replies.