Just Cleaned Up A Peterson Dunmore, Anyone Else Have One?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I got this Peterson Dunmore shape 72 pretty cheap because it needed some TLC. It had some weird cake inside, it only went down about 3/4 of the way, and then its like the bowl widened out at the bottom. Never seen cake built up like that. Took some serious reaming to get it evened out. The outside of the pipe was very dirty and dark, and the stampings were faint, but with some elbow grease I managed to get it clean and polished up, as well as cleaning the oxidation off the stem. Inside of the pipe was full of gunk and nasty stuff too that took some effort to clean out.
I find this a rather odd Peterson, as far as the style goes. It's a system pipe but has a rather fussy style to it with the beaded carving at the shank end. I guess they made them starting in the late 70's and stopped them in the 90's sometime. I'm not sure what to think of it as far as the style goes, but it does smoke nice. Although I have to admit, I don't like it as much as my other Peterson system pipe, which is a pre-republic pipe, as the bit on this one is quite a bit larger. I find I like the p-lip better if they're smaller. Mine did come with the original box, sock, and papers including a packing slip dated 5/81.
Anyone else have any experiences with this model of Peterson? What do you think of them?

img_0295-600x450.jpg

img_0294-600x450.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I can't tell what size pipe it is. It looks smallish, but I can't really tell. I like the stem, though it seems

somewhat ornate for the modest traditional bowl. The stem is all-over Peterson, but the bowl looks

like a French pipe. You've done a great job of sprucing it up. It looks about new. It didn't grab me

right off, but I think it might grow on a person. I have one P-lip pipe, which I enjoy, but I don't buy

them otherwise.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
mso, thanks for the interest, but I can tell you that it's not a small pipe, but not huge either. According to what I read on Jim Lilly's Peterson blog, they made these in three large shapes, which mine is one of, and three small/medium shapes. He says they re-introduced the pipe name in the mid 2000s, but they were a different style than the originals. They were then discontinued in 2010.
shaintiques, glad to hear you like yours, I feel this one will grow on me.
There seems to be no end to different pipes to discover.

morton

Part of the Furniture Now
May 3, 2012
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
I've got two, both estates in the queue for restoration. They're both in good shape, fairly large and have no bowl interior issues that I can see. One is smooth, the other rusticated but are almost exactly matched in size. The bowls need a slight cleaning/buffing on the outside, insides are clean but the stem on one needs some serious attention for oxidation issues. I like the detail work on the bowl where the stem attaches - not ornate but a nice little touch. A thorough cleaning and they should both be good smokers, I hope. I do like my Petersons after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.